Sponsored

Question about Pro Trailer Hitch Assist

scho7623

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Hi folks,

I'm having an issue with getting the Pro Trailer Hitch Assist to work with my weight distribution hitch. I use WeighSafe True Tow Middleweight weight distribution hitch. It is a bit more sticking out in the back of the truck than a normal hitch. I'm guessing this is why the Pro Trailer Hitch Assist is not working. The truck thinks there is an object in the way blocking.

Has anyone worked around this issue when using your Pro Trailer Hitch Assist?

Ford F-150 Question about Pro Trailer Hitch Assist IMG_6368
Ford F-150 Question about Pro Trailer Hitch Assist IMG_6367

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Looks like the ultrasonic sensors are seeing it and detecting it as an object. It is quite large. The 45 degree sides are perfect to reflect back a lot of signal. I've never used it to back into a trailer myself, the camera makes it easy.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Looks like the ultrasonic sensors are seeing it and detecting it as an object. It is quite large. The 45 degree sides are perfect to reflect back a lot of signal. I've never used it to back into a trailer myself, the camera makes it easy.
I agree. I've never used the assist feature to hook up. When I get close to the trailer, I hit the zoom button and I line it up first try 90%+ of the time.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
The regular "hitch view" works very well. I can line it up solo first try 9 times out of 10 just using that. I start with the normal backup view to get in the general area and on the right line (the black center line), and then when I get close I switch to hitch view.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I just tried this feature (+-) a dozen times.

Don't think it is quite ready for prime time, in other than lab conditions.

Even with the slightest slope, it declares as too much and shuts down.

Moved to a flatter spot but then the sun was at the truck's back and the trailer was in the shade, it stopped, saying there was an obstruction.

Moving the trailer to the sun too, helped a lot but never did get directly under the hitch. Wrapping the chains up helped a little but not enough. It stopped short, saying it was done and the same to the side and several times over ran the red line, forcing me to stop it. Never really got closer than 10 or so inches.

I'll try it again on an overcast day, see if that matters but at the moment, a fancy toy, that doesn't work and may never work faster than you can with just the cameras.

Sponsored

FordPrefect

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Platinum PB, R1200RT, Fuell Flluid
Best guess is that you''re right - the truck can't find the hitch ball using the tailgate camera. I have no real-world experience but wonder if there's a second hole the square tube that slides into the receiver, that you could run the hitch pin through instead. Maybe a different angle presented to the tailgate camera would help.

For whatever it is worth, I am using an Andersen WDH and the feature works every time. However I'm using it with a short rise and the design of the WDH then puts nothing in between the camera and the ball - the hitch-ball is super-obvious to the tailgate camera. Sometimes it is off by an inch or so, but always front-to-back, so easy to fix with an extra moment in Drive or Reverse.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Best guess is that you''re right - the truck can't find the hitch ball using the tailgate camera. I have no real-world experience but wonder if there's a second hole the square tube that slides into the receiver, that you could run the hitch pin through instead. Maybe a different angle presented to the tailgate camera would help.

For whatever it is worth, I am using an Andersen WDH and the feature works every time. However I'm using it with a short rise and the design of the WDH then puts nothing in between the camera and the ball - the hitch-ball is super-obvious to the tailgate camera. Sometimes it is off by an inch or so, but always front-to-back, so easy to fix with an extra moment in Drive or Reverse.
Interesting.

I just had a plain shank and ball. It wasn't that it couldn't locate the ball. It couldn't put it under the hitch.

Glad to know the system works in the real world. I was looking forward to it.

Curious as to why I couldn't make it work. ???

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I got it to work yesterday.

Took 3 tries but it worked. The tech is sorta awe inspiring, when HAL takes over but if it can't do better than that, I'll probably just use the camera.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi folks,

I'm having an issue with getting the Pro Trailer Hitch Assist to work with my weight distribution hitch. I use WeighSafe True Tow Middleweight weight distribution hitch. It is a bit more sticking out in the back of the truck than a normal hitch. I'm guessing this is why the Pro Trailer Hitch Assist is not working. The truck thinks there is an object in the way blocking.

Has anyone worked around this issue when using your Pro Trailer Hitch Assist?

IMG_6368.jpeg
IMG_6367.jpeg

Hi there. This hitch assist concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

NatraLee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Powerboost XLT
Occupation
Water Resources Engineer
I used the Hitch Assist Pro once or twice and it worked pretty well - it went back a little too far but generally was very close and I thought it was cool. Last few times I have tried to use it, I'll start lining up on my trailer and press the button and it gives the three tones "doo doo doo" and the screen blinks but nothing happens. There is a message to check surroundings for safety but nothing is close enough to be a threat. There is no other error message or steps it just doesn't turn on - so not sure what's happening. Is it misbehaving or I'm doing something wrong?

Sponsored

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
I've never gotten it to work properly. It detects the hitch ball.and trailer, starts backing up and looks good, then it goes to the left and fails when close to the trailer. I've got an appointment for Friday at the dealer for this. I expect it to be a waste of time but who knows?

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
Went to my dealer this morning with my concern. Their technicians had never heard of the hitch assist function and neither had their shop foreman or service manager. I showed the tech the videos from Ford showing the function and then we went out and tried it on a flat bed trailer that happened to be across the parking lot from the dealer.

The hitch assist worked flawlessly. The tech was impressed and learned something and I'm left frustrated that it doesn't seem to work with my trailer.

My trailer is a Rockwood 232ESP and has a "double high" frame. I'm wondering if that extra high frame is confusing it. Going to try putting a white cover over part of the frame to see it it helps.

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
Is this the same as dynamic hitch assist. My window sticker says mine has that but have no idea what it is. Lol

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is this the same as dynamic hitch assist. My window sticker says mine has that but have no idea what it is. Lol
That isn't your window sticker's fault.

There are several vids about it.

When it works, its pretty damned amazing.

It is finicky though.

Too much slope, doesn't like it.

Too much sun, too much shade, too much mottled light, a hitch that confuses it. Doesn't like any of them.

There may be a learning curve for it and you.

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
That isn't your window sticker's fault.

There are several vids about it.

When it works, its pretty damned amazing.

It is finicky though.

Too much slope, doesn't like it.

Too much sun, too much shade, too much mottled light, a hitch that confuses it. Doesn't like any of them.

There may be a learning curve for it and you.
So the dynamic and pro are same thing.
How do I even turn this on to try it.
Sponsored