Sponsored

Question about Electric Motor Sound (not the Pedestrian Alert Speaker)

Suma52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew FX4 Sport Powerboost
Hello,

I've searched this and other forums exhaustively for some type of confirmation that my new PB (took delivery 2 days ago) isn't somehow bonked.

When I test drove, like others, I didn't notice many odd sounds that stood out. However, after a day with it I've noticed 2 distinct sounds in electric driving mode. The one that I'm not so concerned about is the Pedestrian Alert Speaker. I know that it does the backup beep and I also know that it does the horrid droning noise that sounds like a lawnmower in the distance when under 18 mph regardless of driving mode. The sound I'm hearing that concerns me is a distinct high-pitched electric motor noise that comes out of the front right wheel well. When I start the truck and I'm parked, if I hit the brake it makes a rotational high-pitched electric motor noise. This noise is VERY noticeable in my truck, even with the windows up. I pulled the truck out of the garage today and I noticed it did it even when the truck was parked without me inside. I also notice the noise a lot of times when I'm driving at slow speeds until I come to a complete stop. It never really makes the noise when I'm holding the brake but not in park.

I think this is very obviously the electric motor charging the battery based off of the spinning nature of the noise and when I hear it. It's just much louder than I expected in my truck and really kind of scary sounding at times as if something might be about to break. I took it to the dealer on the second day and they brought out an unexperienced service manager who called his buddy (who also just bought a PB) and they talked about the sound and came to the agreement that it was normal. I went through a drive-through and the guy handing me my food literally said "nice truck man but you might want to take it back, that doesn't sound good". I've watched every PB video I can find on YouTube to try to see if I can hear the sound when people are driving. I've only heard the noise in 2 of the videos that is exactly the same but it's much quieter in the videos than mine is. It also doesn't help that most of those videos have guys talking nonstop and not leaving any open air time to hear the sounds of the truck. The best I could hear it was in a Gears and Gadgets video when he played a video of him accidentally throwing his truck in park on his house camera.

I guess the main thing I'm hoping to get is an idea of whether my electric motor that's charging the battery is somehow throwing a much louder noise than it should or if this is completely normal and I just need to get accustomed to it and understand that it's part of this technology. Thanks for any help you can provide. I'll try to take a video of it when I get the chance.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You describe the noise that is louder than it is supposed to be, but I don't think it has anything to do with the Hybrid motor or charging the battery. Especially based on where you think it emanates.

Rather I think you might be hearing some other electric driven component. And this truck has quite a few since things have to operate normally even when the engine is off.

Electric Air Conditioning, for example
Electric vacuum
Electric Brake Boost
Electric steering

NoCo150

First Name
KD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Hello,

I've searched this and other forums exhaustively for some type of confirmation that my new PB (took delivery 2 days ago) isn't somehow bonked.

When I test drove, like others, I didn't notice many odd sounds that stood out. However, after a day with it I've noticed 2 distinct sounds in electric driving mode. The one that I'm not so concerned about is the Pedestrian Alert Speaker. I know that it does the backup beep and I also know that it does the horrid droning noise that sounds like a lawnmower in the distance when under 18 mph regardless of driving mode. The sound I'm hearing that concerns me is a distinct high-pitched electric motor noise that comes out of the front right wheel well. When I start the truck and I'm parked, if I hit the brake it makes a rotational high-pitched electric motor noise. This noise is VERY noticeable in my truck, even with the windows up. I pulled the truck out of the garage today and I noticed it did it even when the truck was parked without me inside. I also notice the noise a lot of times when I'm driving at slow speeds until I come to a complete stop. It never really makes the noise when I'm holding the brake but not in park.

I think this is very obviously the electric motor charging the battery based off of the spinning nature of the noise and when I hear it. It's just much louder than I expected in my truck and really kind of scary sounding at times as if something might be about to break. I took it to the dealer on the second day and they brought out an unexperienced service manager who called his buddy (who also just bought a PB) and they talked about the sound and came to the agreement that it was normal. I went through a drive-through and the guy handing me my food literally said "nice truck man but you might want to take it back, that doesn't sound good". I've watched every PB video I can find on YouTube to try to see if I can hear the sound when people are driving. I've only heard the noise in 2 of the videos that is exactly the same but it's much quieter in the videos than mine is. It also doesn't help that most of those videos have guys talking nonstop and not leaving any open air time to hear the sounds of the truck. The best I could hear it was in a Gears and Gadgets video when he played a video of him accidentally throwing his truck in park on his house camera.

I guess the main thing I'm hoping to get is an idea of whether my electric motor that's charging the battery is somehow throwing a much louder noise than it should or if this is completely normal and I just need to get accustomed to it and understand that it's part of this technology. Thanks for any help you can provide. I'll try to take a video of it when I get the chance.

I have never heard anything like that from my PB but I also dont like the Pedestrian alert noise I thought that was a problem with mine at first. Other than the PA noise mine Is quiet.

OP
OP

Suma52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You describe the noise that is louder than it is supposed to be, but I don't think it has anything to do with the Hybrid motor or charging the battery. Especially based on where you think it emanates.

Rather I think you might be hearing some other electric driven component. And this truck has quite a few since things have to operate normally even when the engine is off.

Electric Air Conditioning, for example
Electric vacuum
Electric Brake Boost
Electric steering
What among this do you think would make that kind of very noticeable noise that consistently happens when the brake is held in park?

OP
OP

Suma52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have never heard anything like that from my PB but I also dont like the Pedestrian alert noise I thought that was a problem with mine at first. Other than the PA noise mine Is quiet.
This is good to know, I think you would definitely notice it if you had the same noise.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What among this do you think would make that kind of very noticeable noise that consistently happens when the brake is held in park?
I'm actually saying that NONE of these things are actually silent. They are components that are running even when the engine is OFF. And since the engine is off, the normal engine noise isn't there to mask it.

You probably are experiencing just ONE of the components making more noise than it is supposed to, regardless of what the techs that have so little real world experience concluded. Think about it..... How many Ford technicians actually have even SEEN a Powerboost electric air conditioner compressor? And have been around them enough to know if yours sounds different than the others?
Same for the electric brake boost.

I'm amazed at all the sounds going on when this truck's gas motor isn't running. I have categorized it in 3 different scenarios.

1. Engine off, in Park
2. Engine off in drive but foot on brake so no hybrid motor noise
3. Engine off in drive and moving forward in EV mode

All 3 scenarios put different components in play.

OH, and you could add AC on/off in any or all 3

It's really amazing if you have someone else in the truck, you are outside the truck, and you have the hood open.

But having said all that, I would not describe any of the sounds my truck makes as something that is just wrong. And when inside the cabin and windows up, I certainly don't hear anything "wrong"

If you can't get a definitive answer, you might have to go to the dealership when they have a similar truck to compare to and you make the comparison yourself.

OP
OP

Suma52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I looked at those threads a while ago, if anything it's sort of similar to the second thread, however the things he mentions about it make me think it's different. I found another PowerBoost review video last night on YouTube where the guy intros the video by backing the truck over his camera and you can hear *everything* and I'm pretty sure I heard the exact noise I'm talking about. At this point I think it's normal but I'm gonna go be sneaky this weekend and test drive a PB at another dealership to be rock solid sure about it.

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I have the pedestrian sounder speaker disabled but still notice some noises when in electric mode. Particularly, there is a noise when the brake is pushed even in Park. Let off the brake and it stops. ?‍♂

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the pedestrian sounder speaker disabled but still notice some noises when in electric mode. Particularly, there is a noise when the brake is pushed even in Park. Let off the brake and it stops. ?‍♂
Engine off but brakes engaged requires electric brake booster. It's an Audible device, that's for sure. But necessary technology for this truck.

Open the hood and look on the firewall just in front of the driver. Have someone push the brakes. I'm guessing you will hear the sound coming from the device in the picture below?

Ford F-150 Question about Electric Motor Sound (not the Pedestrian Alert Speaker) Screenshot_20211014-223344_OneDrive

Last edited:

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I have an electric motor whine that is definitely louder than when I bought the truck. I have finally worked through all of the quirks, recalls, and other defects, and the truck itself has never run better. However I am stuck with this loud embarrassing whining sound that I have to drown out so it doesn’t drive me nuts. It’s actually pretty quiet until the truck/tranny get to operating temp.

I opened a case and brought it to the dealership a couple of weeks back, only to be told that it is “characteristic” of the PB. It is the electric motor and they all have that whine. It sat there for a week until they had their best tech look at it, and this is what he came up with. It’s a copout at best. If it is not resolved by Ford, then I will be hard pressed to continue to have faith in their products. In an economy like we have now, I am going to be very careful about who I hand my money to. You sold me the truck but I am not buying the line of BS that comes with it. I do not think that I am being unrealistic or out of line for wanting my truck to sound normal.
Sponsored