Quality Issues. Am I Being Too Picky?

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I didn’t order a vehicle but I bought one off the lot. It had minor scratches around the door handle where it looks like someone carelessly flung the key at the lock to unlock the door. I was honestly a little relieved once I found it, because I worried less about giving the truck it’s first scratch
Sponsored

BADKITTY

First Name
Shen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT
Occupation
designer
It looks like someone did enjoy a little rough ride on your truck before you. The paint on the truck is pretty hard, if you see any visible scratches, it is a big deal. Dealership has to fix it. I have the atlas blue and that paint is hard, harder than all other vehicles I owned before, it can not be easily scratched.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
You're not being picky. My truck was delivered in much the same manner and with a bunch of undercarriage rust and about 95 miles in the ODO. Some dealers just suck.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
You're not being picky. You purchased a new vehicle, not one used in as-is condition. You shouldn't expect to get anything less than a new vehicle. They wouldn't sell you the truck if you showed up with $2,000 less money to buy it, they shouldn't expect you to accept the truck with issues.

Hopefully they can make things right with any issues.

FordestGump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor
Occupation
Trains
I picked up my 2023 AMB Tremor 5.0 this last Saturday, and although I love how it looks, sounds, and feels, I am not too happy with how it was presented to me by the dealership. I'm sorry in advance that I don't have pictures of all the blemishes.

When it was brought out to me, after "Dealer Preparation", it still had:
- mud caked up under the mirrors
- mud spots in random places on the dash
- when lifting the rear bench seat, the plastic middle seat belt trim catches, lifts, and then clicks back into place
- scratches on the DS (behind the rear door and on the bed)
- scratches on the PS (behind the rear door, on the bed, and on the front fender)
- back bumper step cover has a gouge in it on the PS side
- DS tail pipe is misaligned (down and in)

It is going back in to the dealership to have the spray-in bed liner installed tomorrow and they are supposed to be taking care of the "laundry list".

My question is this: Am I being too picky? How far do I take it if I'm not happy with the results after they "fix" them?

I don't think I was a jerk when I picked it up, but I feel that when we purchase a brand new $72,000 truck, it shouldn't have these kind of issues. And I know it's going to get scratches, but I want to be the one to put the first one in it.
No you paid a shit ton of money. Make them fix every bit of it. My Tremor (now with 700 miles) is back in the shop for the 3rd time with rear diff being replaced, transmission whine, and Rough idle. Didn't even mention the wireless charger getting hot, cause at this point it's the least of my concerns. Opened a case with Ford and will be starting the buy back process if they can't get it fixed. I don't have time for this crap.

Sponsored

FordestGump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor
Occupation
Trains
Not too picky! In my experience, usually dealerships wants to make it right. Definitely bring up everything you find. Those are all things they should have caught and fixed before selling to you.

I have noticed my two most recent Fords (bought from two different dealers) have been pretty dirty when I picked them up. My Bronco was sitting outside in a dirt lot at MAP for three months and you could absolutely tell. All the weather stripping between doors and windows were caked in dirt. My Tremor was just pretty dirty underneath with quite a bit of surface rust. Not sure if it's because it's winter time and quite a bit of snow/mud during the shipping or what. There were a couple imperfections in the paint but I personally didn't want the dealer to make them worse trying to fix it.
That's the kind of shit I was worried about buying a Ford over the past couple years.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
So if they can't or won't get your wireless charger to work cooler than it currently does, you aren't going to keep the truck?

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
So if they can't or won't get your wireless charger to work cooler than it currently does, you aren't going to keep the truck?
my charger TEMPS i found are directly related to the phone that is one the pad, and if said phone has its otterbox on or off
wifes a50 stays warm, my s21 fe with otter box on gets pretty warm, if i remove the otterbox it stays much cooler. i thought the otterbox was the culprit for the heat ????

if i lay either phone on a flat charge pad in the house, they stay cooler, but still get warm
if i make the phones naked. they stay stay cool/warm in house

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
My dedicated to the truck phone doesn't even have a Sim in it and is mounted in a pro clip mount in easy view.
My personal use smartphone (ONLY for Bluetooth phone calls) sits in the console slot. And with the recent 2-phone enhancements to Sync, I have no reason to have a phone inconveniently in the media bin.

I do have charge cables for either phone connected to the media bin USB hub and the console storage USB charge port. So versatility is the name of the game in this insane data center on wheels. :)

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
My dedicated to the truck phone doesn't even have a Sim in it and is mounted in a pro clip mount in easy view.
My personal use smartphone (ONLY for Bluetooth phone calls) sits in the console slot. And with the recent 2-phone enhancements to Sync, I have no reason to have a phone inconveniently in the media bin.

I do have charge cables for either phone connected to the media bin USB hub and the console storage USB charge port. So versatility is the name of the game in this insane data center on wheels. :)
does you charge cable plugged into the usb 3 in the bin , make the truck only want to see whats on the phone, vice just charge the phone?
my s21 came absent of wall charger, but did come with a usb 3 cable. so i have been using the wireless pad..
thanks

Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I would have never accepted the truck unless they did what was necessary. I don't have F-U money, so if I'm going to drop Tremor $$, I expect exceptional product/service or I'll take my time and my money elsewhere. I know it is hard to be able to separate your emotions from a purchase, but is the $$ amount worth the emotional frustration? I just can't waste my money, energy and time on bullshit.

That's the reason why I buy what's available on the lot or just keep looking/waiting. This waiting game on truck orders, option deletions, "supply chain" issues, adjust in pricing for whatever reason and day-off delivery bs would eat away at my soul.

Good luck though. Every buyer including you deserves exceptional customer service.

shooters1380

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Law enforcement
I picked up my 2023 AMB Tremor 5.0 this last Saturday, and although I love how it looks, sounds, and feels, I am not too happy with how it was presented to me by the dealership. I'm sorry in advance that I don't have pictures of all the blemishes.

When it was brought out to me, after "Dealer Preparation", it still had:
- mud caked up under the mirrors
- mud spots in random places on the dash
- when lifting the rear bench seat, the plastic middle seat belt trim catches, lifts, and then clicks back into place
- scratches on the DS (behind the rear door and on the bed)
- scratches on the PS (behind the rear door, on the bed, and on the front fender)
- back bumper step cover has a gouge in it on the PS side
- DS tail pipe is misaligned (down and in)

It is going back in to the dealership to have the spray-in bed liner installed tomorrow and they are supposed to be taking care of the "laundry list".

My question is this: Am I being too picky? How far do I take it if I'm not happy with the results after they "fix" them?

I don't think I was a jerk when I picked it up, but I feel that when we purchase a brand new $72,000 truck, it shouldn't have these kind of issues. And I know it's going to get scratches, but I want to be the one to put the first one in it.
I do not know which trim level package you bought but if your truck is similar to mine then I’m guessing you paid between 75-80 grand for your new truck. The question is, do YOU feel your being too picky about bringing the deficient ares of the truck to the dealers attention? I can tell you this; if you do not let them know, and very soon, those repairs or parts replacements will be on your dime. The dealer will do everything they can to not warranty that shit and try to blame it on you after you took delivery. I just went through something similar. The only difference is that they DID in fact correct the problems but when I got the truck back, they did even more damage. My advice is go over that vehicle with a fine tooth comb and when the dealer releases the truck back to you after repairs, you go over it again right there before you leave the parking lot. And don’t do like I did and pick up the truck late in the afternoon when your tired and wanna get home and the suns going down. You’ll tend to overlook things. Now I’m on the hook for fixing some shit that happened during the visit to the dealer that I I hadn’t noticed it right away.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Before I take possession of a new vehicle from a dealer I do a thorough inspection and provide a list of problems for them to fix before I accept the vehicle. This makes the corrections a high priority for the salesperson. Once I drive the vehicle off the lot it becomes my problem and may require multiple trips with having to leave the truck at the dealer multiple times.

I have had pickup trucks for the past 50+ years and not until my last pickup which came with a factory drop-in bedliner did I have anything done to beds of the trucks. My 2022 came with the spray in bed coating which is a rip-off as it provides no real protection and the lining product cost is about $50 per truck.

I put a heavy duty bed mat in the trucks and that reduces how much slides around and it is easier to pull it out and dump and sand or dirt than to vacuum out the bed. I still needed the bed mat with the factory drop-in liner and with my spray on bed coating with my new truck.

A bed liner may provide more protection for the sidewalls of the bed though anyone wanting real protection would be better off making a plywood or OSB insert for the bed.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
my truck was missing the trim piece in front of the rear tire. not the air deflector version, just the simple almost not noticeable black one as I have power running boards.
anyway, it was pretty clear it wasnt put on at the factory as the clips or screw retainers in the wheel well were perfect, not like a screw had been ripped from it.

Anyway, I asked about it pre delivery. got the sure we can schedule a day with service to have that put on... say what, cant ya grab one out of the back.. nope. gotta write it up and drop off the truck.
F that, walked backed to the parts counter, had to order it of course, 2 days and $30 later I just bought it and found some black screws in a can.

I get the principle of it should be made right, and they would have. but to me for 30 bucks I am not leaving the brand new truck all day.

but thats my limit, if it was anything major or worse. the truck would go around back.

Mouse51180

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Hybrid
Occupation
Network Engineer
You most certainly are not being too picky. If they want to give the truck to you at a used price...you probably still arnt being too picky.

I had a few minor scratches on some interior trim when I went to pick up my truck. I brought it to my sales persons attention and they went ahead and sent my truck to a local motorshop and had a spray in bedliner put in for me to compensate for the scratches. When I say the scratches were tiny...they were the types of scratches that you would say "Well im the only person that would ever really know they were there", but I would know.

Good luck and make sure you are more than 100% happy before you take ownership.
Sponsored