First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Tremor 5.0, Edge ST, Subaru WRX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I picked up my 2023 AMB Tremor 5.0 this last Saturday, and although I love how it looks, sounds, and feels, I am not too happy with how it was presented to me by the dealership. I'm sorry in advance that I don't have pictures of all the blemishes.

When it was brought out to me, after "Dealer Preparation", it still had:
- mud caked up under the mirrors
- mud spots in random places on the dash
- when lifting the rear bench seat, the plastic middle seat belt trim catches, lifts, and then clicks back into place
- scratches on the DS (behind the rear door and on the bed)
- scratches on the PS (behind the rear door, on the bed, and on the front fender)
- back bumper step cover has a gouge in it on the PS side
- DS tail pipe is misaligned (down and in)

It is going back in to the dealership to have the spray-in bed liner installed tomorrow and they are supposed to be taking care of the "laundry list".

My question is this: Am I being too picky? How far do I take it if I'm not happy with the results after they "fix" them?

I don't think I was a jerk when I picked it up, but I feel that when we purchase a brand new $72,000 truck, it shouldn't have these kind of issues. And I know it's going to get scratches, but I want to be the one to put the first one in it.
Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
The mud and dirt are on the dealership. It is tough to say about the scratches without seeing pics. However if there are deep scratches that are not surface and cannot be buffed out, then it is not being too tough.

OP
OP
Hotch3

Hotch3

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Tremor 5.0, Edge ST, Subaru WRX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The mud and dirt are on the dealership. It is tough to say about the scratches without seeing pics. However if there are deep scratches that are not surface and cannot be buffed out, then it is not being too tough.
They attempted to wet-sand a few of them while I did the paperwork, but they are still visible.
I'm hoping that they dig deeper into them this week.
I appreciate the feedback.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If you could see how NASTY some of these vehicles can arrive at a dealership, you'd be stunned. And then they have to sign off before they take possession of them and accept them without really getting to see what washes off and what doesn't.

I doubt that you could be more picky than the dealership has ever seen before. 😁
They've likely seen it all and it is part of the business.

If you are going to be picky, be picky NOW, because it's the only time that they are willing to listen. It's a very short honeymoon. I'm just saying.

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
For me it really depends on how bad the scratches are. I’m a lot less picky than most people though, or at least it feels that way reading many threads on here.

If it’s a minor scratch, it isn’t worth breaking the factory paint because then you have a change of introducing even more paint flaws with rework. Mud and dirt, that should’ve been taken care of and is absolutely on the dealer.

To even be able to ask the question “are you being unreasonable” at least shows some sense of self awareness and a realization that they’re also just people, and none of us are perfect. Certainly you’ll handle it in a fair way.

Good luck

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
No, it’s not picky to want those things resolved.

As for how far to take things…

I mean obviously if they don’t get all the mud off they are dropping the ball but I wouldn’t bother with any recourse on that. The truck’s gonna get dirty anyway. That’s more of a “I’m not going to do business with these slobs again” factor than a demand they wash it seven times factor, because at some point I’d just figure they are lousy at washing cars and will *never* do it right.

The scratches are a a different story, but it really depends on their severity and location, because as Dolsen noted, breaking the factory paint to repair it might not be worth it in the long run if they’re minor or somewhere hard to see. Conversely, if they’re really bad or highly visible, I’d want that dealt with. Vehicles do get dinged in transport and dealers should be experienced in dealing with it.

Stuff like the trim, step cover, and the exhaust misalignment are totally fixable without major concerns, I’d want them to deal with it and would press them to deal with it until they do.

DrewMackin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0
Not too picky! In my experience, usually dealerships wants to make it right. Definitely bring up everything you find. Those are all things they should have caught and fixed before selling to you.

I have noticed my two most recent Fords (bought from two different dealers) have been pretty dirty when I picked them up. My Bronco was sitting outside in a dirt lot at MAP for three months and you could absolutely tell. All the weather stripping between doors and windows were caked in dirt. My Tremor was just pretty dirty underneath with quite a bit of surface rust. Not sure if it's because it's winter time and quite a bit of snow/mud during the shipping or what. There were a couple imperfections in the paint but I personally didn't want the dealer to make them worse trying to fix it.

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Not too picky! In my experience, usually dealerships wants to make it right. Definitely bring up everything you find. Those are all things they should have caught and fixed before selling to you.

I have noticed my two most recent Fords (bought from two different dealers) have been pretty dirty when I picked them up. My Bronco was sitting outside in a dirt lot at MAP for three months and you could absolutely tell. All the weather stripping between doors and windows were caked in dirt. My Tremor was just pretty dirty underneath with quite a bit of surface rust. Not sure if it's because it's winter time and quite a bit of snow/mud during the shipping or what. There were a couple imperfections in the paint but I personally didn't want the dealer to make them worse trying to fix it.
A lot of these chip hold vehicles are sitting in dirt and mud lots. There’s a place about 5 miles from my house, a county fairground, that housed hundreds or thousands of escapes and corsairs that is mostly just dirt/mud. At one point it held an equally large number of expeditions and navigators, so they’re pretty indiscriminant with the way they’re storing these vehicles

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
For the 74k I spent on my truck. I went over it in great detail. Even crawled under to check the plastic bits and for rust. I walked into the dealer with a pad of things that needed to be corrected prior to officially taking delivery. They corrected them all prior to me taking it. Even a small scratch on the plastic/glass that covers the digital gauge. Ordered me a new cluster and had it replaced. For the money we are spending these they should be mint from the factory. Granted I purchased my truck in ‘21 when ford was hemorrhaging money, so that may have been a factor.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
hmm its supposed to be CLEAN at delivery. simple and to the point no excuse at all for a dirty delivery EVER.
as for scratches and other stuff, you should make sure they are aware and formulate a plan to repair or let them go.
new is NEW. ford expects some delivery rash and its up to us to accept or not accept

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
That plastic trim for the middle seatbelt on the rear bench that catches when folding up the rear bench bugs me so much! But I also haven’t really dug into it to see if I can fix it

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
I picked up my 2023 AMB Tremor 5.0 this last Saturday, and although I love how it looks, sounds, and feels, I am not too happy with how it was presented to me by the dealership. I'm sorry in advance that I don't have pictures of all the blemishes.

When it was brought out to me, after "Dealer Preparation", it still had:
- mud caked up under the mirrors
- mud spots in random places on the dash
- when lifting the rear bench seat, the plastic middle seat belt trim catches, lifts, and then clicks back into place
- scratches on the DS (behind the rear door and on the bed)
- scratches on the PS (behind the rear door, on the bed, and on the front fender)
- back bumper step cover has a gouge in it on the PS side
- DS tail pipe is misaligned (down and in)

It is going back in to the dealership to have the spray-in bed liner installed tomorrow and they are supposed to be taking care of the "laundry list".

My question is this: Am I being too picky? How far do I take it if I'm not happy with the results after they "fix" them?

I don't think I was a jerk when I picked it up, but I feel that when we purchase a brand new $72,000 truck, it shouldn't have these kind of issues. And I know it's going to get scratches, but I want to be the one to put the first one in it.
I say give the dealer a chance to make it right, in my opinion they should have cleaned that well before you got it, however that doesn't address the scratches. As long as they are minor surface scratches, the dealer should easily be able to take care of those.

The belt issue, could just be quality control and was no fault of the dealer, but with all the other issues, it's easy to lump it in.

If you aren't happy after they "fix" everything, let it be known and reuse the vehicle if it bothers you enough. To me although annoying, with how hard it is to get these trucks, I think I could live with the mud, since it can be cleaned, and as long as the scratches came out, I personally would be happy. The seat belt thing can probably be addressed.

Depending on how bad the tailpipe is I may put up a stink, worst case if it's bent or something they should be able to either fix it or order you a new one under warranty.
Sponsored