PSI in load range E tires?

BigBird06

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
What psi are you running in your load range E tires for everyday highway driving? Mine are rated for a maximum of 80 psi and I’m running 55 but it’s still really rough?

thanks
Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
What psi are you running in your load range E tires for everyday highway driving? Mine are rated for a maximum of 80 psi and I’m running 55 but it’s still really rough?

thanks
I run mine at 38-40 ish, mine still felt a bit rough at 45 but I have bilstein shocks which are a bit more firm than stock. I think you’ll be good at 40-45 range.

OP
OP
BigBird06

BigBird06

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I run mine at 38-40 ish, mine still felt a bit rough at 45 but I have bilstein shocks which are a bit more firm than stock. I think you’ll be good at 40-45 range.
I appreciate it man I’m going to try 45 and see what that does and go to 40 if 45 isn’t any better

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I run these on my 98 K1500
Anything in the 40s seems too squishy to me.
50 works out well for a firm but good ride.
Anything over 50 in this unladen pickup is like riding in an old lumber truck and not pleasant at all.

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
I have same question.
I have tires on backorder at Discount Tire, BFG KO2 285/60R20 E rated.
Some info I'm still gathering:
I asked BFG online in chat and Ford Dealer service manager. and they both said to run them at 35. So I'm guessing its ok to try them out as low as 35. I will review with DT at install time and test it out, they usually know what works best. Maybe call them or whoever did install or Off road warehouse, or 4 wheel parts etc. Like to hear others input here.
Dang reading all those other threads gets confusing. Sounds like 40-45 may be best unloaded. Seems you have to come up with what's best for your setup, load and use. Cant wait to test it out...
Copied some links from threads good starting point:
https://www.4wheelparts.com/a/tire-wheel-package-guide-tire-pressure-checker

Interesting numbers here. If I use the calculator for mine I get 45psi result.
https://tirepressure.com/ford-f-150-tire-pressure#byTrim

Decent chalk test demo:

One other good idea I read was compare to Tremor and Raptor pressure settings.

Last edited:

jgb22222

First Name
ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2021
Occupation
stuff
I run my toyos at 3s at 44 on all 4. I emailed toyo support w q pic of the load/psi on the stock hankooks and they recommended 48

JHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion 2012 & 2010
My question is loosely related to this thread. Take it easy on my I did not want to start a new thread just for this question. What are the pros/cons of a E load rated KO2 (285 75 17) vs a D load rated KO2 (34 10.5 17)? Size diff is minimal. I am looking for good on road manners with some mild offroading when hunting. My assumption is the D would have a softer ride given the 65 lb pressure vs 80. Or just run E at a lower pressure. Thanks

Captain

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0
My question is loosely related to this thread. Take it easy on my I did not want to start a new thread just for this question. What are the pros/cons of a E load rated KO2 (285 75 17) vs a D load rated KO2 (34 10.5 17)? Size diff is minimal. I am looking for good on road manners with some mild offroading when hunting. My assumption is the D would have a softer ride given the 65 lb pressure vs 80. Or just run E at a lower pressure. Thanks
You don’t really ever run LT tires at max pressure. Or even half that in some cases. The higher the load rating the stiffer then tire to allow for higher pressures and heavier loads. In reality you might run a higher load range tire at a lower pressure than a lower load range. This is simplifying it but basically the stiffer the tire, the less air you need to support a load.

On my Tacoma, a fairly light truck, I ran my SL tires at 38 psi and when I swapped to E rated tires dropped to 30 psi. The ride change was minimal.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I had LT E rated Continentals on my 2015, I kept them at the normal stock pressure around 35psi I think, even at that they were significantly rougher than I would have preferred. I only ended up with the E rated tires because I wanted a specific tire (Rebate on them at the time) and the regular SL were on a long back order but E rated were readily available. Tread wear was great, but rid quality definitely sucked.

Like others have said, definitely don’t feel like you need to go anywhere near max pressure on them, especially if not carrying a significant load.

LenisHvin

First Name
Lenis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Occupation
driver
I am one of those car owners who do not want to buy two sets of tires - winter and summer. I prefer to buy all season tires. For a long time choosing on the Internet, I found a list of all season tires that can improve traction on the snow and have increased cross-country ability.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
I had issues with my C rated Falken ATW3s, so I switched to KO2s which were only available in E rated in my size. There are so many opinions about tire pressure but DT set them at the placard recommended 35 PSI.

Ford F-150 PSI in load range E tires? IMG_2004

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I had issues with my C rated Falken ATW3s, so I switched to KO2s which were only available in E rated in my size. There are so many opinions about tire pressure but DT set them at the placard recommended 35 PSI.

IMG_2004.png
I've been to DT (Discount Tire) now twice for a rotation after install and they were not consistent with the psi. At install, they did 45 and said that's how they set all LT tires by default, but at the first rotation they only did 35 and I ended up putting them back to 45 a couple days later. Last week for the second rotation, I asked them to put them at 45 and they did. They will do whichever you ask and they may not be consistent person to person. ymmv.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
Owners manual says door placard (35 PSI) no matter what, DT paperwork says 41, and BFG chat says 50. So I just average them? 😬

Ford F-150 PSI in load range E tires? IMG_2008
Ford F-150 PSI in load range E tires? IMG_2007
Sponsored