First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I would highly recommend removing the front three skid plates before changing the oil on these trucks. The front one needs to come off to access the oil filter. The next two to avoid getting oil everywhere. The plates do have access holes but I'm not convinced any oil came down through those access holes.

Ford F-150 PSA for Oil Changes for RCI Skid Plate Owners PXL_20211101_203545355
Ford F-150 PSA for Oil Changes for RCI Skid Plate Owners PXL_20211101_203828859
Ford F-150 PSA for Oil Changes for RCI Skid Plate Owners PXL_20211101_213644035
Sponsored

braaap

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 tundra and 2021 F150 XLT 6.5’ bed
Thanks for the update info. Did you get the fumoto drain valve like they recommend?

How do you like the skids besides the oil mess? Quality product? I’m about to order some.

OP
OP

Lateonthebrakes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I did not see where they recommended the valve. But I bought the engine skid plate locally and bought the transmission plate, and transfer case plates off their website. I see the valve linked at the bottom of the page on the full skid plate package though. I will have to give that a try for the next oil change. I had the fumoto fo valve installed on my Jeep Rubicon that had skid plates. Made oil change is way easier.

braaap

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did not see where they recommended the valve. But I bought the engine skid plate locally and bought the transmission plate, and transfer case plates off their website. I see the valve linked at the bottom of the page on the full skid plate package though. I will have to give that a try for the next oil change. I had the fumoto fo valve installed on my Jeep Rubicon that had skid plates. Made oil change is way easier.
You like the skid plates in general? Did you go with steel or aluminum?

OP
OP

Lateonthebrakes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I did the powder coat aluminum and I'm pretty happy with them. Fit and finish is really good.

Sponsored

AccentedWanderer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 5.5. 2018 Audi Q5
Have you installed the fumoto drain valve after this incident? If so, does it seem like that the next oil change will be more 'mess-free'?

I have the same skid plates but not yet installed. I am getting close to an oil change hence I am curious. Might have the technician install the drain valve for me during next visit and do the skid plates myself.

OP
OP

Lateonthebrakes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I have not. I did not make it to a second oil change before I got rid of the truck. To make a long story short I was not happy with the truck so I traded it in. I do have those RCI skid plates, Bakflip MX4 bed cover, and weathertech liners I will be putting in the classified section though.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/quality-control.5642/

braaap

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles