First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150, '65, '70 and '09 Mustangs
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
I have an XLT with all the tech packages. When my truck is parked in my garage and I walk past it makes a kind of click/clunk noise like it is locking or unlocking the doors. This occurs when I don't even have the key in my pocket. Also, it seems very random as to when it "greets me" by turning on the exterior lights. Sometimes when I walk up to it all the exterior lights go on and sometimes nothing goes on. This is always when in the garage and unlocked. I have read everything in the manual about proximity alerts, etc. and find nothing that explains either of these behaviors.
Sponsored

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
Do you have the key in your pocket when walking by?

OP
OP
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150, '65, '70 and '09 Mustangs
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
Do you have the key in your pocket when walking by?
Same here. No key in my pocket although the key is only about 15 feet away in the kitchen. Maybe it is still sensing it.

Sponsored

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Without the key mine doesn't react if I walk near it. But it will "wake up" if I touch the door handles even without the key. When I get near it with the key it wakes up and makes some noises but I haven't felt they were abnormal.

One new noise did surprise me the other day. I was awake much earlier than normal (6:30 on Saturday) and I went out to put some stuff in the truck. As soon as opened the back door (without a key) it made a super loud clunk which sounded like a big circuit breaker. My truck is a Powerboost and my guess is that the sound was the high voltage battery being reconnected. My previous hybrid has a similar disconnect sound for the battery but wasn't quite as loud. And maybe it wasn't expecting me so it had disconnected overnight and not reconnected automatically yet? Not sure if that was the case.

These are pretty advanced trucks. They're pretty much always doing something so noises like that when walking up to the truck don't surprise me. It's just getting ready for you to start driving.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I have never had it without the key. But, with the key, it does some clicking. But, what is that doing. Not unlocking the door or anything.
Sponsored