ProPower Ground Fault

DrDavidG

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Plat
I'm a bit embarrassed I just did the same thing. I didn't realize it was testing the system to make sure it faulted, lol
That actually makes some sense. The Faults seem to correspond to when I start the Truck, does that seem correct?
Sponsored

mmckaig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 limited
Steve, I put my truck up on ramps a week ago to take care of my differential rust, and to me the prime suspect would be the connector cluster that is directly beneath the electrical panel in the bed. I didn't think to take a picture but there's a big ugly cluster of exposed connectors that are open to the elements. AND...open to picking up spray from the driver's side rear tire.

It's almost too obvious that this is the *likely* root cause of your problem.

If I were in your shoes I would do the following:

• open all of those connectors, apply contact cleaner, and re-connect.
  • wrap something around the connector cluster, even if it's saran wrap. Find a way to waterproof the connector cluster.
  • put mudflaps/splash guards on your rear wheels. Also wheel well liners would work.
Or do nothing since it's working for you.

When I get under there again I'll take a picture and you'll see what I mean.

hope this helps....

AS NOTED ABOVE.... I have been having issues with my propower tripping the GCFI as well. I get ZERO power and reset would not fix.

So I cleaned all the connectors in the rear that were CAKED with mud. there is a smaller connector there that supposedly senses the lines... My truck for about 2 weeks has been without propower and I double checked this morning. THEN I washed the connectors in the read of all the mud, and unplugged the smalled of them with the 4 positions. Dirty water came out of the connector so I blew it out and re-plugged. NOW POWER WORKS. If you unplug that connector and restart the truck pro power stops. So something in there I think is causing issues..

Dielectric grease and or some shrink tubing may help?? something to monitor

Ford F-150 ProPower Ground Fault IMG_2497

Longdeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Platinum 701A PB
Occupation
Retired Drives & Controls Automation Electrical Engineer
These problems are right in my wheelhouse of expertise...no kidding.

If I ever get off the non-schedule from my February 1, 2022 Platinum PB order that was converted to a 2023 Platinum PB, and after two wrong builds (Ford IT errors), I’d be more than happy to detect root cause of failure. I’d even write a ”white paper” to Ford on how to redesign if necessary. First, I need my truck, then second thing I would need the vehicle electrical schematics with wiring routing.

Oddly enough, these problems comes down to common sense solutions that are overlooked by design team and doesn’t come to light until real use applications. It’s hard to think of everything that could go wrong in design and implementation. So far I think Ford has done a superior job with electrically design of Power Boost with Generator but like most things in life, there’s room for improvement.

Doughecka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 302a PowerBoost SuperCrew
These problems are right in my wheelhouse of expertise...no kidding.

If I ever get off the non-schedule from my February 1, 2022 Platinum PB order that was converted to a 2023 Platinum PB, and after two wrong builds (Ford IT errors), I’d be more than happy to detect root cause of failure. I’d even write a ”white paper” to Ford on how to redesign if necessary. First, I need my truck, then second thing I would need the vehicle electrical schematics with wiring routing.

Oddly enough, these problems comes down to common sense solutions that are overlooked by design team and doesn’t come to light until real use applications. It’s hard to think of everything that could go wrong in design and implementation. So far I think Ford has done a superior job with electrically design of Power Boost with Generator but like most things in life, there’s room for improvement.
I'd like to see schematics as well. I get the feeling that they treated this like they would 12V, which is a bit more lenient when it comes to water ingress, plus it doesn't have GCFI to interfere. If I was installing 110/220VAC into a vehicle where it might be exposed to the elements, it'd be run inside of flex conduit with water tight connections to sealed junction boxes.

My DECK has better water ingress protection than this. 🤣 Of course it's just following the electrical code... I'm guessing vehicles don't have to meet the same rules as houses?
¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

flyboy52219

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I had this issue occur this week... Drove through rain a few days ago and it continually popped up, never successfully resetting, and it occured again today driving through slush (probably salty slush), although it cleared after a few miles.

I've driven through rain before without issue.

I wonder if it has something to do with the salt they use to treat the roads for ice... That would increase conductivity.
I think you're on to something here. Ever since we had a storm and below freezing and salt applied my truck was throwing the Ground Fault at or shortly after startup. Sometimes it would reset sometimes it wouldn't. Would always come back during driving. Now that temps went above freezing and they haven't salted the roads, I gave the truck a good under wash and no issues for last few days. I will cancel my Dealer appointment as they won't be able to duplicate I'm sure. Will see if this comes back after the next snow when they salt the roads again.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I cut a length of pool noodle type pipe insulation and wrapped that main ProPower connector just behind the rear wheel well. Although it looked like a pretty good sealed connector, man is it in a hostile environment!

I disconnected it, applied some dielectric grease, and then encapsulated the whole thing in the insulation.

Fortunately it's really easy to access and address. :)

hisa1111

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 502B AntiMatter Blue
Mine has not worked since the day I got the truck (bone dry no rain) and been in the shop twice and now they have the entire under rear seat unit on order (back ordered of course) so about 3 months in and still have ground fault error every time I get in the truck. F150 502B 2022 Lariat
Sponsored