First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PB
Occupation
IT Consultant
I've had my PB for about 2 weeks, and a ground fault error started to show up on the main screen. It seems that rain is a trigger for the error so I am guessing it is a loose connection somewhere. I believe I read that others have seen this error after their aftermarket spray in bed-liner was applied. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Sponsored

cavudaz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I've had my PB for about 2 weeks, and a ground fault error started to show up on the main screen. It seems that rain is a trigger for the error so I am guessing it is a loose connection somewhere. I believe I read that others have seen this error after their aftermarket spray in bed-liner was applied. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
I started getting this error 3 days after I got the truck, then every time I start the truck. I just took it in today for it to be fixed. Will post what they tell me the issue is.

OP
OP

dh4234

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PB
Occupation
IT Consultant
My dealer told me it was a software issue, and that an update will be pushed out soon.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
My dealer told me it was a software issue, and that an update will be pushed out soon.
Did they call Ford Engineering? I checked Ford OASIS today and didn't see any SSM documents notating this update was pending. I'll keep a lookout for this, though my truck is not having this issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dh4234

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PB
Occupation
IT Consultant
Any updates on this?
I haven’t had the error in months. It used to always be triggered by rain, and with all of the rain no issue. So it must have been a software issue.

Wheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5L
So, I was getting the same errors every single time I started the truck (Which wasn't many times, as I've only owned it for 2 days and 60 miles - Yes, you read this correctly).

Took it in today, they called me back to say I "needed to activate the update schedule via the FordPass App so it could get the OTA updates". I informed them that I did so in the truck, and the app is showing that I "don't have a recurring schedule set". No answers. Basically just "come get the truck I guess".

Not super happy about this. I've gotta go another 3 rounds with this issue before I lemon law the thing, I think I'll be going back once a week until we hit that magic number.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
So, I was getting the same errors every single time I started the truck (Which wasn't many times, as I've only owned it for 2 days and 60 miles - Yes, you read this correctly).

Took it in today, they called me back to say I "needed to activate the update schedule via the FordPass App so it could get the OTA updates". I informed them that I did so in the truck, and the app is showing that I "don't have a recurring schedule set". No answers. Basically just "come get the truck I guess".

Not super happy about this. I've gotta go another 3 rounds with this issue before I lemon law the thing, I think I'll be going back once a week until we hit that magic number.
Got mine 11/2/21
Error noted first few days of driving. Over past 3 mos i carefully figured out moisture triggers the groundfault and propower shuts off and cannot be reset . Reset happens in time .. many hours of drying out . Iften days if persistent moisture kicked up on roads .
My dealer reproduced the error by washing truck but has dug in with wait till April software OTA. They wont do anything se. I suggested changing each of the 3 breaker reset points . The bedmounted ones look well covered but ya never know how water gets in . Ive been to dealer 4 times already . They say they cant do anything else until the software update . I am very skeptical about software fixing this issue . I challenge any engineer or anyone to explain how software gets wet.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I am very skeptical about software fixing this issue . I challenge any engineer or anyone to explain how software gets wet.
Here's my take on this as a long-past-my-prime EE.

Everyone saying "software does not get wet" is correct; the root cause is likely one or more connection points getting wet which causes leakage current between hot and ground which makes the PPO system/software think that there is a ground fault, so just like a GFI breaker it will shut it down to prevent accidental electrocution of someone standing barefoot in a puddle of water operating a 1963 Craftsman metal-frame circular saw.

So to correct the root cause would require Ford to figure out which wiring harness is not 100% environment-proof and susceptible to leaks, and then issue a recall to correct hundreds of thousands (more?) of units' wiring harnesses to correct the issue properly.

Or...they can tell the PPO software to ignore a certain amount of leakage current, or perhaps modify the threshold to a higher level yet still within code.

It's the appropriate first step to take, because it costs very little to implement a change like that which can possibly fix 80% of the units by implementing the simplest solution. 20% of the units will have excessive leakage that cannot be fixed like this, and will have to undergo a repair process that I doubt the average Ford tech will be able to successfully diagnose and correct.

JMHO

Sponsored

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Everyone saying "software does not get wet" is correct; the root cause is likely one or more connection points getting wet which causes leakage current between hot and ground which makes the PPO system/software think that there is a ground fault, so just like a GFI breaker it will shut it down to prevent accidental electrocution of someone standing barefoot in a puddle of water operating a 1963 Craftsman metal-frame circular saw.

So to correct the root cause would require Ford to figure out which wiring harness is not 100% environment-proof and susceptible to leaks, and then issue a recall to correct hundreds of thousands (more?) of units' wiring harnesses to correct the issue properly.

Or...they can tell the PPO software to ignore a certain amount of leakage current, or perhaps modify the threshold to a higher level yet still within code.

It's the appropriate first step to take, because it costs very little to implement a change like that which can possibly fix 80% of the units by implementing the simplest solution. 20% of the units will have excessive leakage that cannot be fixed like this, and will have to undergo a repair process that I doubt the average Ford tech will be able to successfully diagnose and correct.

JMHO
Well said. I have plenty of electrical background but not enough time to dig in to fix my very pricey truck in a freezing garage which is why i thought my dealer would help. The ford techs dont want to waste time on these things amd they want to bang out many more simple things . Im certain if i wait for OTA updates in april my water fault issue will persist . At that point ill have to see what they advise . In the meantime my truck is for sale

OP
OP

dh4234

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PB
Occupation
IT Consultant
Mine still does it when it rains. I might have to start pushing ford to fix it, or buy it back.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

JMHO
Im working on shrink wrapping the connections in engine compartment that have been implicated and designing a rain shield for the breaker box in the bed as a test .

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
Im working on shrink wrapping the connections in engine compartment that have been implicated and designing a rain shield for the breaker box in the bed as a test .
Again, I'm speaking from a position of ignorance here because I still have at least six weeks to wait on my truck coming in, but my thought would be that the issue is on the downstream end of things...from the inverter back to the bed. (Why would 120V be routed to the engine bay?) This is where the greatest likelihood of water intrusion will be, creating the leakage fault. (if that ends up being the root cause) I ordered the 7.2Kw and if I have this issue, I will start with the PPO panel in the bed and work my way backwards from there until I find connectors that I find suspect. We might even find that some of the plastic used (soy-based?) is the culprit, so I would look to isolate/protect anything that could get wet backwards from the panel.

Techs that have the skills to work on a ground fault issue like this are making bigger bucks in the medical electronics industry, and are not dumping oil at the local dealer. I think it's within the collective skills of this group to figure it out.
Sponsored