Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.innov8.ag
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat Crew Cab
Hey Powerboost 7.2Kw owners - what are you charging with your Powerboost? Recently purchased our vehicle and planning to power a ‘mobile ag datacenter’ with two computer servers, a TV monitor, 2 laptops, and a 1350w mini-split A/C unit to keep everything cool. If there’s room we’ll power a small fridge.

We’re planning to use the generator while towing and parked.

Eager to hear how others are maximizing the system, and any challenges/learnings along the way.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Hey Powerboost 7.2Kw owners - what are you charging with your Powerboost? Recently purchased our vehicle and planning to power a ‘mobile ag datacenter’ with two computer servers, a TV monitor, 2 laptops, and a 1350w mini-split A/C unit to keep everything cool. If there’s room we’ll power a small fridge.

Eager to hear how others are maximizing the system, and any challenges/learnings along the way.
That's really cool!! I hope that your chassis will have a lot of shock absorption as the truck bed can be a rough ride! All solid state disks and plastic monitor. Also the A/C may not like tilting or motion (weird gyro forces on the fan) but I'm sure there are mobile ready units that handle it.

One last thing, I'd recommend a UPS in series between the Propower and servers. There may be easy ways to forget and accidentally turn the truck off (and Propower) and servers won't like that without friendly shutdown. The UPS would give a little assurance during the learning curve of this generator!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Also post pics when you get it done! Will be a very unique setup.

petervenkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat Powerboost
That's really cool!! I hope that your chassis will have a lot of shock absorption as the truck bed can be a rough ride! All solid state disks and plastic monitor. Also the A/C may not like tilting or motion (weird gyro forces on the fan) but I'm sure there are mobile ready units that handle it.

One last thing, I'd recommend a UPS in series between the Propower and servers. There may be easy ways to forget and accidentally turn the truck off (and Propower) and servers won't like that without friendly shutdown. The UPS would give a little assurance during the learning curve of this generator!
fwiw, many UPS aren’t designed to run off a generator. i have a whole house generator and my UPS fried. the varying cleanliness of the power coming in freaks the UPS out. company replaced it with one meant to run of a generator.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
fwiw, many UPS aren’t designed to run off a generator. i have a whole house generator and my UPS fried. the varying cleanliness of the power coming in freaks the UPS out. company replaced it with one meant to run of a generator.
Interesting! I haven't seen anyone scope it yet, but I remember some propower documentation saying "true sine wave" as opposed to the crappy 400W inverter that is a very modified sine. Didn't know UPS's were so picky!

Sponsored

petervenkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat Powerboost
Interesting! I haven't seen anyone scope it yet, but I remember some propower documentation saying "true sine wave" as opposed to the crappy 400W inverter that is a very modified sine. Didn't know UPS's were so picky!
well then maybe it would be ok if its putting out sine wave like the ups does. my whole house generator runs off natural gas and the engineer said that generators can put out “dirty” power which causes the ups to trigger back and forth off battery repeatedly. the thing was smoking in my rack with my server, network, and home theater equipment. the company was great and upgraded me to a $1k ups at no additional cost.

side note, i was recently reading your pb posts about maximizing driving on the battery. i just placed an order for my truck and trying to soak everything in while i wait. appreciate the tips.

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2

Being in the IT field, I would not power anything computer related, especially servers, with anything but a pure sine wave and extremely stable generator. Not saying it wouldn't work, but it's asking for trouble IMO. Not sure what the powerboost specs are, but I'd look it up before hooking up computers to it.

Luigi

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Higher end UPS will clean that. I use Cyber Power sinewave converter UPS systems. These disconnect the power from the input power to the server power so everything goes through the UPS first cleaned up and outputted.

Its designed to be on any form of generation. Used market for those is pretty good too!

pushrods

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT PB Sport
Occupation
Retired IBM field engineer

Longhorngary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F150 302A soon to be 2021 F150 KR PB

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Hey @AussieSteveGuy ,

How is your project going?

I am wanting to power our travel trailer while towing and am hoping to learn from your experience!

Are you able to power your IT center from the truck while towing?

If so, how have you connected the 110V AC between the truck and trailer?

Have you accounted for a (highly unlikely) trailer break away with some sort of a disconnect between the truck and trailer?

Any help/info you can give is appreciated.

Thanks!
-Eric

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow, that VoltSafe is almost perfect. Unfortunately, it is only rated to 7 Amps and I'm wanting to use the 30 Amp outlet to my trailer.

Thanks for sharing the link!

-Eric

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Wow, that VoltSafe is almost perfect. Unfortunately, it is only rated to 7 Amps and I'm wanting to use the 30 Amp outlet to my trailer.

Thanks for sharing the link!

-Eric
The heater is rated at 7amps, but the cord looks much beefier. Maybe I'll order one to measure the gauge of the wires.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The heater is rated at 7amps, but the cord looks much beefier. Maybe I'll order one to measure the gauge of the wires.
From the VoltSafe website:
VoltSafe Winter is specifically designed and tested for use with Engine Block Heaters – it is not recommended to be used with any other electrical devices."

My take on this is the VoltSafe doesn't include an engine block heater.
Sponsored