Sponsored

Propower 2kw + 3.5L Ecoboost (nonhybrid)

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
Just picked up my long awaited F150 (Ordered Jan 3rd, finally received last friday). Tested out propower using a leaf blower and it works (running at 900watts). I am goign to be picking up my RV soon, and i wanted to power my RV with Pro Power (i already ordered the micro-air easy start to keep the initial startup wattage down to 1800watts).

Question: Is it okay to leave my truck idling for hours (running generator mode) to keep the RV powered up? I know most cars it is bad to idle the engine for extended period of time (ie. carbon buildup and/or overheating catalytic convertor), but i figured Ford probably decided the truck for extended idling for the pro power.
Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I have a Powerboost, and under generator mode when the engine is running, it's running at a much lower output than it would if it was straight up idling.

The "other" F150 forums some users have reported that running it overnight will work fine, but is also expensive in terms of gas consumption...more expensive than a dedicated generator would be. So keep that in mind.

Good call on the easy-start...I haven't ready about anyone installing one of those and seeing if that keeps the initial load from tripping the breaker. Please report your experience back to us!

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
What kind of RV do you have ? 2kw probably won't run the AC.

Propower should run off battery until the truck needs to charge it.

But not fully sure how Propower works in non-Powerboosts

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
Question: Is it okay to leave my truck idling for hours (running generator mode) to keep the RV powered up? I know most cars it is bad to idle the engine for extended period of time (ie. carbon buildup and/or overheating catalytic convertor), but i figured Ford probably decided the truck for extended idling for the pro power.
Everything will be fine. Think of squad cars that idle 24 hours a day and manage to survive.
Be sure to factor in engine idle hours when your scheduling or doing your oil changes, it’s easy to forget if your used to going off what the sticker recommends.

What kind of RV do you have ? 2kw probably won't run the AC.

Propower should run off battery until the truck needs to charge it.

But not fully sure how Propower works in non-Powerboosts
If the soft starter keeps the startup below 1800w like he says, it should be fine.

The 2kw propower system has a 2nd alternator dedicated to it and a large inverter under the back seat. No additional batteries.

OP
OP

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a Powerboost, and under generator mode when the engine is running, it's running at a much lower output than it would if it was straight up idling.

The "other" F150 forums some users have reported that running it overnight will work fine, but is also expensive in terms of gas consumption...more expensive than a dedicated generator would be. So keep that in mind.

Good call on the easy-start...I haven't ready about anyone installing one of those and seeing if that keeps the initial load from tripping the breaker. Please report your experience back to us!
I probably would only do it when we stop for eating or just boon docking once in a blue moon. Most of the time will be RVing at fully serviced sites, but who knows, would love to sleep overnight at a walmart lol!..

Cost isnt really a big deal since its once in a while, but wanted to know if its okay to run it over night like that (ie. 8hours straight). Note, this is a 2 year lease, so not really worried aobut long term.

Sponsored

WFordKid

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Accounting
2kw system 2021 3.5 Ecoboost non-hybrid. If you say... plug in your refrigerator and when the frig cuts off and little or no power is being drawn from the truck - will the engine shut off?

OP
OP

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All,

I tested my F150 3.5 Ecoboost + 2kw and plugged in a generator bonding plug. Immediately it triggers a ground fault, so that is a no go!!

Regardless, i couldnt remember why i was trying to use a bonding plug. I think this was because we were trying to use an EMS surge protector which would show open ground. But does that even matter? I dont see why we need to use a surgeprotector/EMS since the 2Kw invertor on teh f150 is clean power.

I have yet to install the microair but i am HOPING it will work!!!

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I also have the 2kW ProPower, and gave it a try on my RV, it could not start the AC without a soft starter (I still need to get one).

You would be totally fine running overnight, or even for a couple of days. The truck will only start and run when they battery needs to be recharged, it does not run constantly. So in reality it is less expensive than running a portable generator, because the generator has to run 24/7 to produce power. The inverter systems on the F150's uses batter power, inverted up to 120v AC, so the RV drains the battery, once the battery level reaches 50% or whatever Ford has it set at, the engine will start and recharge it, once it is recharged the engine will shutoff until battery level is at the 'recharge' level again. So in 8 hrs the engine will only run for maybe 2-3hrs if you are heavily using the power.

OP
OP

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also have the 2kW ProPower, and gave it a try on my RV, it could not start the AC without a soft starter (I still need to get one).

You would be totally fine running overnight, or even for a couple of days. The truck will only start and run when they battery needs to be recharged, it does not run constantly. So in reality it is less expensive than running a portable generator, because the generator has to run 24/7 to produce power. The inverter systems on the F150's uses batter power, inverted up to 120v AC, so the RV drains the battery, once the battery level reaches 50% or whatever Ford has it set at, the engine will start and recharge it, once it is recharged the engine will shutoff until battery level is at the 'recharge' level again. So in 8 hrs the engine will only run for maybe 2-3hrs if you are heavily using the power.
Are you sure about that? I thought you had to keep the engine running all the time. This is on a NON-Hybrid 2kw system.

Re: RV, does it matter if it is an open ground? Our 2KW is a floating neutral. I am praying that i can run the AC with the easy start sitting (yet to be installed)!

WFordKid

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Accounting
Has anyone tested the non-hybrid 3.5 with 2kw to see if in fact the engine cuts off when not needed or the power in the battery is sufficient. I think out batteries are under the driver's side back seat. Also, hadn't checked to see if the truck came with 2 alternators. Has anyone else?

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
The non-hybrid must be running to get power to the outlets.

OP
OP

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The non-hybrid must be running to get power to the outlets.
Thats what i thoought.

There is 2 alternators, and there is also 2 batteries located in teh passenger side rear (long invertor is on the left side rear).

I havent read the manual yet, but there is osmething called generator mode. Not clear what htis does.

ptricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
there is osmething called generator mode. Not clear what htis does.
The truck will turn itself off when idling for 30 minutes (or maybe 15?). Generator mode will override the timeout and allow the truck to idle "forever".

redactedAlias

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 powerboost platinum, 18 road king special
I probably would only do it when we stop for eating or just boon docking once in a blue moon. Most of the time will be RVing at fully serviced sites, but who knows, would love to sleep overnight at a walmart lol!..

Cost isnt really a big deal since its once in a while, but wanted to know if its okay to run it over night like that (ie. 8hours straight). Note, this is a 2 year lease, so not really worried aobut long term.
For what it's worth, I've idled and slept in Chevys and ford's overnight in more than one occasion when traveling alone. Never had an issue. As was said, police units, utility and construction supervisor vehicles, security vehicles, Uber and taxi cabs etc all idle all day long.