Sponsored

Projected lifespan of the Powerboost lithium battery?

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota Matrix
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know the projected lifespan of the lithium battery? I can't seem to find it or its replacement cost anywhere. I know Ford is warranting the battery for 8 years or 100K.
Sponsored

Valrune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 crown vic
Does anyone know the projected lifespan of the lithium battery? I can't seem to find it or its replacement cost anywhere. I know Ford is warranting the battery for 8 years or 100K.
I was wondering the same thing. When the vehicle is out of warranty we might see a lot of them on the used car lots.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
See it's all a matter of perspective. I'm hopeful that by the time the batteries start degrading that upgrades will be available, like perhaps a 2.5kwh pack, that will allow more electric drive...

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
See it's all a matter of perspective. I'm hopeful that by the time the batteries start degrading that upgrades will be available, like perhaps a 2.5kwh pack, that will allow more electric drive...
Based off what I’ve seen, I don’t know if a battery upgrade would be viable. It seems like it would be pretty invasive to drop the old/used pack out of the truck and put a new one in. Not to mention the price. I’ve read reviews and stories on trying to replace the battery cells on hybrid and electric cars stating it’s so expensive it’s almost easier to replace the vehicle.

It would be awesome if Moore’s Law kicks in and the prices for the batteries get cheap enough. If so, upgrading the battery packs on hybrid and electric cars could be the new version of tuning an internal combustion engine!

OP
OP

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota Matrix
Occupation
Retired
If we go with the Ford's listed 100K/8years, I'm thinking that's at least two refreshes. None of the parts are going to fit. Ford is pushing the 2021 as 97% new. So, probably the 2030 F150 is going to be different tech, likely all EV. I think diesels are dead, Natgas never stood a chance, and EV is going to be the future as much as I don't trust it. New guy in the WH certainly is going to make gas engines and anyone who drives them feel the pain. I'm just wondering how bad it's going to be money wise when, not if I replace this battery.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Lot's of speculation and hand-wringing in these posts, which seems to be human nature when it comes to the unknown.

To be clear, it's the MARKET which is driving the switch to electric and hybrid vehicles, and not whomever is the current resident of the WH. Storage is becoming less and less expensive, and will continue to as further advances are made .

And as for replacement - that one falls on the engineers to make sure that it's not a tear down. There is a great video available on YouTube [Link: ] where Elon Musk shows not one, but two Tesla Model S getting battery replacements in less time than it takes to fill the tank on an Audi A7. I'm going to give Ford engineers the benefit of the doubt here until I learn otherwise because every time Tesla comes out with a new model, Ford buys one, tears it down completely, and rebuilds it. Tesla is open source. They don't care if Ford uses their tech. Elon's long term play is to make the air we breath cleaner.

There. Now you can stop the hand-wringing and smile at the sunny day you're about to enjoy!

Last edited:

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
I am with you on this one.
I FULLY expect we will see a BIGGER BATTERY option become available "IF" this hybrid truck hits high sales numbers.

Might well be an after market solution.
But if there is enough customer demand, then someone will step in with a solution.
I suspect it will all come down to SALES VOLUME.

Will Ford F150 drivers be willing to buy into this, or is this just a short term stepping stone to a fully electric F150 and the eventual phase out of Gasoline engines.

SUPER CURRIOUS to see what they do with the F250s a year from now...

JDMan

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
The generator alone being able to power a small house's critical appliances during an extended power outage is enough to sell people on the Hybrid 7.2kW option. As soon as I showed my wife this feature, I had sold her on the truck.

As long as it works as expected without too many mishaps or issues over the next few years, Hybrid 7.2kW trucks are going to be extremely sought-after on the used truck market as contractors look to get native power in their trucks for the price of a used truck.

Imagine being able to go anywhere, unload your contractor table saw or welder, and start cutting or welding. No need to have a client open their garage for power, or no need to search for power on a job site if all you're going to do is a few hours of work.

We'll have to see how the next few years play out, but I believe that Ford hit a home run on this powertrain/generator combo.

libby2cm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Platinum
Occupation
Computer Stuff
The generator alone being able to power a small house's critical appliances during an extended power outage is enough to sell people on the Hybrid 7.2kW option. As soon as I showed my wife this feature, I had sold her on the truck.

As long as it works as expected without too many mishaps or issues over the next few years, Hybrid 7.2kW trucks are going to be extremely sought-after on the used truck market as contractors look to get native power in their trucks for the price of a used truck.

Imagine being able to go anywhere, unload your contractor table saw or welder, and start cutting or welding. No need to have a client open their garage for power, or no need to search for power on a job site if all you're going to do is a few hours of work.

We'll have to see how the next few years play out, but I believe that Ford hit a home run on this powertrain/generator combo.
Yep.. that's my plan for it. I have a portable generator now that i hook to house with panel tie in, so super happy to have a inverter based generator i can power house with and get some garage space back. Now, if only they could manage to deliver any vehicles. I ordered a platinum w/max tow, eq. group, fx4, 7.2kw genny, spray in liner, work surface.. i'll be happy if i see it by june. I like how ford is even trolling me by sending me a offer code for $2000 cash back if i take delivery by march 31st.. love to!

TXENG89

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
To be clear, it's the MARKET which is driving the switch to electric and hybrid vehicles, and not whomever is the current resident of the WH. Storage is becoming less and less expensive, and will continue to as further advances are made .
This is not entirely correct. The market does currently drive the switch, however federal and state regulations influence the market. Whether that is new smog regulations on vehicles and regulations imposed on petroleum production. Also, three states have now passed laws mandating that new combustion vehicle sales will no longer be allowed after a certain specified date.

Sponsored

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Lot's of speculation and hand-wringing in these posts, which seems to be human nature when it comes to the unknown.

And as for replacement - that one falls on the engineers to make sure that it's not a tear down. There is a great video available on YouTube [Link: ] where Elon Musk shows not one, but two Tesla Model S getting battery replacements in less time than it takes to fill the tank on an Audi A7. I'm going to give Ford engineers the benefit of the doubt here until I learn otherwise because every time Tesla comes out with a new model, Ford buys one, tears it down completely, and rebuilds it. Tesla is open source. They don't care if Ford uses their tech. Elon's long term play is to make the air we breath cleaner.

There. Now you can stop the hand-wringing and smile at the sunny day you're about to enjoy!
I can taste my air getting cleaner every time one of Elon musks rockets takes off... Good grief man. Elon musk found a niche in which he could make billions off of government subsidies, play your campfire guitar somewhere else.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
I can taste my air getting cleaner every time one of Elon musks rockets takes off... Good grief man. Elon musk found a niche in which he could make billions off of government subsidies, play your campfire guitar somewhere else.
@Zyvin - I see you're a new member here. Welcome!
Maybe you're not familiar with some of the unwritten rules of this Forum, so I'll politely share with you that personal snipes are frowned upon on this forum. If you don't agree with what someone posts, fine. But don't take a swipe at someone you don't know. That behavior is better suited for the "other" forum.
Thanks, and we all look forward to constructive comments in the future.
(y)

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Based off what I’ve seen, I don’t know if a battery upgrade would be viable. It seems like it would be pretty invasive to drop the old/used pack out of the truck and put a new one in. Not to mention the price.
From the pictures of the demonstration frame, it looks straightforward. Four bolts and an electrical connection. Worst case is the bed would have to be lifted to get access to all the bolts. But that would not push the cost beyond viable in my opinion.

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
This is not entirely correct. The market does currently drive the switch, however federal and state regulations influence the market. Whether that is new smog regulations on vehicles and regulations imposed on petroleum production. Also, three states have now passed laws mandating that new combustion vehicle sales will no longer be allowed after a certain specified date.
Yes. There are a lot of influencers - including the price of gasoline and electricity as well. However, the broader point is still valid. It is the market that is the strongest force. Sometimes, the automakers misread the market but they try their best to read it and move with it.

Ford went into this hybrid based upon its reading of the market. And, it is finding that the response to the hybrid is exceeding its expectations. [It expected to sell a lot fewer of the PB vehicles.] If that continues, it will drive its actions a lot more than smog standards.

At least that's what I think.

Dodgehemi0

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram
Occupation
Military
I would totally look at buying an aftermarket battery if they had more juice and longer run time. Of course it still depends on the cost which I could see being pretty dang expensive.
Sponsored