Sponsored

Projected cargo carrying capacity on specific build?

Pbn2au

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Could anyone point me to a link to help me figure out what the CCC would be on a custom build 2021 (for trailer towing purposes)? I know the max numbers - I'm looking to figure out whether the numbers on the door jamb stickers are calculable on a build. The idea of waiting to find out when the truck is delivered is a little worrying. Thanks!
Sponsored

91heelncville

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Pbn2au I'm with you. Been scratching my head for a few months wondering why the max tow numbers are broadcast widely but the payload (cargo capacity) numbers are kept close to the vest. I have a 2021 Powerboost Limited on order and am still not 100% confident that the payload numbers (Ford materials say around 1800) are accurate.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150
That’s actually quite simple if I’m not mistaken.

With the attached you choose the wheelbase, the cab, the engine and then if it’s 2wd or 4wd.

I ordered mine specifically to have the 2640lbs payload and 13000lbs towing capacity*

2021 XLT Crew cab 6.5 bed 3.5 Eco 4x4

Attachments

Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
That’s actually quite simple if I’m not mistaken.

With the attached you choose the wheelbase, the cab, the engine and then if it’s 2wd or 4wd.

I ordered mine specifically to have the 2640lbs payload and 13000lbs towing capacity*

2021 XLT Crew cab 6.5 bed 3.5 Eco 4x4
Those are the maximum ratings, which everyone assumes is for a stripped down XL. When you start adding options, like the 12" screen, leather max recline seats with massage and electric butt wipers, you cut into those ratings because all of that equipment adds weight. The sunroof adds weight too. For your XLT, you may indeed get close to those numbers if you ordered a 300A or 301A, but if you ordered the 302A and added a bunch of options your actual payload numbers will drop.

The only sure place to find the numbers for your truck is on the stickers in your door jamb.

What they are wanting to know is if there is a calculator that lets you build your truck and show you how each of those heavy option packages changes the payload rating, or at least a guestimate of what the differences in payload are between the trim levels, because as you add heavy comfort and luxury equipment, you lose payload capacity.

To my knowledge, no such calculator exists, so all we can go by are those pictures of the stickers from the drive events.

OP
OP

Pbn2au

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I think the best you're going to do is compare the photos of the door stickers taken at the drive events. I don't think a limited is going to be 1800, I think it is going to be closer to 1371, but that is going off my memory of those photos. I think that was for a Limited, PowerBoost 4x4.

Here's the link to one of the threads that have the photos:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/crowdsourced-questions-for-your-f-150-test-drives.371/page-2
Thanks for the link. I’m interested in a Limited with max tow for a ca. 900lb trailer. With 10% on the hitch, these CCCs aren’t leaving much room
Those are the maximum ratings, which everyone assumes is for a stripped down XL. When you start adding options, like the 12" screen, leather max recline seats with massage and electric butt wipers, you cut into those ratings because all of that equipment adds weight. The sunroof adds weight too. For your XLT, you may indeed get close to those numbers if you ordered a 300A or 301A, but if you ordered the 302A and added a bunch of options your actual payload numbers will drop.

The only sure place to find the numbers for your truck is on the stickers in your door jamb.

What they are wanting to know is if there is a calculator that lets you build your truck and show you how each of those heavy option packages changes the payload rating, or at least a guestimate of what the differences in payload are between the trim levels, because as you add heavy comfort and luxury equipment, you lose payload capacity.

To my knowledge, no such calculator exists, so all we can go by are those pictures of the stickers from the drive events.
Exactly right I’m afraid. The max numbers reported seem quite mythical to me based on the real numbers we’re seeing on the door stickers.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150
I agree with the options and reduced capacity but believe the numbers mostly ring true in my case as with the HDPP it won’t let you add almost anything in terms of options

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
As others have said, expect the Payload on the door sticker to be *many* hundreds of pounds less than theoretical max, based on addition of options. I've posted this before, but see attached - this is the guide for the 2015 models - go to Page 4-8 which lists the impact of options on payload, for example Moonroof = 64lbs, Power Running Boards = 57lbs. I haven't been able to find anything like this for the 2021 models, but I would imagine the specs are pretty similar.

Attachments

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Could anyone point me to a link to help me figure out what the CCC would be on a custom build 2021 (for trailer towing purposes)? I know the max numbers - I'm looking to figure out whether the numbers on the door jamb stickers are calculable on a build. The idea of waiting to find out when the truck is delivered is a little worrying. Thanks!
I don't remember where it was posted, but someone on a forum shared a file that was from 2015, and it listed nearly EVERY option and how much it adds to the curb weight. It may have been for super duty and it was from the ford body builders association. If somehow you can find that again, it was very enlightening! Since it was 2015 it didnt give an idea of what the hybrid, max recline, or things like that add, but most options have been there a while.

Based on that, you could get an idea using a spreadsheet and entering in all the options your trim is coming with.

Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't remember where it was posted, but someone on a forum shared a file that was from 2015, and it listed nearly EVERY option and how much it adds to the curb weight. It may have been for super duty and it was from the ford body builders association. If somehow you can find that again, it was very enlightening! Since it was 2015 it didnt give an idea of what the hybrid, max recline, or things like that add, but most options have been there a while.

Based on that, you could get an idea using a spreadsheet and entering in all the options your trim is coming with.
;) That was me, see my post above. Includes details across truck line, both F150 and SuperDuty

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
;) That was me, see my post above. Includes details across truck line, both F150 and SuperDuty
Hahaha you posted it while I was typing! Great timing...

How in the hell did you get that again? My dealer had absolutely no clue that kind of thing even existed when I asked if it had been updated for 2021. I also search that body builders website and didn't find it.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hahaha you posted it while I was typing! Great timing...

How in the hell did you get that again? My dealer had absolutely no clue that kind of thing even existed when I asked if it had been updated for 2021. I also search that body builders website and didn't find it.
Cannot remember how I got it ... picked it off the internet somewhere way back when I was researching my 2016 F150 and saved it away. It's obviously a FoMoCo type document, I'd guess it should be available to dealers somehow :unsure:
Sponsored