Sponsored

Product recommendations for washing / waxing truck?

MrFish

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ F-150 Fx4 Lariat
I was looking for some recommendations on products to use wash and protect my new truck. It’s black FYI. Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I did a search but didn’t anything on this topic.

Ford F-150 Product recommendations for washing / waxing truck? 3EEA18BF-608C-4E96-99EB-23F8431F7BD6
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I do know that paper towel scratches the black plastic panels between the front and back door windows real easy. Not inpressed.

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
I do know that paper towel scratches the black plastic panels between the front and back door windows real easy. Not inpressed.
Right. Those black plastic trim pieces are *much* softer than paint. As for me, I use nothing but supplies from Griot's Garage.

JTmass

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Ranger
I would suggest washing with the 2 bucket wash method. Google it and you'll get a good run down but basically you're using one bucket for soap and one for rinse. You want to keep grit off your sponge so you don't make swirl marks on the paint. I like Ultima Paint Guard soap for the wash.

For waxing, Collinite 845 is great, lasts long. Meguiars Quick Wax is good for general maintenance.

I f you want to go down the rabbit hole, watch Ammo NYC on YouTube or check out the Auto Detailing subreddit.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Things I did:

I paid to have my paint touched up ($1000)
Paid the shop to apply ceramic coating across the truck ($1000)
Bought and applied Leather ceramic coating on the seats and steering wheel
Bought and applied Wheel and Trim ceramic coating to exterior plastics

Things I use:

Cheapo SunJoe 1800psi pressure washer, I will upgrade when this breaks.

foam cannon: cheap amazon foam cannon

Shampoo: Chemical Guys lemon scented shampoo

Foam soap thing: Chemical Guys

Drying: Chemical Guys drying microfiber towel

For interior cleaning, just buy high quality interior detailer, a vacuum, if you have leather seats you should buy leather cleaner and conditioner.

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I’m pretty anal about car washing and never use the two bucket method. I use mostly Griot’s products. Wash soap, microfiber wash mitt, microfiber drying towels, wheel cleaner, wheel mitt, tire dressing, interior detailer, and glass cleaner. All from Griot’s. Just use a lot of water and don’t rub hard and you’ll be fine.

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
Adam's Polishes is my go to but have some Griot's as well

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
I run all my cars through a pressure wash at the local car wash. I know, heresy. I pay extra and get the ultimate wash with a discount for filling my car. I know people love obsessing over their paint job and my post will be disliked, but It is too much work to do all that hand washing, drying and buffing. I have friends who enjoy it and I get why but I enjoy doing other things. There, let the down votes or hating commence lol. I wrote this knowing I’m in a tiny minority. Do not mean to hijack thread or offend those who love detailing.

Last edited:

Bigtwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Roush F-150, 2019 Edge
What causes scratches and swirls? Ask yourself... its not the wind or rain. Its most likely your washing and drying methods. And all the non pH cleaning stuff in the world will be null if you're not using the proper wash mitt, drying towels and drying aid. I have all the pro stuff hardware from Obsessed Garage (look up Matt on youtube and the internet) and all the top products from Ammo NYC, Adams, Car Pro, Chemical Guys and Griots... I do paint correction on the side, But the key is HOW you wash and HOW you dry your vehicle. Get a good microfiber Incredimitt, use a leaf blower to force dry your car first, obtain good drying towels from The Rag Company... and yes, do the 2 bucket method. Car care is a hobby within a hobby, but maintained right, you'll have a showroom finish for a long time.

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Things I did:

I paid to have my paint touched up ($1000)
Paid the shop to apply ceramic coating across the truck ($1000)
Bought and applied Leather ceramic coating on the seats and steering wheel
Bought and applied Wheel and Trim ceramic coating to exterior plastics

Things I use:

Cheapo SunJoe 1800psi pressure washer, I will upgrade when this breaks.

foam cannon: cheap amazon foam cannon

Shampoo: Chemical Guys lemon scented shampoo

Foam soap thing: Chemical Guys

Drying: Chemical Guys drying microfiber towel

For interior cleaning, just buy high quality interior detailer, a vacuum, if you have leather seats you should buy leather cleaner and conditioner.
Had to Google ceramic leather, that’s a new one for me. What brand and how are the results?

Sponsored

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
2 buckets, 1 buck hot soapy water, 2nd bucket I use RODI water as the final wipe down. I use a combination of brands. Soap, interior, wheels and tires - chemical guys. Protection - Hybrid ceramic turtle wax. Will also use meguiars products. I have a stihl pressure washer with foam cannon.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer

OzzieSr

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Lariat Sport 502A
Chemical guys foam cannon (perfect for cutting down time when washing a truck).
2 bucket wash system.
California Water blade silicone squeegee.
Stihl Leaf blower.
Maguire's carnauba wax.
Throw a clay bar into the mix every now and then to remove brake pad metallic and road grime from lower panels.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
Everyone has their own washing method and a lot has been discussed here, so I will leave that out.

As soon as I got my truck, I washed and sprayed with Adams Iron remover to get rid of any rail dust contaminants from the trip to the dealer. Then polished with Meguiars ultimate polish to smooth down any imperfections with the clear coat. This step brought the best results as you can clearly see some "orange peel" on the paint. I then applied Chemical Guys Butter Wet wax. Final step was a coat of 303 Graphine spray. That stuff is amazing. I have experience with ceramic and won't go back after using the 303. Water shed is amazing. (check out the youtube reviews)

If you don't know of him, check out 'Pan the organizer" on youtube. He has some good content as it applies to vehicle care.

Bigtwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Roush F-150, 2019 Edge
Everyone has their own washing method and a lot has been discussed here, so I will leave that out.

As soon as I got my truck, I washed and sprayed with Adams Iron remover to get rid of any rail dust contaminants from the trip to the dealer. Then polished with Meguiars ultimate polish to smooth down any imperfections with the clear coat. This step brought the best results as you can clearly see some "orange peel" on the paint. I then applied Chemical Guys Butter Wet wax. Final step was a coat of 303 Graphine spray. That stuff is amazing. I have experience with ceramic and won't go back after using the 303. Water shed is amazing. (check out the youtube reviews)

If you don't know of him, check out 'Pan the organizer" on youtube. He has some good content as it applies to vehicle care.
Good advice
Sponsored