Sponsored

Pro Trailer Backup Assist on a Gooseneck - Update: It works!!

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
After 18 months, my truck got the OTA update to use stickers for Pro Trailer Backup Assist, so I now want to move my yaw sensor to my gooseneck horse trailer. Anybody use theirs with a gooseneck? How did it go? Anything I should know?

Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist on a Gooseneck - Update: It works!! IMG_0054
Sponsored

Last edited:

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
^ Correct, the F150 implementation of Trailer Backup Assist does not support gooseneck or 5th wheel trailers even using the hard-wired Yaw Sensor.

AFAIK no one has yet figured out how / if that capability which is available on the SuperDuty can be programmed into our F150's using ForScan.

As the owner of a 5th Wheel RV I'm certainly watching for that.

@Cobra427 please post and if you think about it drop me a PM pointing to your post if you find a solution (thanks in advance!)

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
^ Correct, the F150 implementation of Trailer Backup Assist does not support gooseneck or 5th wheel trailers even using the hard-wired Yaw Sensor.

AFAIK no one has yet figured out how / if that capability which is available on the SuperDuty can be programmed into our F150's using ForScan.

As the owner of a 5th Wheel RV I'm certainly watching for that.

@Cobra427 please post and if you think about it drop me a PM pointing to your post if you find a solution (thanks in advance!)
Yes, I am aware of all this, but I know I saw a post or two somewhere that it can be hacked to work, however the posts were long ago, and now lost to time.

The yaw sensor supplied with a Super Duty is the same, the camera positions are probably different, but perhaps when I add a trailer if I call it a conventional trailer... We'll see.

I installed the yaw sensor to the vertical front wall of the trailer, so all that remains is the calibration test. Details to follow.

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
Got it to work, amazingly. Mounted the yaw sensor to the left front vertical wall of the trailer. Added a new trailer, and selected 'conventional' instead of 'gooseneck.' Took it to a parking lot to calibrate, punched the button, drove straight, turned once, and bingo, calibrated! Much faster calibration than my utility trailer using a sticker.
Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist on a Gooseneck - Update: It works!! IMG_0069
Ford F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist on a Gooseneck - Update: It works!! IMG_0070

Tested it in the parking lot, and it works just fine. Holds straight when the knob is released and centered, turns when the knob is turned. No problems. If you have a yaw sensor, give it a try.
Sponsored