Sponsored

Pro Trailer Back up Assist

rjwood22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I just bought a 2021 F150 Lariat. I love everything about it, but the back up assist. I didn't get stickers or a sensor and the instrument panel doesn't have a set up for the pro trailer.
The knob is on the dash and powered. Is there something I am missing?
Is there a module that wasn't installed?
Do they just put the knob on the dash even if the pro trailering isn't completely functional?
Thanks,
Sponsored

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
There should be a supplemental book in your glove compartment. The stickers should be in the back of that supplemental manual.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Don't know what your backing experience is but I don't find the system very useful. I set up my travel trailer with the stickers to use the system but it seemed counter intuitive to me when I tried to use it. I've been backing trailers for years, though, so maybe it's just not possible to retrain an old horse.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Don't know what your backing experience is but I don't find the system very useful. I set up my travel trailer with the stickers to use the system but it seemed counter intuitive to me when I tried to use it. I've been backing trailers for years, though, so maybe it's just not possible to retrain an old horse.
Old School Backup Assist: Put hand on bottom of steering wheel (6 o'clock position). If you turn the steering wheel to the right, the trailer will go right. Otherwise, if you turn the steering wheel to the left, the trailer will go left. Just remember this if you ever loose your stickers. ?

Ford could have just added an option on the trailer settings page to turn on instructions to display in the instrument cluster on how to turn the steering wheel when reversing in tow haul mode. Then Ford wouldn't even need the stickers and the knob. It's funny that Ford went electronic user manual, but added paper stickers.

Last edited:

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Old School Backup Assist: Put hand on bottom of steering wheel (6 o'clock position). If you turn the steering wheel to the right, the trailer will go right. Otherwise, if you turn the steering wheel to the left, the trailer will go left. Just remember this if you ever loose your stickers. ?

Ford could have just added an option on the trailer settings page to turn on instructions to display in the instrument cluster on how to turn the steering wheel when reversing in tow haul mode. Then Ford wouldn't even need the stickers and the knob. It's funny that Ford went electronic user manual, but added paper stickers.
Those trailer sensors were electronic and therefore required chips. My guess is that Ford reallocated semiconductor wafer fab capacity to build more critical electronics for their trucks and let the minor electronics like the trailer sensors drop off the line.

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Try pushing the center of the Pro Trailer knob. IIRC, this started the setup process on my truck. Of course without a sensor/sticker you won't complete the setup, but it would be interesting to see if it does anything.

OP
OP

rjwood22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
There should be a supplemental book in your glove compartment. The stickers should be in the back of that supplemental manual.
There was no book or owners manual. I'm still working with salesman to make sure I got everything.
Try pushing the center of the Pro Trailer knob. IIRC, this started the setup process on my truck. Of course without a sensor/sticker you won't complete the setup, but it would be interesting to see if it does anything.
Yep! Tried that nothing.

OP
OP

rjwood22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I guess I wasn't very clear on my original question. I'm not asking if it is useful or not. I'm asking if there is something I paid for that is not working properly. I wanted to be informed before going toe-to-toe with salesman, manager, service, etc.

Thanks for all the comments and replies.

VbPb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I guess I wasn't very clear on my original question. I'm not asking if it is useful or not. I'm asking if there is something I paid for that is not working properly. I wanted to be informed before going toe-to-toe with salesman, manager, service, etc.

Thanks for all the comments and replies.
I just pressed the button inside the backup knob and the ON lit up. Also, the truck popped up a dialog box in the center stack display to setup the trailer.

It’s complicated. There are different combinations of the ProTrailer back-up assist Gen14 F150s. I’m not sure how to tell them apart. Maybe a dealer visit would identify the issues with your truck.
Combinations I’m aware of:
1) Early Gen14s came with a sensor rat-n-snake cable inside the truck. Those could be lifted by the transportation/delivery personnel. I don’t know how to tell which trucks should have included the sensor. But, Ford gimped the SW in those trucks and they couldn’t use the stickers. Rumor has it Ford will restore SW support for stickers in an OTA update. Nobody knows when that will happen.

2) Revision B Gen14s are rumored to support the stickers. I’ve heard Rev B trucks do support the stickers. The Rev B trucks were produced starting in late October. I think my truck is a Rev B. But, I haven’t had a chance to set it up yet.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
From what I have read on this forum, 2021 Job 2 F-150's are those built after July 8, 2021. There is no term called Rev B that I am aware of.

Job 2 trucks will work with the stickers as built. Job 1 trucks may eventually get the software to work with the stickers.

My truck was built on 9/24/2021, it is a Job 2 truck that came with the supplemental manual with the stickers in the back of that book. I didn't get the 12 pin cable that was supplied with ONLY Job 1 trucks. BTW, there should also be a 7 to 4 pin connector (about 5 inches long) in the glove box in a little plastic bag.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cfrea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Does anyone know, will the sensor and cables work with 2022 trucks? I'm thinking of buying the kit when I get my truck. I feel like a sensor is a lot more accurate than stickers

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Does anyone know, will the sensor and cables work with 2022 trucks? I'm thinking of buying the kit when I get my truck. I feel like a sensor is a lot more accurate than stickers
The answer is... yes it will work.

In the 1st printing of the 2022 F-150 user manual (see page 425) the following is stated for using the trailer sensor:

"You need to purchase a sensor kit and 7/12 way connector to replace the 7/4 way connector on your vehicle to setup the system with a sensor. See your authorized dealer.

Refer to the instructions included with your trailer sensor for detailed information regarding installation."

Also, In the second printing of the 2021 user manual dated Oct 2021 on page 449 the following is stated:

Note: If your vehicle came with a trailer
sensor kit, the vehicle will receive an update
that allows the system to operate with a
sensor or sticker. If your vehicle did not come
with a trailer sensor kit, your vehicle can be
setup using either method, but you need to
separately purchase the trailer sensor kit
from your authorized dealer.

cfrea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Thanks! Does anyone have any insight if one works better than the other?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks! Does anyone have any insight if one works better than the other?
I have used both. My 2017 EB used sticker only, and my 2021 PB (job 1 apparently) only uses sensor. The functionality is the same for both when they work. Here are my takes on pros/cons

Stickers:
Pros -
  • Can do multiple trailers (slap one sticker per trailer)
  • Easiest to mount as long as your hitch has a clear area for the camera to see
  • If you sell trailer and get a new one, put a new sticker no problem!
  • You get about 5 or 6 stickers with initial purchase
  • Can be submerged if you use it on a boat trailer
Cons -
  • Occasionally camera didn't see sticker (I think my trailer plug cable blocked it once, another time it took 3 tries but don't know why)
  • Doesn't work on a 5th wheel/gooseneck
Sensor:
Pros -
  • Mine hasn't failed once
  • Calibration step in setup was quicker
  • Works on a 5th wheel/gooseneck
Cons -
  • You only get 1 sensor when you purchase!
  • If you own more than one trailer you are screwed and have to figure out a way to keep transferring it
  • If you sell and buy a new trailer you have to transfer it
  • The cable is cumbersome and may not be convenient to mount and take up all the slack
  • You CANNOT submerge it if you use it on a boat trailer
  • They seem to be costly if available at all, to replace or order spares

I have no problems with the sensor, it works great and I found a way to mount it. My biggest complaint is that our Job1 trucks STILL cannot use the stickers! So my utility trailer that has a sticker on it doesn't help me. I have to just back it up like some kind of caveman (it's fine and I'm capable but it is way more FUN to use the tech!). We SHOULD have the ability to use both, as promised in the manual.

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
both my 21 trucks came with a bag with wires sensors and plug, never use them because i know how to back up a trailer, but came with the complete kit!
Sponsored