Sponsored

Pro Trailer Assist

uga40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT, 3.5L Ecoboost
I have been doing a lot of camping with my 26ft travel trailer and towing a lot with my F150. Just came over from a Ram Ecodiesel and love it so far. I decided to quit being lazy and give the trailer assist a try on our last trip. I thought it would be a gimmick, but I have to tell you it works really well. I backed into to multiple sites and my driveway with ease using the system. I thought it would be a learning curve and really would only install it in case my wife has to drive the travel trailer (God forbid lol) and park it, but I was presently surprised.
Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I have been doing a lot of camping with my 26ft travel trailer and towing a lot with my F150. Just came over from a Ram Ecodiesel and love it so far. I decided to quit being lazy and give the trailer assist a try on our last trip. I thought it would be a gimmick, but I have to tell you it works really well. I backed into to multiple sites and my driveway with ease using the system. I thought it would be a learning curve and really would only install it in case my wife has to drive the travel trailer (God forbid lol) and park it, but I was presently surprised.
This will be my first truck with any trailer aids so I too will try it for the hell of it. Sounds like setting it up isn’t as easy as the stickers of the gen 13’s but once installed you don’t have to worry about it. I saw a video where a guy installed his yaw sensor with zip ties so he can move it from trailer to trailer. Apparently the yaw sensors are kinda spendy. Welcome to the forum!!

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
This will be my first truck with any trailer aids so I too will try it for the hell of it. Sounds like setting it up isn’t as easy as the stickers of the gen 13’s but once installed you don’t have to worry about it. I saw a video where a guy installed his yaw sensor with zip ties so he can move it from trailer to trailer. Apparently the yaw sensors are kinda spendy. Welcome to the forum!!
Install was very easy: mount the yaw sensor, tell the truck about the trailer to set things up, pull forward a bit, the make a turn when prompted.

I literally did it as I was leaving for a weekend trip camping. Took maybe 10 extra minutes.

BCP28

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 2023 Ford Mach-E4x
Occupation
Engineer
I would consider myself to be fairly competent when it comes to backing a trailer, but figured that since the truck came with the feature I'd give it a try. Setup on my boat trailer was pretty easy, took all of about 10 minutes including calibrating it.

I will say there is definitely a learning curve and it takes a bit of trust to use the knob and not the steering wheel, especially if you are used to doing it the old fashioned way. But once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy and intuitive.

Overall, I'd say it's a neat feature, and offers a little more than just being a gimmick, especially for drivers who are new to towing.

ryken

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Sport; '19 Honda Odyssey
This is our first truck and we bought our first camper (18' Aliner) a couple weeks ago. We have never towed a trailer before, much less backed one up, and we were able to get the Aliner backed into the garage in about 5 minutes using the pro backup assist. There is about 8-10" of clearance on each side, so it's a fairly tight fit. I was super nervous about it, but the backup assist combined with trailer reverse guidance makes it very easy and it's one of the best features about the truck. I'm sure there's lots of macho dudes who can backup trailers just fine without it (eyeroll), but it's much more than a gimmick feature imo.

Sponsored

BILDOZER

First Name
BILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Management
I love it! We have a small Rockwood 18 foot A frame same as your Aliner and putting it on the garage used to be stressful with many times pulling foward and reangling. Now it's get the trailer straight, release the knob and back in one time easy peasy..

Mr Baloo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Plat, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
CPA
I am new to this tech.. where would I find the Yaw sensor to mount it??? not sure I got anything but the tie downs with my new '21?

ryken

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Sport; '19 Honda Odyssey
I am new to this tech.. where would I find the Yaw sensor to mount it??? not sure I got anything but the tie downs with my new '21?
Came in a big bag in the backseat of the truck with some zipties and instructions.

Wsaunders2

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat SCrew FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
IT Director
Ive tried multiple times and can’t get the yaw sensor to ever calibrate. Tried slow turns, sharp turns, left, right etc. I’ve remounted the sensor and verified all connections. Will give it one more try then take back to dealership in case it’s a bad sensor. Have it on a 22’ pontoon trailer.

shalabama

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Ive tried multiple times and can’t get the yaw sensor to ever calibrate. Tried slow turns, sharp turns, left, right etc. I’ve remounted the sensor and verified all connections. Will give it one more try then take back to dealership in case it’s a bad sensor. Have it on a 22’ pontoon trailer.
Afraid it does sounds like an issue for the dealer. Mine only too one short easy turn and it was good to go. Hope this will be a simple fix for you.

Sponsored

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician
I haven't even set it up yet on my '21 Lariat....but my '20 XLT seemed to be way too sensitive when turning the knob. I have no problem backing a trailer the conventional way so really don't need it. But I'll probably set it up when the update comes out to use the stickers...since its there anyway.

Djansma

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 lariat
Occupation
Retired ford technician (40yrs)
My pro assist has not worked since the day I picked up my truck built in oct of 21 . Three trips to the dealer put a rcm module in and now have a fse saying put a imaging prosessing module in it
neither the yaw sensor or the stickers work. Not real happy with ford right now. Plus 180 miles round trip every time

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Set it up used it maybe a couple times. Now I find myself not to bother with it. I definitely wouldn’t order it on a new truck. To many miles backing up for this ole timer to use this option. One other thing, keep your hands away from the steering wheel while using it, I’m surprised someone hasn’t broke a wrist.

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Set it up used it maybe a couple times. Now I find myself not to bother with it. I definitely wouldn’t order it on a new truck. To many miles backing up for this ole timer to use this option. One other thing, keep your hands away from the steering wheel while using it, I’m surprised some hasn’t broke a wrist.
I have had it on 2 trucks and never used it. Backing trailers is second nature to me. Just put it in reverse and stuff it where I want.
Sponsored