Sponsored

Pro Power comes on automatically at startup?

Gcal73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.0L
Well, I have the 5.0 with 2kw pro power that doesn't work at all anymore. 1800 miles. Hit the green reset and nothing. Only ever had a cell phone charger plugged in cab. No AC 120 v plugs work in cab or out now. The error message says 'pro power onboard is currently unavailable. See owners manual for details'. I have already had the truck back to dealer for windows not opening or closing- flashed, a new oil cooler as the original leaked motor oil all over my driveway, trailer alert faults that are incorrect, alarm system going off for no reason...more time in the shop then out. I am calling dealer now about 'pro power' issue. Not impressed.
Sponsored

Truman

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 150 Powerbost King Ranch
Occupation
Retired state trooper
The Pro Power button? What 3 modes does it do? I've only noticed on and off.
It shows Off,,Lowpower mode and generator mode these cycle through with the button at the top left on the dash board ...next to the parking push button. Mine is red all the time in low power mode too

Ford F-150 Pro Power comes on automatically at startup? IMG_1269

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
I found a lariat in dealer inventory that has the 3.5L EB w/2k power in Feb and it seems odd to say the least that every time I start the car the fans in the back start whirring away when I am not, and don't intend to, use the generator at the time. At the very least it should remember that I had turned it off. Why it doesn't default to "off" is beyond me. How many of us even use it once every month or two? Unless I'm missing something fundamental, there's no power being used at that moment and no need to cool an inverter.
Indeed. Same issue with the 2kw in my Platinum. Fans going all the time, even though I don't need it to be on. An annoyance for sure, given those trucks are so quiet inside, aside from those fans in the back.

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
Indeed. Same issue with the 2kw in my Platinum. Fans going all the time, even though I don't need it to be on. An annoyance for sure, given those trucks are so quiet inside, aside from those fans in the back.
Any update on this? I have a 3.5L Ecoboost / 2kw and i see it defaults to ON every start up. The fan is definitely loud enough to hear espeically for the rear passengers!

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
Any update on this? I have a 3.5L Ecoboost / 2kw and i see it defaults to ON every start up. The fan is definitely loud enough to hear espeically for the rear passengers!
Good question. Either the problem has fixed itself, or I've gotten used to the noise lol! I'll have to listen for it next time I'm in there

Sponsored

mdj

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR, 57 T-Bird, 66 Mustang, 05 Navigator
This thread might be mixing 2 things:

If you have a phase A and B, you have a 7.2kW powerboost. The interior outlets ALL run on phase A. The regular 400W inverter under the 40% rear seat handles this, it's the same inverter we've had for years on these trucks, inverting from the 12V battery. So propower isn't so much "on" as it is "available". (at least, that is my interpretation of the behavior I've seen and what I've read)

If you have a 2kW propower then you do not have a hybrid you have an EB or 5.0. You have a giant inverter under the 60% rear seat in addition to the same old 400W inverter under the 40% rear seat. I don't have experience playing with one of these but I have seen complaints that it starts as "on" and is very loud, and you have to turn it off. Seems like it should default to off and is an oversight by Ford.
I have a KR EB with Pro Power on Board 2kW. You are correct that the 2kW inverter is under the 60% seat. Under the 40%, however, are the two 12V batteries wired in parallel for the 24V system that feeds the inverter and is charged by a separate alternator.

My PPoB comes on in low power mode (Generator off) whenever I start the truck to power the 120v sockets in the cab. You can quickly turn it off by hitting the button on the dash twice as it cycles through the modes (LP, GEN ON, OFF).

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
I have the 7.2kw PB and mine always defaults to on as well, like OP's photo. Is this how it is supposed to be? Could it be the cause of lower MPG?

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Looking for insight into an issue that I discovered today. I have PB with 7.2 pro power generator. Have not officially used since I purchased vehicle in July. Have plugged in a light and my garage vacuum to make sure it works. It does.
Today early prep for trip to my Alma Mater next Saturday and a little tailgating. Tried plugging in my electric grill. Immediately "ground fault error" pops up. I removed plug and it goes away. It is a 3 prong plug and works in house plug. Any thoughts, knowledge or sources?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Looking for insight into an issue that I discovered today. I have PB with 7.2 pro power generator. Have not officially used since I purchased vehicle in July. Have plugged in a light and my garage vacuum to make sure it works. It does.
Today early prep for trip to my Alma Mater next Saturday and a little tailgating. Tried plugging in my electric grill. Immediately "ground fault error" pops up. I removed plug and it goes away. It is a 3 prong plug and works in house plug. Any thoughts, knowledge or sources?
Is it a GFCI that you are plugging it in to in your house? If not, try plugging it into a GFCI receptacle inside and see if the same thing happens. If it does, odds are you have a bad heating element. If it doesn't, could just be a fluke. Try it again on the truck and see what happens.

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Is it a GFCI that you are plugging it in to in your house? If not, try plugging it into a GFCI receptacle inside and see if the same thing happens. If it does, odds are you have a bad heating element. If it doesn't, could just be a fluke. Try it again on the truck and see what happens.
Several other replies have suggested same possibility. Also suggested the type of control unit may not have an acceptable ground. I have a new one arriving today that is of the same type, ie; George Foreman. If ground default error again, I will go to a different option. Probably a large air fryer. If that does not work, last option is to just drink beer and forget the food.

Sponsored

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
Anyone ever figure out how to keep ProPower set to "off" upon startup? Mine is always on when I start, and using a low amount of power when its not needed.

deputydog2003

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Does pro power have to be automatically on when I start my truck? The generator is noisy and I’d prefer to only have it on when I’m using it (which isn’t very often).
can this be accomplished either through the menu or by using forscan?

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Not sure if you guys have looked but under the 40% seat in the back isn’t an inverter it’s actually a small 12 volt lithium battery. I believe All inverter functionality actually comes from under the truck now. Also if you ever disconnect your battery you also have to disconnect the small 12 volt battery under the seat and pull the disconnect for the high voltage system under the hood on the drivers side for all power to be disconnected. It’s a small green plug close to the drivers side fender.

FWIW, low power mode (Leg A only) is always on when you first start, you can turn on high power (7.2kw leg B), generator mode or all outlets off optionally.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
My 7.2 ProPower stays off unless turned on. I noticed fuel mileage was 2-3 mpg low and investigated - found it on and determined that was the reason.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
If Ford is listening - please update system so Pro-Power is not automatically on when I start the truck. Noise of inverter is super annoying.
Ford listens. I have thread about my propower groundfaulting. I never know if generator will work or not and reset never works.ever !
For now i lesve low power on and truck remembers that in startup . Ive left it on low power for days now and the errors about groundfault have lessened and resets on own with time and key cycle . Seems like 30 minutez off and it will reset. Not easy but resets as long as test button not touched . If test button touched it stays in fault for days through key cycles. Also my Fordpass app wont stay on and it disappers. Clearly something is wrong with my trucks computer software. Mine was built in october . Bought it November 2nd 2021. Been to dealer for 4 days so far . First told software update due in April 2022 with an OTA. Spoke to Sales at my dealer and they found another bulletin that says theres an in dealer update they have (bulletin was october 11th ). I will put truck in next week for that update. Ive registered a case number with Ford customer relations in case my truck cannot be fixed . I asked for compensation and was told since i bought extended warranty that they have to wait until the truck update in april for generator and this "fix is seen in its totality " that was the reps words. Meanwhile i told them im out a big down payment and 2 mos car payments so far for a dysfunctional truck . My dealer is awesome . Ford manufacturer is disappointing . This is my fifth Ford over 20 years and may be my last . Ill buy used vehicles from my dealer in future and thorougly dissect the history, service records if possible and never buy a first model year again . Even a build late in the year . I made an error not keeping my 2015 expedition for another 35,000 miles .
Sponsored