First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor, 2019 VW Atlas, 2001 Land Cruiser
Occupation
Healthcare IT
Anyone else done some research or use of their Pro-Power-2KW Generator? I have it as part of my truck. Wish we could get the larger Pro-Power package but that looks to be tied to the Hybrid?

There is a cool video tutorial as part of our info center in the truck.
Sponsored

Madeinchina

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor, 2012 Mustang GT
I was milling about on this option. 2kW is enough to run a few glamping items or a few corded tools. I figured that if I really wanted to run these items I would just get a portable inverter for half the cost and haul it with me instead of having to run the truck.

After 3 months of waiting around for my 402a to be scheduled, I'm leaning towards adding it into my 2022 order if I don't get scheduled by 9/30. I'll be that idiot frying chicken at the top of a trail.

What be great to hear how other folks have used theirs.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
Anyone else done some research or use of their Pro-Power-2KW Generator? I have it as part of my truck. Wish we could get the larger Pro-Power package but that looks to be tied to the Hybrid?

There is a cool video tutorial as part of our info center in the truck.
that is correct 7.2 kw is only for the 3.5 L eco hybrid… and to be honest for the $700 option, is well worth it IMO… but all depends on the application of use.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
So I think some clarification needs done here. Please someone correct me if I am mistaken.

1. I'm not sure the 2K classifies as a "generator" as the power is supplied by a inverter.
2. While using the 2K, the truck must be running the entire time. This is much different behavior than the PowerBoost as power is supplied by the cells and the truck only runs to recharge those battery cells.

Did I get that correct?

OP
OP
ChrisSandstorm

ChrisSandstorm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor, 2019 VW Atlas, 2001 Land Cruiser
Occupation
Healthcare IT
We have a Flagstaff Epro 20BHS travel trailer, so my natural thought was tap into the truck when boondocking vs. bringing the generator. But 2KW is not a lot, I might still play around with it and see what it will run. The AC in the trailer won't work with a 2K unless everything else is turned off. But the trailer also has solar. So really the only thing I can think of is the microwave. Also we have a portable plug-in fridge. On long trips we bring it and I ran a chord in the cabin, this will be nice to just plug it in, in the back.

Sponsored

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So I think some clarification needs done here. Please someone correct me if I am mistaken.

1. I'm not sure the 2K classifies as a "generator" as the power is supplied by a inverter.
2. While using the 2K, the truck must be running the entire time. This is much different behavior than the PowerBoost as power is supplied by the cells and the truck only runs to recharge those battery cells.

Did I get that correct?
Both systems work the same Truck engine runs to turn alternator to charge Battery, Battery power is ran through a DC to AC Inverter and made available at the outlets.

Difference lies in the Size and operation of the systems

400w & 2kW - Small pass though battery (requires truck engine to run 100%) to supply power through the inverter.

2.4kW & 7.2kW - Large Hybrid battery systems which can supply power through the inverter with the truck engine off. The system will automatically start and stop the engine to recharge the hybrid batteries as power is used.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
Both systems work the same Truck engine runs to turn alternator to charge Battery, Battery power is ran through a DC to AC Inverter and made available at the outlets.

Difference lies in the Size and operation of the systems

400w & 2kW - Small pass though battery (requires truck engine to run 100%) to supply power through the inverter.

2.4kW & 7.2kW - Large Hybrid battery systems which can supply power through the inverter with the truck engine off. The system will automatically start and stop the engine to recharge the hybrid batteries as power is used.
Thank you for the detailed explanation.

BA73

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Construction
We have a Flagstaff Epro 20BHS travel trailer, so my natural thought was tap into the truck when boondocking vs. bringing the generator. But 2KW is not a lot, I might still play around with it and see what it will run. The AC in the trailer won't work with a 2K unless everything else is turned off. But the trailer also has solar. So really the only thing I can think of is the microwave. Also we have a portable plug-in fridge. On long trips we bring it and I ran a chord in the cabin, this will be nice to just plug it in, in the back.
If one didn't have solar, could the the 2Kw be used to charge the trailer batteries while driving to the destination?

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Not sure if the link listed below will work in here, but in that thread I ran some tests with some hot air guns (like industrial hair dryers), and I could not even get the advertised 2kW out of the system. Still need to run more tests, and possibly put in a warranty claim for it, since it seems like Ford is advertising that you should be able to pull 20A and 120v out of this system....I only got around 1.5kW and it was at 107 volts not 120...

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/2kw-pro-power-with-ecoboost.5440/#post-92310

Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Ether Graboid
If one didn't have solar, could the the 2Kw be used to charge the trailer batteries while driving to the destination?
Your 7 pin already does that.
With that said, I intend on modifying the setup with a 3KW psw inverter and use the portable 13KW battery I built. Simple switch at first and a controller, later.

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I added the 2 kW ProPower to my 5.0L Lariat to use as backup power in case of a blackout at my house. Here are a few of the advantages I see over a stand alone generator:

Unlike a generator, the gas doesn't go stale and you don't have to store multiple gas cans around the house (which also will go stale) and you don't have to maintain another engine (oil changes, making sure mice don't get to the wiring when it's stored in a shed etc.).

I've seen tests online that the 5.0L burns about .7 gallons an hour while running in generator mode. I also added the 36 gallon fuel tank to the truck so I can expect about 45 hours or run time on one tank. I've never used a stand alone generator but I've read they have relatively small fuel tanks and need to be re-filled every couple of hours.

The truck is pretty quiet when running as opposed to a gas generator.

The truck is easy to move around if you need power someplace else (like taking it to a neighbors house) unlike a heavy, cumbersome generator.

Just my thoughts.
Sponsored