Pro-Comp Level questions regarding suspension travel

tboger7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F-150 FX4
Occupation
Electrician
So the pro comp 2.5” kit seems to be the most popular so far, but after looking more into it I have some questions.

I’m no suspension expert, so please feel free to jump in and correct me but these are my thoughts/concerns:

The pro comp kit is a 2 piece kit with one spacer going on top of the “coilover” assembly - as to be expected. However, the next spacer that sits between the top hat and the spring is what’s concerning me.

Everybody claims that the ride is not affected and that may be true being that the spring rate and dampening is unchanged. That being said, in my mind, by putting the spacer in at that spot and lowering the spring’s position by 1.5”(?)with the same spring rate, you’re now forcing the shock to extend that same distance to compensate and create some of that lift.

Obviously works out great sitting still, but when you think about it, what is it doing to the overall travel of the suspension? In theory, you’ve already taken away 1.5”(?) of downward travel without the suspension even being active. The shocks will also, in theory, never fully compress as the springs combined with the new spacer has shifted the overall position of the shock downward by 1.5”(?).

I guess at the end of the day I’m just thinking about the life of the shocks and how the suspension is actually affected by this particular kit. If it is going to cause premature failure of the stock shocks, I’m considering just putting the money out now for a set of coil overs or something that’s going to last a bit longer.

Lets see what your thoughts are…
Sponsored

TxBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor
Depends on how you will be using your truck.

I’d never do spacers or pucks on a truck I was going to use off road extensively.

But if you are just wanting it more for looks and/or aren’t articulating your suspension often and to the extremes, then it’s probably fine. That’s my case and probably the case for 90% of drivers. Even if you use it off road, hitting trails, creeks and logging roads aren’t likely to cause the kind of articulation that would be an issue.

Static

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 - 2021 XL 4x4 Supercab
I kind of like this kit as it seems to prioritize the spring preload over just adding a spacer on top of the whole shock. I would imagine that adding preload to the spring has a less negative effect on travel because the shock itself is not moving as much. It's basically how the fox and Bilstein adjustable shocks add lift, this just isn't adjustable. I found this kit on ebay for $80 and am going to try the install without the spacer on top and see how much it gains, I don't want to go full 2.5 anyway.

OP
OP

tboger7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F-150 FX4
Occupation
Electrician
I kind of like this kit as it seems to prioritize the spring preload over just adding a spacer on top of the whole shock. I would imagine that adding preload to the spring has a less negative effect on travel because the shock itself is not moving as much. It's basically how the fox and Bilstein adjustable shocks add lift, this just isn't adjustable. I found this kit on ebay for $80 and am going to try the install without the spacer on top and see how much it gains, I don't want to go full 2.5 anyway.
Post some pictures and let us know your thoughts!

Sponsored

Static

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Finally got around to installing this today, I just put the spring preload spacer in and left the 2nd spacer that goes on the top off. Initial measurements show this gave me 2 inches of lift, leaving a 1 inch difference between the front and back. That's pretty much exactly what I wanted, I was hoping to still have some rake for when I haul stuff, so I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, it's dark out now.

On a couple short test drives I can't tell any difference in how it rides, so it doesn't seem to have negatively affected that. Also haven't gotten an alignment yet but, so I'll see if I can get a free check somewhere to see how much this threw things off.

Static

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles