Pricing Ford VS. Ram

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
It is not an apples to apples comparison and this is partly by design. For example Ford's bed utility package adds $695 to the purchase price and requires no changes to the truck build. With Ram their bed step requires a number of other changes that make the total cost at $2,000.
Well, that's not exactly true. For the tailgate step and work surface, it's actually a different tailgate. Different part with different internals and cutouts, you can't retrofit the step or the work surface into a truck without it without replaceing the entire tailgate.

I was salty when I built my 2023 because the only thing in the "bed utility package" I wanted was the lights, and you can't order that a-la-carte like you used to be able to. You had to buy $700 worth of other stuff i don't want or need. You can buy the boxlink's a-la-carte still, why not the lights? The truck is already wired for it, it's literally putting in a $12 part and a $2 switch (their costs, not ours) and changing a couple switches in software.

So i'm going to buy the identical parts for under $100 and make it work myself.
Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
The point I was making is that for $695 I can have a Ford with an excellent tailgate for getting up and back down from the bed of the truck. With the Ram solution I have to pay $2,000. Different designs but what I was commenting on was the difference in cost to the buyer.

Toyota is the worst in this area where all the provide is a Amp Research step for their tundra trucks and this is not a good solution for stepping down from the bed as the step is not in view. Miss the step and one is likely to take a tumble.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Last year I was looking at the Tundra, the Ram 1500, and the F-150 trucks for my next truck. I went online and did builds for all of them with the equipment I wanted and then looked at the resulting MSRP. That is as close as one can get to an apples to apples comparison.

I then started looking at what was actually available on dealers' lots within 100 miles of my house. The only truck that met my minimum requirements for the large gas tank and locking rear differential and engine was the F-150 that I bought, although I paid $5,000 over MSRP.
Sponsored