Pricing Ford VS. Ram

FordFan89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
What is everyone thinking we will see on rebates in June/July...Will Ford get to the same discount that we are currently seeing on Rams? I am currently seeing 18k off new Ram Laramies in the DFW area and 15k off Lone Star....Days supply of F150 in same area is well over 100 days now so thinking we will at least see 10-15k off by July....Substantially better pricing than you can get from Granger so also curious if more and more will walk away from there custom builds if prices on stock inventory will be substantially lower than previously negotiated new truck orders.

I think i would need 30k off before ever driving a ram but its tempting to pull trigger on a Laramie vs. XLT at same price point.

Examples in DFW on Ram
New 2023 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab Pickup in Fort Worth #PN576095 | AutoNation Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram North Richland Hills

New 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab Pickup in Fort Worth #PN513159 | AutoNation Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram North Richland Hills
Sponsored

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum SCrew, Smoked Quartz, 701a, FX4
I feel as though it has been a bit since the Ram generation debuted in 2019 without any meaningful refresh or updates. Ram enthusiasts that already own a 5th Gen Ram likely don't feel the need to get another since it is basically what they already have (unless they are upgrading trim). Ford doesn't let grass grow under their generations that long. Three years and then there is a refresh noticeable enough you can tell the difference just from looking. Many Ford Gen 14A owners will switch to Gen 14B. It seems like Ram keeps their platforms unchanged for a long time. They do save in the design expenses, maybe it works out for them. These incentives don't seem to suggest that. Neither GM, Toyota or Ford are offering such aggressive discounts to sell trucks right now. The obvious reasons are that they do not have to.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Considering 3% under invoice from Granger is better than the 2% under invoice that A/Z plan is, I wouldnt plan on seeing broad incentives from Ford better than either of those. Maybe if you got a PCO and could stack that on top of some special incentive, but I think that Granger is going to be your best pricing. Ford's CEO has also been pretty vocal about wanting to get away from incentives

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Well regardless of what the boss would like (CEO), the market will determine whether or not Ford and dealerships will have to offer the consumer incentives to buy their product.

Ford (GM & Ram) has been churning out 1/2 ton trucks at a staggering rate for several decades. Has continued through almost every market imaginable. Thin times, fat times.

The one thing you can count on is that if/when the assembly line has no place to ship to because the dealership inventory is stacking up,..... Well, you know what that means.

Admittedly, it feels like a long time since that was the case, but it really was just a few short years ago.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Pricing seems right to me.

I'm sure I can find a well equipped Frontier priced lower than a Tacoma.

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've had 3 Rams, wouldn't hesitate at all to get another.
I had Rams as well. I like Ram. But there is a definite pattern for Ram sales. They debut a new generation and it sells really, really well. However, the sales numbers then slowly drop off over the course of time. The 2019 Ram 1500 (year 1 of Gen 5) sold 633,694 total units. 2022 sold only 468,344 units. Of course, there is no difference at all between the 2022 and 2019 models (or 2023 for that matter). That is my point. If you are driving a 2019 or 2020 Ram, why replace it? They are built well and should still be in great working order. So the bulk of your buyers are likely people who drive other trucks or are ready to get out of their Gen 4 Rams. Gonna be less for each year that they keep the platform without changes. In 2024 it looks like the ICE version of Ram will stay the same and all the new development will go into the Ram Rev EV truck. So i doubt Ram ICE sales will increase absent some discounting.

Point being, when sales slow - your overhead does not and they need to move units to keep their UAW workers employed. Thus, incentives appear. At these prices we are starting to see, I know some Ram guys that will swap out their 2019s for brand new and maybe even pay a little less a month. Good for them.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
I don’t think you can take 20-22 sales numbers into account for anything given the supply chain constraints there were

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
Ford has been and will always be conservative when it comes to manufacture rebates/incentives. Chevy, GMC and RAM are definitely more generous when it comes to rebates/incentives.

Sponsored

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
I had Rams as well. I like Ram. But there is a definite pattern for Ram sales. They debut a new generation and it sells really, really well. However, the sales numbers then slowly drop off over the course of time. The 2019 Ram 1500 (year 1 of Gen 5) sold 633,694 total units. 2022 sold only 468,344 units. Of course, there is no difference at all between the 2022 and 2019 models (or 2023 for that matter). That is my point. If you are driving a 2019 or 2020 Ram, why replace it? They are built well and should still be in great working order. So the bulk of your buyers are likely people who drive other trucks or are ready to get out of their Gen 4 Rams. Gonna be less for each year that they keep the platform without changes. In 2024 it looks like the ICE version of Ram will stay the same and all the new development will go into the Ram Rev EV truck. So i doubt Ram ICE sales will increase absent some discounting.

Point being, when sales slow - your overhead does not and they need to move units to keep their UAW workers employed. Thus, incentives appear. At these prices we are starting to see, I know some Ram guys that will swap out their 2019s for brand new and maybe even pay a little less a month. Good for them.
2019 vs 2023 RAM definitely do have differences. They’re not major differences but definitely still do have some changes.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I am actually not a fan of the constant design changes Ford does. That’s why every other gen Ford puts out garbage then has to fix it. Sorry but that’s honest truth. The 5.4 3V sucked, the early gen 2 EcoBoost sucked, the early gen 3 Coyote sucked. The early aluminum trucks had too many issues to count. I have no issue with evolutionary vs revolutionary, just update it here and there at a minimum.

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don’t think you can take 20-22 sales numbers into account for anything given the supply chain constraints there were
There is a lot of truth to this. I definitely feel that Ford felt it harder due to the fact that they debuted their Gen 14 in the heart of the pandemic/supply chain nightmare. At least Rams were up and running for a year and a half before the debacle. I wonder how much bigger Gen 14 would have been but for the pandemic. Obviously, relying primarily on custom orders that took months to fill ate significantly into sales.

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, those numbers are brutal. Ford sold more F150s in 2020 (last year of Gen 13) than the first year of Gen 14 for 2021. That has to be covid/supply chain issues.
Sponsored