Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
There's been some questions on new Vehicle price protection, with the delay on vehicles because of microchips and an increase in retail ordered vehicles because of the lack of dealer supply this has become a bigger issue.

I did some research on this and have a definitive answer on Ford's price protection policy.

Example:
Customer Orders a Lariat with $73,000 MSRP and agreed to selling price of $73,000 on 1/01/22.
Ford implements price increase on 02/15/22.
Dealer is invoiced for Lariat on 03/01/22 with a $75,000 MSRP.
Customer takes delivery on 03/31/22 with the $73,000 agreed to price.
Ford reimburses the selling dealership with an adjustment invoice on 05/15/22 automatically for price difference as long as it is sold to the customer who it was ordered for.

I have seen this happen a handful of times, but wasn't aware 100% of the process. This is done automatically and at the dealership level is something that isn't communicated all that well. I had to do some digging to find this policy. But if you have an agreed to price with your selling dealership on a retail order, they should honor that price. (I will say, that most dealerships will probably not be aware of this policy, I wasn't). Then Ford after processing the transaction and verifying that it was delivered to the customer who the car was ordered for will then send an adjustment invoice to the dealership reimbursing them for the price difference.

I have attached the Price protection policy here for your reference if your dealership isn't aware of the policy. The good news is that this is automatic and the dealership won't need to jump through any hoops to get it. The bad news is that most Ford's dealerships probably aren't aware. So don't think that they are crooks if they try to charge you the adjusted price, they most likely just aren't aware of the program. Just present this price protection flyer I have attached and I believe most store's will honor the price for you.

Again, the dealer has received an invoice for the full price. I'm sure most sales manager's are under the assumption their pricing has raised so they will pass it along and aren't aware of this program.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored

Attachments

athenslb57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150
Great info Zach. Thanks!

MTNMN

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (2022 F-150 King Ranch On Order)
Thats awesome!

Thanks Zach!

Do you know what the rule is for changing options/colours.

Any insight you could offer on that would be helpful for all of us.

If I wanted to add a package or options once my DORA is generated what will happen with pricing on it?

Porterinjax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum, 2021 Porsche Cayenne
Very much appreciated, although I hope I won't have to use it once my truck arrives

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thats awesome!

Thanks Zach!

Do you know what the rule is for changing options/colours.

Any insight you could offer on that would be helpful for all of us.

If I wanted to add a package or options once my DORA is generated what will happen with pricing on it?
I was told by Chip that changing trim or powertrain triggers a re-invoicing (price increase).

Don't do either of those two things and you're set.

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks! Great info.

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
What’s concerning to me is that Ford clearly hasn’t communicated this clearly enough to the dealerships, if y’all are having to dig to find it yourself. They should be sending out memos with each price increase reminding dealers of this policy. Considering they’re running incentives to get orders and are relying heavily on customer orders, it’s not going to be good PR if thousands of customers get hit with scam-sounding price increases after they had an agreed upon price. I mean, we know it’s not a scam because we know about this, but most customers won’t and they’re 100% going to think the dealer is being a scuzzwad.

Side note, but I thought putting the price level on the agreement was meant to solve this issue by indicating which price set the offer applied to; I guess that isn’t enough?

Anor4k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
I don't recall if what I signed when I placed my order had a price on it or not. I can tell you by the time I got my window sticker it was a few thousand higher than when I placed it... but not sure I have it in writing

Last edited:

NomadV

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum
Thanks for the info. My dealer said I would be price protected but I saved the flier just in case because ya never know if it may come in handy

Sponsored

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
I don't recall if what I signed what I placed my order had a price on it or not. I can tell you by the time I got my window sticker it was a few thousand higher than when I placed it... but not sure I have it in writing
My dealer gave me a copy of the signed sheet with the options I selected, the price and fees, and it has the order information including price level (225 I think?), priority number, known incentives, etc…, with the receipt from my deposit. Granted, I would have insisted anyway, but I appreciated that they didn’t need to be asked to give me a copy.

hamd1786

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Tacoma SR, 22 F-150 Lariat
Great info.

My dealer has been saying it’s price protected too. But they’ve been so confusing in telling me how Ford Motor Credit would factor in MSRP on the Sticker which is $60,950 vs $58,570 on the Dora

they agreed to4% under invoice which they said theyll

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
I was told by Chip that changing trim or powertrain triggers a re-invoicing (price increase).

Don't do either of those two things and you're set.

This is correct!

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
What’s concerning to me is that Ford clearly hasn’t communicated this clearly enough to the dealerships, if y’all are having to dig to find it yourself. They should be sending out memos with each price increase reminding dealers of this policy. Considering they’re running incentives to get orders and are relying heavily on customer orders, it’s not going to be good PR if thousands of customers get hit with scam-sounding price increases after they had an agreed upon price. I mean, we know it’s not a scam because we know about this, but most customers won’t and they’re 100% going to think the dealer is being a scuzzwad.

Side note, but I thought putting the price level on the agreement was meant to solve this issue by indicating which price set the offer applied to; I guess that isn’t enough?
Pricing level is mainly associated with what model year the order is, but this will help keep you and other buyers aware.

Anor4k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
What is required to qualify for price protection? I placed an order months ago, but price was not part of the conversation. I signed an order, but never placed a deposit. By the time I got a window sticker, there were several price hikes. If it was order verification is it protected based on order date?
Sponsored