Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Honestly I don't know. I do know Ford programs various features into the different DriverSelectModes. Some of which are baffling to me on the Powerboost specifically...... Sport Mode for example,..... Why no EV cruising? But I digress...

I think you may have discovered, or stumbled on another caveat that is similar? So regardless of DriverSelectModes, 4Low turns off Hybrid idling?

You have me really curious. I am an RV fulltimer and I have the Powerboost for obvious reasons. (it's been awesome for lost shore power) I think I might go experiment a little and at least confirm what you describe or possibly find it was an anomaly for you.

I'll be sure to report back.
Sponsored

wayne b

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB
Honestly I don't know. I do know Ford programs various features into the different DriverSelectModes. Some of which are baffling to me on the Powerboost specifically...... Sport Mode for example,..... Why no EV cruising? But I digress...

I think you may have discovered, or stumbled on another caveat that is similar? So regardless of DriverSelectModes, 4Low turns off Hybrid idling?

You have me really curious. I am an RV fulltimer and I have the Powerboost for obvious reasons. (it's been awesome for lost shore power) I think I might go experiment a little and at least confirm what you describe or possibly find it was an anomaly for you.

I'll be sure to report back.
Yeah I guess I should have tried to replicate it, but I'm guessing someone on here has much more experience with the 4L/4A/4H dial than I do and can offer some insight.

KDPGame02

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Software Development & Design
We just got back from a week of boondocking in the Great Smokies NP, and the PB performed flawlessly--I even saw an identical PB to mine. Compared to my 2015, it's much more comfortable, confident, and stable towing even when packed to within 100-200 lbs of it's payload capacity.

We ran the generator a LOT in the mornings and afternoons to charge up the trailer battery, run the AC, and all manner of other electronics, hair dryers, etc. We drove all over the park up and down a LOT of elevation, in and out of town, and it barely drank a half tank the whole week.

We were right beside a river, and the engine noise for the generator was imperceptible outside of the campsite. Our neighbor ran a 3500k genny pretty regularly, and I appreciated the minimal noise compared to his, the lack of managing gas cans, and overall ease of use.

If I had any nitpicks or suggestions, @Ford Motor Company might consider some future OTA feature requests:
  1. Have the ability to turn off the dash lighting, button lights, etc to avoid additional electric draw.
  2. Make it easy to turn on the truck for the genny, lock it up without the double honk when you take your keys out. Getting them out the back door works fine, but is just one step that could be avoided.
  3. Consider a feature request for a future OTA update to include a "boondocking" button that does all of the above with a single button push.
Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator SmokiesCampsiteJuly2022

Otherwise, this machine has fully exceeded our expectations for camping, towing, and even as a daily commuter vehicle.

Anthony Cavallaro

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Commercial Roof Project Manager
Thanks for your commentary KDP! It's appreciated!

wayne b

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB
If I had any nitpicks or suggestions, @Ford Motor Company might consider some future OTA feature requests:
  1. Have the ability to turn off the dash lighting, button lights, etc to avoid additional electric draw.
  2. Make it easy to turn on the truck for the genny, lock it up without the double honk when you take your keys out. Getting them out the back door works fine, but is just one step that could be avoided.
#2 is a big annoyance. In terms of people near you at a campground being annoyed, having the car double honk every time you get something is probably worse than the sound of it idling up a few times an hour. In terms of automation, my routine seems to be:
  • set the lights to off
  • turn off the audio
  • turn off AC (important)
  • click "yes" to power to outlet
  • click the screen button twice to turn off the screen.

Sponsored

Sbdavis1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 Lariat ordered 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Financial Planner, Lawyer
Double honk can easily be disabled in Forscan in about 3 minutes. Highly recommend.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not just highly recommended, but an absolute requirement for me to be willing to close the door during the sleep hours in a campground. I don't want to be that guy. :)

I joined the Forscan club years ago for that one feature, along with numerical coolant/tranny temps.

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150
Is there anyone in the Sacramento area that does forscan? Not really computer savvy but I am a general contractor and would possibly trade work for some work on my truck

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd do it for absolutely no other reason than you are an F150 kindred spirit. :)

But I'm nowhere even near your region of the country.

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150
I'd do it for absolutely no other reason than you are an F150 kindred spirit. :)

But I'm nowhere even near your region of the country.
I appreciate it. Wish we were closer

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Not just highly recommended, but an absolute requirement for me to be willing to close the door during the sleep hours in a campground. I don't want to be that guy. :)

I joined the Forscan club years ago for that one feature, along with numerical coolant/tranny temps.
I want to do this just to get those actual temps. I do not tow right now but probably will in the future and I cannot think of a better feature than the trans temp. I do not know why this is not just standard.

I want to wait until after I have 2.8.3 in the truck though as I do not want to mess anything up. I hope when I pick up my truck sometime in Sept that it is already updated when I get it. I think the ability to view the rearview camera while driving is critical and all trucks should come with a digital rearview mirror as standard. It is on many SUV's but not trucks?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This specific AsBuilt edit will not conflict with the OTA or any FDRS direct update. (display temps)

Waiting is OK, of course, but so far that specific edit has not been an issue. Just FYI

lawduck1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Powerboost XLT on order
We just got back from a week of boondocking in the Great Smokies NP, and the PB performed flawlessly--I even saw an identical PB to mine. Compared to my 2015, it's much more comfortable, confident, and stable towing even when packed to within 100-200 lbs of it's payload capacity.

We ran the generator a LOT in the mornings and afternoons to charge up the trailer battery, run the AC, and all manner of other electronics, hair dryers, etc. We drove all over the park up and down a LOT of elevation, in and out of town, and it barely drank a half tank the whole week.

We were right beside a river, and the engine noise for the generator was imperceptible outside of the campsite. Our neighbor ran a 3500k genny pretty regularly, and I appreciated the minimal noise compared to his, the lack of managing gas cans, and overall ease of use.

3. Consider a feature request for a future OTA update to include a "boondocking" button that does all of the above with a single button push.
SmokiesCampsiteJuly2022.jpg

Otherwise, this machine has fully exceeded our expectations for camping, towing, and even as a daily commuter vehicle.
OT, but that’s a beautiful campsite. What campground?

KDPGame02

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Software Development & Design
OT, but that’s a beautiful campsite. What campground?
Elkmont in the park itself on the TN side out of Gatlinburg. No hookups or amenities to speak of. I don't much care for KOAs that shoehorn you in next to each other. We like larger sites the state and national parks provide. And this truck makes it easier to boondock.

wayne b

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB
Just enjoyed a few days of using the PB while camping in Joshua Tree NP. Highs were 98-104F. Was using it for 1-2hours in the am to charge up, and then a few hours in the pm for AC. Longest we used it to power the AC (about 1800-2000watts) was about 3 hours and the engine fan was working hard and ... we overheated it, ProPower shut down and had to restart the car to get it to start up again. 1-2 hours of AC at 100F seemed OK.

We used the tailgate work surface as a prep station in tandem with pizza oven. Zone lighting was useful, though a bit too much (would be nice to set to 50%). Campground was fairly empty so wasn't bothering anyone nearby.

Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator IMG_9050

Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator IMG_9049

Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator IMG_9044

Ford F-150 Powering my RV with the PowerBoost 7.2K Pro Power Onboard Generator IMG_9052
Sponsored