• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powering house with Lightning

Bmarques

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Silverado, 2019 Porsche Macan, 1989 BMW
Hello All -

I’m really considering the f150 electric and had a question about powering house with it. Living in South Florida, I’m worried about losing power during hurricanes. I was considering installing a whole house generator($14,000) but if F150 could do it I would be better off using those funds to purchase F150. Does anyone know if it will handle powering HVAC units or high output items or just basic lights.
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Hello All -

I’m really considering the f150 electric and had a question about powering house with it. Living in South Florida, I’m worried about losing power during hurricanes. I was considering installing a whole house generator($14,000) but if F150 could do it I would be better off using those funds to purchase F150. Does anyone know if it will handle powering HVAC units or high output items or just basic lights.
The F-150L can provide 9.6 kW through a DC inverter when properly equipped. We don't know if the vehicle-to-home (V2H) capabilities will be available for all trims and battery pack sizes. Ford is apparently working with SunRun for install of the inverter system.

This is a pretty good overview of the power output capabilities of the vehicle: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-charging-generator-power/

Yardiewrx

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw m3 ford lightning 2022
Occupation
Radiologist
Hello All -

Hey man I'm in the same boat as you. I, myself live in south Florida and have the Lightning reserved. And one of the main reasons I'm getting it is because if the ability to power the house.

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
At first, I was a tad upset to learn that this truck would have the capability of powering a home only a couple of months after having my 22 KWh natural gas Generac installed. My electrician assures me, however, that the lightning would not be capable of powering my 4 ton AC in southeast LA (hurricane alley here as well). At 9.6 KWh, the lightning supplies only slightly more power than the 9 KWh portable gas generator I used to use to power my house during a storm. Like the lightning, that generator was able to power everything but my AC. Hope that helps.

ShawnWillis

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco 2014
Well, for what it's worth, I've just learned that it can light a whole house.

Sponsored

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
The F-150L can provide 9.6 kW through a DC inverter when properly equipped. We don't know if the vehicle-to-home (V2H) capabilities will be available for all trims and battery pack sizes. Ford is apparently working with SunRun for install of the inverter system.
Ford's infographic from their press site makes it clear that either battery will have the capability. The 80A EVSE will be required.

From Ford's own graphic, available on their press site. Note the bottom entry. Intelligent Backup Power… with the connection point for both the standard range and extended range models via the 80A EVSE.

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.23.11 AM.png
My electrician assures me, however, that the lightning would not be capable of powering my 4 ton AC in southeast LA (hurricane alley here as well).
This doesn't make sense. 4 ton AC at 16 SEER works out to a 3 kW load unless I got my math wrong. The vehicle can put out 9.6 kW so even with a surge at startup should be just fine.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Issue is start up power/current for A/C. A 4 ton running is between 3kw to 4kw. However, startup can pull 50 to 100 amps.

You also have the issue, regardless of A/C or not, how long can you run, and how far will you have to drive your truck to get it recharged, assuming power is out for days.

With 9kw, and judicious use (think like an RVer, don't run all appliances at the same time) and grabbing 1 or 2 small window A/C units (for the bedrooms), you are probably good for a few days (or more) But assuming widespread power outages, still have the finding a place to recharge problem.

If I lived in FL, think with a Lightning (or even PB) you could get by with investing in a less than $1000 gas generator and small window A/Cs and be pretty covered for 90% of the cases, and still save a bundle over larger whole house auto switch generator. (i.e. use the gas gen during most of the day, with truck handling window ACs, then lock gas gen up in garage, shut down, and use truck for night time load).

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
This doesn't make sense. 4 ton AC at 16 SEER works out to a 3 kW load unless I got my math wrong. The vehicle can put out 9.6 kW so even with a surge at startup should be just fine.
I'm certainly no electrician, and I could be wrong, but my neighbors and I have had a lot of experience with hurricane outages. Those of us running portable gas powered generators have never been able to pull the necessary starting amps for a whole house A/C. A window unit, sure, but not whole house. The generac dealer that installed mine a few months ago recommends 18-22 KWh systems for most of his customers.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Remember, we're buying a truck, not a Swiss Army Knife that is the best at everything.

No, this truck isn't going to replace an expensive powerful generator.

What it will do is become the first truck that can HELP when there is a power outage and offer attractive home charging options by charging during off peak hours and assist in alleviating the grid strain during peak power.

IMO, If you're looking for a Truck to power your house in ALL conditions buy an ICE and a pricey generator.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you're looking for your truck to power your house for any given length of time it must be plugged in and have a charge already. If you are going to rely on your truck as a generator then you are essentially committing to not driving it during the times you need a generator. I see this as a wow this is a cool secondary feature that I may use a couple times a year when I have a power outage, not as my sole backup plan. I will say, the power savings of recharging during off peak hours is really appealing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
Hello All -

You can have a natural gas powered generator installed for about $6k. What happens when you leave the house, there goes the power. It may be good for short term like camping.

OP
OP

Bmarques

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can have a natural gas powered generator installed for about $6k. What happens when you leave the house, there goes the power. It may be good for short term like camping.

OP
OP

Bmarques

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
6k?? The generac 24kw is 6k alone. With permits and installation cheapest I found it’s 14k.

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
6k?? The generac 24kw is 6k alone. With permits and installation cheapest I found it’s 14k.
Wow someone is making some great profit. As a builder we buy a 24k unit for under $5k and pay our electrician $800 and plumber $500 to run the gas line.

Dockingpin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Can I power home (grid-tied) only during a disruption? what about just normal day? I haven’t read anything that explicitly states that.
Sponsored