Sponsored

Powering a home from your PowerBoost Pro Power: simple fix for the In-house neutral-ground bond problem

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
There has been much hype and half truths put forward on this. There is a simple fix for the In-house neutral-ground bond problem, at least for some of us. You'll need to check your local electrical codes for this one to ensure this is legit in your area. In most breaker panels there wil be a "green screw." This is where the neutral ground bonding is done. Some places this is not true, for example in my neck of the woods the electric utility requires that bond to be done out at the meter box (& that screw is removed from the breaker panel), so this won't work for me. However, when you hookup your Powerboost generator to your house (& if allowed by local code) remove this screw from your panel. Thus the neutral ground bonding will only occur in your truck and it will operate just fine. Note that the earth ground will still be properly connected into your house and truck circuitry since the gound is continuous throughout the house and out into your truck, given that you did use 4 wire cabling, plugs, etc, as required by code (& including an interlock plate). Your truck will now only sense one neutral-ground bond and so will operate fine. Is it that simple? Well yeah, but do not forget to re-install this screw when coming off your truck's generator and going back onto the utility.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
There was a video I posted by an Electrical Engineer about the neutral ground bonding issue. Early in that video he highlights the "Green Screw." That's the one I'm speaking of. You may or may not have it in yourpanel. Depends on your local utility or code and where they require the bond. In my neck of the woods the utility requires that screw to be removed and the bonding done out in their meterbox. At any rate, the green screw in that video is the one I'm referring to.

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Note: If you can remove that "Green Screw" there is no need for a neutral shifting breaker. The Neutral-Ground bond in your house has been removed and your truck's will be the only one in the system. But: Use a four wire cable (2 hots, a neutral, and a ground wire) and an interlock plate (to protect the external utility people) and you're good to go.
Sponsored