Powered Subwoofer Suggestions

tardman91

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX
I just replaced all of my factory speakers yesterday on my ‘21 STX crew cab. Now I’m looking to add a small powered subwoofer to complete the upgrade. I’ve been eyeing the Kicker 118SH unit. Does anyone have it installed in their crew cab?
I’m also looking for other suggestions around $300 for a small powered sub. Bonus points if it fits behind the rear seat. I’m not trying to rattle the windows. Just want to feel the bass a little. I know there’s a Ford Kicker unit, and if it wasn’t like $700 I’d get that, but I’m too cheap.
Sponsored

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
I just replaced all of my factory speakers yesterday on my ‘21 STX crew cab. Now I’m looking to add a small powered subwoofer to complete the upgrade. I’ve been eyeing the Kicker 118SH unit. Does anyone have it installed in their crew cab?
I’m also looking for other suggestions around $300 for a small powered sub. Bonus points if it fits behind the rear seat. I’m not trying to rattle the windows. Just want to feel the bass a little. I know there’s a Ford Kicker unit, and if it wasn’t like $700 I’d get that, but I’m too cheap.
The ford one is def not worth $700.

OP
OP
tardman91

tardman91

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX
The ford one is def not worth $700.
Yeah. I haven’t compared the specs, but I think it’s basically the same as the $300 118SH, just in a box specifically designed to fit the space behind the seat, along with some ford-specific wiring. If I wanted to drop $700+ I’d go full custom. Not happening. I’m too old for that crap anymore. Haha.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Try the big brother, HS10

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
I have the HS10. It fits behind the rear left seat. It fills in the bass nicely for the size. The shop I went to installed an AudioControl line out LC7i behind the head unit to counteract the factory head unit's bass roll off. I am a happy camper with this setup.

Sponsored

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
Yeah. I haven’t compared the specs, but I think it’s basically the same as the $300 118SH, just in a box specifically designed to fit the space behind the seat, along with some ford-specific wiring. If I wanted to drop $700+ I’d go full custom. Not happening. I’m too old for that crap anymore. Haha.
My biggest complaint is that the amp makes the sub play too high.
There’s no crossover control.
Some music I have to turn bass up, and other music and news, I have to turn it way down.
I’m going to replace just the amp with one that gives me some knobs and maybe a remote gain control and see if I like it any better.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
some could be Ford EQing, they have bass rolloff so it doesn't damage the speaker.

dantheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT powerboost
I have the HS10. It fits behind the rear left seat. It fills in the bass nicely for the size. The shop I went to installed an AudioControl line out LC7i behind the head unit to counteract the factory head unit's bass roll off. I am a happy camper with this setup.
I am looking for something to go behind the back seat as I use the underseat storage all the time. Can you post a photo?

Sponsored

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
Yes I have aftermarket speakers in the doors which are powered by the 4 channel Rockfordfosgate amp. The Kicker HS10 is completely self contained and powered if that was all you wanted to run.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Yes that will take high level in, so dont need an LOC, but an LC7i will flatten the EQ curve the factory installs, known as bass rolloff. so you can boost with the powered sub and get all the bass freq you want.
If you want both all in one, this will do the same as an LOC, and will flatten the EQ.
https://www.kicker.com/keyloc-smart-line-out-converter

Plus, it will tell you what wire you connect into into a harness

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
I read in a different forum that you can Forscan the head unit to maintain a flat EQ, at least in the Gen13 trucks. True with ours? I bought the cable and software to changeout my mirrors (to tow mirrors) so I'm all set there. I'll start scouring the Forscan thread/spreadsheet...

I don't want a ton more bass, just lower frequency response vs the stockers. Think I'd be in <$350 installed with that Cerwin Vega thing above. Or maybe just drop another $100 for the Kicker. I'll continue my research...
Sponsored