Sponsored

Powerboost wouldn’t start today

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Howdy y'all - this happened to me [again] this week. I've been mostly diligent about running with the HVAC at 5+; letting it idle with ICE then shutting it down when it goes to electric. I say mostly because, I can't say I'm always consistent but let's say 8+ of 10 drives (depends on what is happening with work, family, etc). For me, it seemed that my 14v SoC was low [see attached that I captured when it wouldn't start]. After about ~25 min, it got happy and went to Ready.
Hrm, do you try remote starting it or button only? Curious if it affects trucks with power running boards that are retracting when trying to start causing a voltage droop.

25 amps on the under-hood, a couple more from the rear one and 11.9v is poo.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Those running boards do put a wammy on the static voltage of the battery, that takes several min to recover.

Walter Townsend

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Off Road Fishing Edition 5.0
Occupation
Owner Operator Starlight Tool Services Ltd Millwright/Welder/Machinist/Electronics tech
In IT, anytime there is a software bug that impacts a software program (or starting at truck) we call that a Feature. This "Feature" is called "Piss the driver off". I'm surprise FORD didn't show this feature off in their 2024 F-150 show... :geek: Just a little humor.... I bet FORD hopes this software issue gets fixed fast. OTA by end of the year is a long ways off when people have new trucks that don't start.....

Cost me a small fortune to get out of my Power boost lease cause it had "ticked me off" so much being unreliable and I could not wait for Ford to figure it out sometime in the future.

DrBST

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3.5L PowerBoost
Hrm, do you try remote starting it or button only? Curious if it affects trucks with power running boards that are retracting when trying to start causing a voltage droop.

25 amps on the under-hood, a couple more from the rear one and 11.9v is poo.
It was button only; I did not attempt remote start. Didn't think of it - I will next time ('cause I expect there will be one)

@Snakebitten : irony abounds as mi esposa was super keen on the power running boards when looking at options (and happy spouse, happy house - unless the truck don't start).

@turbopilot: apologies, but I don't know what you mean by "two step start"

... and thanks for the replies; this is how we learn.

-Brian

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2-step is to NOT hold down the brake pedal, but rather intentionally putting it in accessory mode.

This turns on the DC/DC converter, which is the alternator on a Powerboost.

After a couple of moments, the 12V system in the truck is fully functional and getting healthy current, regardless of the state of the 12V batteries.

Now perform the second step of starting the truck by pushing the brake and hitting the start button a second time.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
2-step is to NOT hold down the brake pedal, but rather intentionally putting it in accessory mode.

After a couple of moments, the 12V system in the truck is fully functional and getting healthy current, regardless of the state of the 12V batteries.

Now perform the second step of starting the truck by pushing the brake and hitting the start button a second time.
Do keep in mind though, ya need to be above the HVB floor for the DCDC to turn else it's AGM munching time. They should have programmed that better as well as set the accessory floor for the HVB lower. Kinda makes me a little irked they're such naughtzees about that threshold.

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
In IT, anytime there is a software bug that impacts a software program (or starting at truck) we call that a Feature.....

Let me fix that for you:

....Anytime there is a software bug marketing calls it a feature while IT tries to figure out what error code or perimeter they were never told about....

Here, this should help make IT and engineerings life perfectly clear:
The Expert (Short Comedy Sketch) - YouTube

DrBST

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3.5L PowerBoost

Got it. Thanks @Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You are more than welcome, but HammaMan makes a very important point......

When you arrive at your destination, and you put the truck in Park, push your accelerator for a brief second and the ICE will start. The truck will idle until the HV battery reaches a high SOC before it shuts off.

Then shut the truck down.

This will ensure there is lots of "alternator" current available for step1 of your next start up.

Ahhhh the nuances of this crazy and wondrous ensemble of technology. It's got its fair share of quirks (thank you Ford), but I'm still thrilled someone was bold enough to build it!
Perhaps some other manufacturer would have done a better job with their first efforts? But where is it? I'd love to see someone step up to the plate. This is year 4 coming up, by the way.

Jaxon

First Name
JAX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Limited 2019 Mustang GT
Occupation
About to Retire - Gone Fishing
OBDLink MX+

I agree wholeheartedly! Like any other computer, sometimes they need a reboot. I just wish there was a “short cut” to avoid a 20 or more minute wait.
For me, battery was not charging adequately per dealer diagnostic printout. Related to Full Accessory freezing or coincidence? It did get me a new battery.
Brand New Truck 2023 F150 Limited Powerboost, received “Stop Safely Now” and “Full Accessory Power Active” messages when trying to start the truck. It would not start, Played with everything for a while, climbed out locked the truck, tried remote start with fob- nothing, tried remote start with Ford Pass – Nothing. The truck has 202 miles on it, drove it yesterday in a climate that is 60s at night, high 80s during the day so not thinking this is an environmental influence. That leaves what? A Software Updated needed, a component change or even a factory update on assembly procedure?

Is there a fix? Why has Ford not provided a solution? It is either a component or software as the environment does not see to play into this fault.

I see this has happen to many other owners across the country and in some cases with very low miles and other cases significant miles. Is the solution to walk away for 30 mins come back and try it again?

Base on the below, if accurate, we may be seeing and update in the coming months.

Posted on reddit 14 days ago

FORD Service Bulletin SSM 51822 2023 F150 FHEV- Intermittent No Start And Stop Safely Now Message Displayed With Possible DTCs U0293 And P1A43 In The Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) Some 2023 F150 hybrid vehicles may exhibit an intermittent no start and Stop Safely Now message displayed in the instrument panel cluster and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) U0293 and/or P1A43 in the BECM or in connected vehicle data. A Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software concern may be triggering the no start condition. Replacement or reprogramming of the BECM or PCM is not recommended for this condition at this time. This does not affect vehicle durability and no additional diagnosis or service is required for this condition at this time. Inform customers that the vehicle will start after leaving it off temporarily. Engineering is currently working on a solution for this condition that is expected in Q4 2023. Monitor OASIS for additional information.

Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Brand New Truck 2023 F150 Limited Powerboost, received “Stop Safely Now” and “Full Accessory Power Active” messages when trying to start the truck. It would not start, Played with everything for a while, climbed out locked the truck, tried remote start with fob- nothing, tried remote start with Ford Pass – Nothing. The truck has 202 miles on it, drove it yesterday in a climate that is 60s at night, high 80s during the day so not thinking this is an environmental influence. That leaves what? A Software Updated needed, a component change or even a factory update on assembly procedure?

Is there a fix? Why has Ford not provided a solution? It is either a component or software as the environment does not see to play into this fault.

I see this has happen to many other owners across the country and in some cases with very low miles and other cases significant miles. Is the solution to walk away for 30 mins come back and try it again?

Base on the below, if accurate, we may be seeing and update in the coming months.

Posted on reddit 14 days ago

FORD Service Bulletin SSM 51822 2023 F150 FHEV- Intermittent No Start And Stop Safely Now Message Displayed With Possible DTCs U0293 And P1A43 In The Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) Some 2023 F150 hybrid vehicles may exhibit an intermittent no start and Stop Safely Now message displayed in the instrument panel cluster and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) U0293 and/or P1A43 in the BECM or in connected vehicle data. A Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software concern may be triggering the no start condition. Replacement or reprogramming of the BECM or PCM is not recommended for this condition at this time. This does not affect vehicle durability and no additional diagnosis or service is required for this condition at this time. Inform customers that the vehicle will start after leaving it off temporarily. Engineering is currently working on a solution for this condition that is expected in Q4 2023. Monitor OASIS for additional information.
Has there been a date range established yet, like the axle bolts, or the new OEM, bad batts?

Mine was made the first week of May 03.

I've never had anything more scary than the deep sleep mode alert on Ford Pass and the truck started fine both times.

Out of an abundance of caution, I have given it 2 maintenance charges and I often but not always, let the ICE cycle before shutting it off. Same with fan speed 5+. Often but not always. Never tried, or felt the need to do the 2 step start.

Most of my trips are 8 miles and frequently are a week apart. So, a good candidate for problems. I do try to be mindful about unnecessarily waking it up but not like I'm freaked out about it.

I haven't checked in a while but if it has had any OTAs, they must have gone through without issues.

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Perhaps some other manufacturer would have done a better job with their first efforts? But where is it? I'd love to see someone step up to the plate. This is year 4 coming up, by the way.
Just for color:

My sons Pacifica PHEV, now three years old, has had exactly zero issues. My neighbors Accord Hybrids? They have two, both flawless. A friends wife CRV Hybrid? Ditto. Mother-in-laws Subbie Crosstrek? Nothing.

Not like hybrids are new things - The Ford Fusion hybrid came out in 2009 as a 2010 model.

The F-150 is well into year 3 right now and they still have SSN problems? I don't know of ANY other manufacture that would have, much less has, allowed that.

(yea, I know I just sounded like a hater but damn ford, you should really be ashamed about this)

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ummmm, the Powerboost doesn't say Hybrid on it anywhere.
And it's true that you CAN compare a 5500lb ~600ftlb rolling PowerGrid to a Prius. 😉

But I don't. 😁

And I know I am well known as a fan boy, but my Powerboost(S) have been just as reliable as that distinguished list you shared. (so far)

charmai101

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Every time I read a post about people's PB with SSN issue, I feel angry at Ford. I'm looking to start a class action lawsuit again Ford. I'm fed up!

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yea, I'm don't mean to fan flames. I'm just trying to learn. I'm also just so shocked (yea, I know) at how today's Ford is acting. I really want the PB and the inverter, but damn man. I may have to walk away from what I want and do something smarter.

I am surprised NHTSA hasn't had Ford for lunch. SSN is a no-question-about-it safety problem for folks in truly cold places.

Snake: I would bet we both know torque converter replacement as hybrid drive is relatively common across the industry. Nor are we talking about lots of power here. These aren't big motors or batteries. Granted I got no idea why Ford isn't getting this fixed. It sort of feels like customer apathy to me though.

The Prius? Aren't I correct it saying it has much bigger batteries, a larger generator motor, AND a more powerful drive motor than PB?

Ford F-150 Powerboost wouldn’t start today 1694790314655

Mind you that's mostly in jest, for I most certainly respect both your knowledge and your time commitment to this forum. Still, giving Ford a pass thinking they are doing anything difficult relative to hybrid engineering is a stretch. In the conversation of "will vs skill" I read this as a will shortcoming.

Oh well. More learning to be done.

Thanks all!
Sponsored