OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid
In your cluster, put it on EV coach. When you apply the brakes, is the "CHARGING" text white or green? If it's white, the regenerative braking has not kicked in yet. About a second before the
In your cluster, put it on EV coach. When you apply the brakes, is the "CHARGING" text white or green? If it's white, the regenerative braking has not kicked in yet. About a second before the text goes green, you'll feel a small thud, almost like a downshift. That's the generator engaging and then the text will change afterwards. If it kicks out just before the text goes green, then it's the regenerative braking. Whether there's a problem or if they need to adjust the calibration for slippery surfaces, it's hard to say, but in 4WD that load would be transferred to all wheels, versus only the rears in 2WD.
Yes, it is green for alittle bit charging and then it wants to slide during that function.
In your cluster, put it on EV coach. When you apply the brakes, is the "CHARGING" text white or green? If it's white, the regenerative braking has not kicked in yet. About a second before the text goes green, you'll feel a small thud, almost like a downshift. That's the generator engaging and then the text will change afterwards. If it kicks out just before the text goes green, then it's the regenerative braking. Whether there's a problem or if they need to adjust the calibration for slippery surfaces, it's hard to say, but in 4WD that load would be transferred to all wheels, versus only the rears in 2WD.
Yes, it is definitely the regen braking. It's the lack of traction between the rear wheels and the drag of the regen motors. EV coach is definitely in charging mode, as it takes a few seconds while under light braking before any rear end sliding.

It's like the rear wheels are trying to build grip, (roll smoothly like on normal road conditions) but due to slippery conditions, end up sliding because of the drag of the regen function.
I have a 4 minute video that shows alot more than just the short clip above.
Snowing again today, maybe we will get some answers.
Thank you for your ideas it helps alot.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unixadm,
Here is another short clip of exactly what you said. It's when it switches to charging that there is a significant increase in grab I would say. Then the rear will slide out.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
Yes, it is green for alittle bit charging and then it wants to slide during that function.

Yes, it is definitely the regen braking. It's the lack of traction between the rear wheels and the drag of the regen motors. EV coach is definitely in charging mode, as it takes a few seconds while under light braking before any rear end sliding.

It's like the rear wheels are trying to build grip, (roll smoothly like on normal road conditions) but due to slippery conditions, end up sliding because of the drag of the regen function.
I have a 4 minute video that shows alot more than just the short clip above.
Snowing again today, maybe we will get some answers.
Thank you for your ideas it helps alot.
Unixadm,
Here is another short clip of exactly what you said. It's when it switches to charging that there is a significant increase in grab I would say. Then the rear will slide out.
According to your cluster, the truck is in 2WD correct? I'd certainly share what you have with Ford to determine if they can do something from a calibration standpoint. This is still a new powertrain in the scope of things, so updated calibrations will certainly be under development with Ford to address anything from trouble codes to drivability concerns. It's difficult to say if they can soften the application of regenerative braking. I know in the dry it's noticeable to feel that thud when the generator engages.

OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
According to your cluster, the truck is in 2WD correct? I'd certainly share what you have with Ford to determine if they can do something from a calibration standpoint. This is still a new powertrain in the scope of things, so updated calibrations will certainly be under development with Ford to address anything from trouble codes to drivability concerns. It's difficult to say if they can soften the application of regenerative braking. I know in the dry it's noticeable to feel that thud when the generator engages.
yes, only in 2wd modes. 4wd has no problems that I can see or feel.
I am sharing all of this with Ford Dealer and they are letting Ford engineering know as well.

It has triggered no codes at this time. 1000 miles on the truck so still learning this system.

The Braking system as a whole is new, from what I understand. Something about electric brakes or maybe electric/hydraulic?

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The system likely delays hydraulic engagement or reduces hydraulic engagement when the generator engages. Coasting and allowing the generator to engage at a higher speed, then modulating the brakes so that it doesn't kick out of regenerative braking would likely help your situation. I'd suggest turning on the brake coach in the cluster just so it reports back your braking efficiency. Closer to 100% would likely yield smoother results for you. It only reports if you come to a complete stop though. Obviously, many driving situations don't allow for perfect brake application.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The system likely delays hydraulic engagement or reduces hydraulic engagement when the generator engages. Coasting and allowing the generator to engage at a higher speed, then modulating the brakes so that it doesn't kick out of regenerative braking would likely help your situation. I'd suggest turning on the brake coach in the cluster just so it reports back your braking efficiency. Closer to 100% would likely yield smoother results for you. It only reports if you come to a complete stop though. Obviously, many driving situations don't allow for perfect brake application.
The Brake coach is also part of the Videos I have. The problem appears when I am very gentle and get 99 or 100 percent back, that is when they grab and there is an issue.
When I brake more aggressive, there is no problem and the brakes work fine.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Brake coach is also part of the Videos I have. The problem appears when I am very gentle and get 99 or 100 percent back, that is when they grab and there is an issue.
When I brake more aggressive, there is no problem and the brakes work fine.
That's because the generator doesn't engage during hard braking, so all four weeks are braking the truck, versus a rear bias when regenerative braking is doing most of the work in 2WD. In 4WD that would be spread fore and aft, thus why you don't experience the kick out. In one of your videos it went to regen braking, then out of regen braking and then as you slowed down and reduced brake pressure, it reengaged regenerative braking. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to keep it in full regen all the time by letting off the throttle, seeing the CHARGING indicator in green and then more lightly applying the brakes. Or keep the truck in 4A or 4WD all the time to prevent this. There is certainly a trick to driving this truck.

OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's because the generator doesn't engage during hard braking, so all four weeks are braking the truck, versus a rear bias when regenerative braking is doing most of the work in 2WD. In 4WD that would be spread fore and aft, thus why you don't experience the kick out. In one of your videos it went to regen braking, then out of regen braking and then as you slowed down and reduced brake pressure, it reengaged regenerative braking. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to keep it in full regen all the time by letting off the throttle, seeing the CHARGING indicator in green and then more lightly applying the brakes. Or keep the truck in 4A or 4WD all the time to prevent this. There is certainly a trick to driving
That's because the generator doesn't engage during hard braking, so all four weeks are braking the truck, versus a rear bias when regenerative braking is doing most of the work in 2WD. In 4WD that would be spread fore and aft, thus why you don't experience the kick out. In one of your videos it went to regen braking, then out of regen braking and then as you slowed down and reduced brake pressure, it reengaged regenerative braking. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to keep it in full regen all the time by letting off the throttle, seeing the CHARGING indicator in green and then more lightly applying the brakes. Or keep the truck in 4A or 4WD all the time to prevent this. There is certainly a trick to driving this truck.
Yes, that is a temporary fix. But it is not an answer. I am sure that Ford will figure it out in the coming weeks.

I will keep you posted on things.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, that is a temporary fix. But it is not an answer. I am sure that Ford will figure it out in the coming weeks.

I will keep you posted on things.
Have you tried driving in the slippery drive mode?

mmalaski88

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost, 2012 Mustang GT
Occupation
Retail
It's odd how your truck switched to regen braking only at the end. According to the manual when the CHARGE is Green it is regenerative braking only, and White when its conventional and regen combined.

Even when I'm within the green box for braking, my CHARGE normally shows as White. I can keep in in between the line and it shows White the whole time and the brake coach will tell me 95% or more energy returned.

The only time I seem to get Green is when I'm slowly coasting and braking.

Unless I'm completely misreading the manual...

Ford F-150 Powerboost Winter driving and handling characteristics IMG_1677

Sponsored

OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's odd how your truck switched to regen braking only at the end. According to the manual when the CHARGE is Green it is regenerative braking only, and White when its conventional and regen combined.

Even when I'm within the green box for braking, my CHARGE normally shows as White. I can keep in in between the line and it shows White the whole time and the brake coach will tell me 95% or more energy returned.

The only time I seem to get Green is when I'm slowly coasting and braking.

Unless I'm completely misreading the manual...

IMG_1677.jpg
Ya that is different. It's that slow and coasting braking that seems to be the issue.
Even though I am braking, the regen only happens after a few seconds of light braking or when it hits between 50-40 kms/hr at least in these videos and this test. It is at that point, the braking feel seems to significantly increase, and when on snow and ice the rear end slides but it is fine on dry or wet pavement.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, I went to the dealer today as they wanted to follow up with me on this matter. The videos I have sent were very helpful and were uploaded to the Ford hotline. They tried to duplicate the issues today but the roads were clear. Ford engineering called the dealer and won't release my truck, they have some specific tests that they want them to run tomorrow. Apparently, my videos are pointing in a direction they can look into.
I should know more tomorrow night.

OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford is still working on it. They won't release the vehicle until they figure it out.

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
Glad they are working on it and see what they come up with!
Sponsored