First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, hard to imagine they didn't encounter this behavior in winter testing at some point. It would be nice if they update the program, and there are probably ways they could do that, perhaps simply adding a temperature reading to the program logic that says under 35 degrees F use all hydraulic braking.

What I cannot reconcile how to fix is the parasitic drag of the drivetrain is pretty constant, unless the regen algorithm is actually downshifting, which in that case, they could program the trans not to downshift to maximize regen under 35 degrees or something.

But again, seems like smart vehicle dynamics engineers would have had this covered during winter testing...
Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
What I cannot reconcile how to fix is the parasitic drag of the drivetrain is pretty constant, unless the regen algorithm is actually downshifting, which in that case, they could program the trans not to downshift to maximize regen under 35 degrees or something.
Not sure if this is what you were asking but I think the motor (or generator under regen) is clutched in/out of engagement, so the regen force is controlled by whether its engaged or not, the drivetrain drag would in all other ways be like a normal vehicle.

OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid
Not sure if this is what you were asking but I think the motor (or generator under regen) is clutched in/out of engagement, so the regen force is controlled by whether its engaged or not, the drivetrain drag would in all other ways be like a normal vehicle.
Thanks Chris993.
I would bet that it is clutched in or out someway. That would make sense as to why it is working in Slippery mode and the other 4wd modes.

I will let you know what I find out tomorrow. Definitely have been impressed with the investigation that the dealer and Ford is putting in.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I had forgotten about the clutch, but that does make sense. I was thinking about stepping up the RPM of entire drivetrain, and thus the drag or braking force, by downshifting the transmission the same way you would coming down a long grade. But clutching the generator/motor in and out would certainly add or remove resistance too. And controlling that clutch is surely a part of that hand-off between regen and hydraulic brakes.

OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Welp, I picked up my truck and unfortunately, they have no idea what it could be.

There was not enough snow to cover the roads or ice for testing of the issue. They asked me to bring it back next time it is snowing and we will try again. There is an open log in at Ford engineering, about the experience and what happened for future reference.

I asked if it would maybe go away as the motors break-in on the regen side of the system. That could be a possibility was an answer, but they want to make sure that it's not going to show up again some time.

I am very impressed with the service and investigation that the dealership has taken part in on this matter.

I will keep you updated. Maybe someone else will also find it a problem with thier Hybrid and they can use the information already in the system to help diagnose the problem.

Cheers

Sponsored

OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was able to test the situation today and have been able to get some video of the truck wanting to slid out under breaking.
It is too big to post here but I will try and make a link some other way to view it. I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning again as it is supposed to snow again. But I now have video of the actual problem happening over and over.

Maybe I can Edit the video to a short one.

Obviously with the radio off, I can clearly hear this clicking, but it does not appear to be part of the abs on the brakes as I can't feel it in the peddle, like you can when you actually get on the brakes and have the abs go off. maybe it is the clutch on the regen motors? ?.
I will try to add it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very short but you get the idea of what is going on.

Last edited:

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Try this. Let me know what you think.
Yeah that doesn’t seem right at all! I drive a lot on snow and ice and have never had that happen on the regular on my 13 F-150 on 2wd, 4H or 4A.

OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah that doesn’t seem right at all! I drive a lot on snow and ice and have never had that happen on the regular on my 13 F-150 on 2wd, 4H or 4A.
Ya there is something going on with it, I have never had this problem before either. Today the rear wheels were sliding under light braking on sand covered pavement. It definitely has to do with the grip between the rear wheels and the road in 2wd. It is absolutely perfect on dry or wet payment and then this happens on snow and ice.

This should help them figure it out pretty quick as the full video covers alot more information.
I will let everyone know as soon as I do.
Honestly, this truck is just awesome, this problem is being addressed so I am not worried about it. I really don't have to many complaints about this vehicle. I would highly recommend it to anyone. It's that good.

Sponsored

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
Having a Powerboost on order, and as someone who regularly drives in snow, I certainly hope the regen braking is not a safety hazard. This is a photo I took just today driving on the TransCanada highway east of Revelstoke. This is part of THE main highway across Canada! Having the rear wheels accidentally lock up to charge the battery in these conditions would be very dangerous.

Ford F-150 Powerboost Winter driving and handling characteristics 140646E5-E533-499F-A365-4833D12625B3

Last edited:
OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Having a Powerboost on order, and as someone who regularly drives in snow, I certainly hope the regen braking is not a safety hazard. This is a photo I took just today driving on the TransCanada highway east of Revelstoke. This is part of THE main highway across Canada! Having the rear wheels accidentally lock up to charge the battery in these conditions would be very dangerous.

140646E5-E533-499F-A365-4833D12625B3.jpeg
Honestly, I suspect that it will be fixed. My complaint is the only one that I have heard of. Maybe it is just my truck. It is a non issue in 4wd, only in 2wd.
I have just 1000 miles/ 1600 km's on the truck and it has been absolutely amazing.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Honestly, I suspect that it will be fixed. My complaint is the only one that I have heard of. Maybe it is just my truck. It is a non issue in 4wd, only in 2wd.
I have just 1000 miles/ 1600 km's on the truck and it has been absolutely amazing.
What does it do in 4A? I've had mine for less than a week and in metro Detroit area (north end of Lake St Clair) the roads get cleared rapidly. And, I'm retired so if it's snowing hard, I just don't go out.

OP
OP

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What does it do in 4A? I've had mine for less than a week and in metro Detroit area (north end of Lake St Clair) the roads get cleared rapidly. And, I'm retired so if it's snowing hard, I just don't go out.
No issues with it in 4A either. Just all 2wd modes it appears.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
In your cluster, put it on EV coach. When you apply the brakes, is the "CHARGING" text white or green? If it's white, the regenerative braking has not kicked in yet. About a second before the text goes green, you'll feel a small thud, almost like a downshift. That's the generator engaging and then the text will change afterwards. If it kicks out just before the text goes green, then it's the regenerative braking. Whether there's a problem or if they need to adjust the calibration for slippery surfaces, it's hard to say, but in 4WD that load would be transferred to all wheels, versus only the rears in 2WD.
Sponsored