Powerboost whistle?

Alkahmist

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 platinum with powerboost, 701a

So the sound does not pick up that well on a iPhone mic, but if you listen close , about 10 sec in when I hit about 30mph, you will hear the high pitch noise. Again, sound is louder in person, hopefully you guys can hear it and I don’t end up looking crazy
Sponsored

jerryrenaud

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Its not powerboost related my 2.7 does the same thing loudest 4th to 5th gear diminishes 5th-6th-7th gone 8-10 gear.
Only happens before the engine/ transmission are at full temp. I haven’t taken it in as I don’t want to be without a vehicle for 1-52 weeks.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Its not powerboost related my 2.7 does the same thing loudest 4th to 5th gear diminishes 5th-6th-7th gone 8-10 gear.
Only happens before the engine/ transmission are at full temp. I haven’t taken it in as I don’t want to be without a vehicle for 1-52 weeks.
Hi there, Gerald. This doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have with your F-150. Will you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership information? I can look into things on my end!

jerryrenaud

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Id rather you just make it correctly the first time. Ill be to the dealership when it explodes don’t worry

jerryrenaud

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150

So the sound does not pick up that well on a iPhone mic, but if you listen close , about 10 sec in when I hit about 30mph, you will hear the high pitch noise. Again, sound is louder in person, hopefully you guys can hear it and I don’t end up looking crazy
You figure anything out?

Sponsored

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
My “whine” on my 21 PB Lariat has been deemed a “characteristic” of the PB. I just brought it in last week for this and shudder. While I am pleased that the shudder is gone, I am not buying that the obnoxious whine is normal, especially when it wasn’t there when the truck was brand new. This is a copout on Ford’s part and unacceptable. What Ford needs to understand is that it is characteristic of the consumer to discontinue buying their product when they peddle defects as normal. This is my 4th F150 since 2015 and likely my last. Ford that is about a quarter million dollars if you care to keep score. I totally love the truck, but I find it very hard to look the other way for something that is so obviously not right.

Alkahmist

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 platinum with powerboost, 701a
You figure anything out?
Nope- they contacted me and opened a ticket, when I said I haven’t taken it to a dealership due to not wasting my time seeing others in here do that and end up with nothing, they closed my ticket.

amatofilms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost

Identical to my issue. Driving me NUTS. Still no answers from Ford. I'm also wondering if its platinum related since mine is one as well with a B&O unleashed.

jerryrenaud

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Nope- they contacted me and opened a ticket, when I said I haven’t taken it to a dealership due to not wasting my time seeing others in here do that and end up with nothing, they closed my ticket.
Gotcha, mine seems to only do it when the temperature falls below 70degrees and before the truck is warmed up completely. Heard it last winter/spring, summer it was silent. Now its back.

amatofilms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
Gotcha, mine seems to only do it when the temperature falls below 70degrees and before the truck is warmed up completely. Heard it last winter/spring, summer it was silent. Now its back.
Haven't gotten a full winter with mine yet but it has been screaming all summer in the heat.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

This sound EXACTLY like the bypass diverter valve whistle from my 20 Ranger. It would make the same noise all the time at light throttle. So much so that I found out it was the diverter valve so I replaced the OEM valve for a GFB valve. Never had the issue after that. Not sure how the DV is designed on the 3.5 Eco but basically what happens is the valve sticks open a tiny tiny bit and as boost pressure starts to build it causes it to whistle. This is also a common issue on many aftermarket BOV's.

Edit:

I looked it up and the 3.5 Eco uses a very similar valve actuator as the 2.3 eco.

FL3Z-9U465-A

Ford F-150 Powerboost whistle? b5e0b05d0c477babdaa3b2d90026fa6d

Might be able to pull this out and take a look at all the moving parts. I'd be willing to bed it's this piece of crap causing it. These cheap eBOV's stick like crazy. My VW GTI used a similar design as well and it would also stick..

On the Ranger you pulled the plunger assembly out and replaced it with the GFB valve assembly and kept the solenoid in place. The GBF unit is designed in such a way they no matter how much boost the turbos developed it would remain closed and wouldn't stick.

Last edited:

amatofilms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
This sound EXACTLY like the bypass diverter valve whistle from my 20 Ranger. It would make the same noise all the time at light throttle. So much so that I found out it was the diverter valve so I replaced the OEM valve for a GFB valve. Never had the issue after that. Not sure how the DV is designed on the 3.5 Eco but basically what happens is the valve sticks open a tiny tiny bit and as boost pressure starts to build it causes it to whistle. This is also a common issue on many aftermarket BOV's.

Edit:

I looked it up and the 3.5 Eco uses a very similar valve actuator as the 2.3 eco.

FL3Z-9U465-A

b5e0b05d0c477babdaa3b2d90026fa6d.jpg

Might be able to pull this out and take a look at all the moving parts. I'd be willing to bed it's this piece of crap causing it.
Unfortunately the truck does it in full electric as well with the engine off.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
If no one's done it yet, the best option at this point is to have someone with PB that is doing it and have a friend drive next to them and see if they can tell about where on the truck the sound is coming from to narrow it down.

jmh686

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost, BAP, 502A
Hey @Ford Motor Company what's the service level agreement on your customer service cases? I've sent a few follow-ups and no response. Case #CAS-38482144-W1B6M9 if it helps.
Sponsored