First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Sales
My F-150 is doing the exact same thing. There is a whistle coming from the driver footwell that gets louder with the gear getting closer to changing. It does it on both acceleration and deceleration. It was not there for the first 800-900 miles and now seems to be getting louder and louder. It is not the electric motor or the backup alarm. This is clearly a whistle coming from the transmission. Dealer was no help at all. I think I’ll try to find a way to lift the rear end so I can get the truck to go through gears so I can try to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. The whistle is driving me crazy and making me not want the truck anymore!
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My F-150 is doing the exact same thing. There is a whistle coming from the driver footwell that gets louder with the gear getting closer to changing. It does it on both acceleration and deceleration. It was not there for the first 800-900 miles and now seems to be getting louder and louder. It is not the electric motor or the backup alarm. This is clearly a whistle coming from the transmission. Dealer was no help at all. I think I’ll try to find a way to lift the rear end so I can get the truck to go through gears so I can try to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. The whistle is driving me crazy and making me not want the truck anymore!
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

jmh686

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost, BAP, 502A
@Ford Motor Company I'm having the same issue. I've taken my 22 F150 Lariat Powerboost to 2 dealerships - both confirm the noise, both confirm that it doesn't sound normal, neither can identify the origin. The second dealership I took the truck to had 2 other hybrids in at the same time with the same complaint. To me, it almost sounds like electrical interference with a speaker. Loudest between 1.5 and 2k RPMs, ramps up with gear shift, road noise drowns it out (mostly) by ~40mph.

I also noticed that using Sirius produces even more whistle, while Bluetooth/CarPlay audio does not. Doubt they are related, but equally annoying.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
One thing to point out is the Ford's factory diverter valves are notorious for sticking and generating a whistling sound when under light to moderate boost. It is not like a turbo whistle or electric motor sound. It's a loudish shrill type whistle. The diverter in the Ranger did it ALL the time until I replaced it with the GFB diverter. Depending on what version the 3.5L is equipped with and it is that causing it mind you, you may be able to pull it off and lubricate the piston assembly. This will prevent it from sticking and creating the whistling sound.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
@Ford Motor Company I'm having the same issue. I've taken my 22 F150 Lariat Powerboost to 2 dealerships - both confirm the noise, both confirm that it doesn't sound normal, neither can identify the origin. The second dealership I took the truck to had 2 other hybrids in at the same time with the same complaint. To me, it almost sounds like electrical interference with a speaker. Loudest between 1.5 and 2k RPMs, ramps up with gear shift, road noise drowns it out (mostly) by ~40mph.

I also noticed that using Sirius produces even more whistle, while Bluetooth/CarPlay audio does not. Doubt they are related, but equally annoying.
Hey there. I can look into your F-150’s noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

Sponsored

Alkahmist

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 platinum with powerboost, 701a
I have same issue, drives me nuts. As long as I have music on, I can’t hear it. Anytime someone calls me or with no music , the whistles/whining kicks up , from what I can tell is driver side. When I roll down , there’s too much wind noise so I can’t hear anymore. I find I notice it more at lower speeds , wether I’m accelerating or breaking. Hope someone finds a fix

jmh686

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@jmh686 perfectly described. Driving me nuts. @Ford Motor Company private message just sent.
@amatofilms Let me know if you get a response from Ford. The Social Media Manager on this forum is great, but seems to have gone into a void with Ford Customer Serv. Got one email to ask if the truck was in the shop at the moment, then went quiet. Hopefully enough of us opening cases gets an engineer on it.

Curious - do you have the upgraded B&O audio?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have same issue, drives me nuts. As long as I have music on, I can’t hear it. Anytime someone calls me or with no music , the whistles/whining kicks up , from what I can tell is driver side. When I roll down , there’s too much wind noise so I can’t hear anymore. I find I notice it more at lower speeds , wether I’m accelerating or breaking. Hope someone finds a fix
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

Sponsored

coconutgroves

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum 4x4
I've noticed this same problem and believe it is the EV battery introducing electrical noise into the system. I had this on a previous vehicle (not an EV) from the alternator introducing whine into my stereo. I added a small device into the mix that suppressed the sound. I am not sure that is even an option here.

@Ford Motor Company - I will also send you my information via message. I would also like to see this fixed. I have supersonic hearing and this has been annoying.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Think I've got the same sound but have gotten used to it. Although, it doesn't sound like it's from the speakers. I always assumed this was engagement of the electric drive motor.

With windows down, you can hear it begin when switching from park->drive. And the tone scales up and down, in sync with speed and transmission gearing. Can hear it distinctly when going thru a drive-thru, when sound reflects off a nearby wall.

Last edited:

jmh686

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Think I've got the same sound but have gotten used to it. Although, it doesn't sound like it's from the speakers. I always assumed this was engagement of the electric drive motor.

With windows down, you can hear it begin when switching from park->drive. And the tone scales up and down, in sync with speed and transmission gearing. Can hear it distinctly when going thru a drive-thru, when sound reflects off a nearby wall.
What you're describing sounds more like the 10 Speed Transmission Whine. You'll see that Ford marked this one as "normal" and that your choice is to do what you did - get used to it! The whistle I've been trying to resolve is separate and distinct. It's almost only audible with the windows up and a very different pitch/frequency than the trans whine...which is absolutely obnoxious as well. At this rate, I've got a $70k full-hybrid dog whistle that needs no pedestrian warning system due to the "normal" wail of the transmission.

As an aside, still no word from Ford after confirmation of a case created. I waited 8 mo for this truck. When it was finally delivered, the driver side window didn't work right, the camera in the side mirror wasn't connected, one of the rear doors still doesn't close right, the dash randomly switches to different views, it whistles, it whines and the shifting from electric to gas motors is anything but elegant. I want to love the truck, but missing my grocery-getter (never once in the shop in 5 years) Acura MDX right about now.

Last edited:

amatofilms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
What you're describing sounds more like the 10 Speed Transmission Whine. You'll see that Ford marked this one as "normal" and that your choice is to do what you did - get used to it! The whistle I've been trying to resolve is separate and distinct. It's almost only audible with the windows up and a very different pitch.frequency than the trans whine...which is absolutely obnoxious as well. At this rate, I've got a $70k full-hybrid dog whistle that needs no pedestrian warning system due to the "normal" wail of the transmission.

As an aside, still no word from Ford after confirmation of a case created. I waited 8 mo for this truck. When it was finally delivered, the driver side window didn't work right, the camera in the side mirror wasn't connected, one of the rear doors still doesn't close right, the dash randomly switches to different views, it whistles, it whines and the shifting from electric to gas motors is anything but elegant. I want to love the truck, but missing my grocery-getter. (but never once in the shop in 5 years) Acura MDX right about now.
Agreed this is 100% this is not the transmission whine. @jmh686 we absolutely have the same issue. Also no word from ford yet either.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
What you're describing sounds more like the 10 Speed Transmission Whine. You'll see that Ford marked this one as "normal" and that your choice is to do what you did - get used to it! The whistle I've been trying to resolve is separate and distinct. It's almost only audible with the windows up and a very different pitch/frequency than the trans whine...which is absolutely obnoxious as well. At this rate, I've got a $70k full-hybrid dog whistle that needs no pedestrian warning system due to the "normal" wail of the transmission.

As an aside, still no word from Ford after confirmation of a case created. I waited 8 mo for this truck. When it was finally delivered, the driver side window didn't work right, the camera in the side mirror wasn't connected, one of the rear doors still doesn't close right, the dash randomly switches to different views, it whistles, it whines and the shifting from electric to gas motors is anything but elegant. I want to love the truck, but missing my grocery-getter (never once in the shop in 5 years) Acura MDX right about now.
Gotcha. Yea, a bit different. Hopefully they can get it figured out for ya.
Sponsored