CardsFan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
Hi All,

I have had my Powerboost for a few months now (5,500 miles) and really loving everything about it. One thing that I am trying to determine is if this high pitched whistle sound I am hearing is normal. I know the backup beep. I also know the safety hum that is there until 18 or so MPH. However, I also have this whistling sound during acceleration up to 60 MPH or so. This is the first time I have had turbo boosters, so was thinking that could be it, but it also seems to happen when I am on full electric. It is one that the pitch gets higher as the RPMs increase and then goes away/reduces as it shifts gears. It would be good to hear if anyone else hears this or not so I can determine if it's something that's normal or should take in.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
What I can hear from my truck is not what I would call a "whistle", but I would call it a whine". I can hear the electric machine (motor/generator) in operation. More when it's in generator mode and less when it's in motor mode.

I hear the same noise from my neighbor's Lexus RX470, and also from the Prius my buddy drives.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
Hi All,

I have had my Powerboost for a few months now (5,500 miles) and really loving everything about it. One thing that I am trying to determine is if this high pitched whistle sound I am hearing is normal. I know the backup beep. I also know the safety hum that is there until 18 or so MPH. However, I also have this whistling sound during acceleration up to 60 MPH or so. This is the first time I have had turbo boosters, so was thinking that could be it, but it also seems to happen when I am on full electric. It is one that the pitch gets higher as the RPMs increase and then goes away/reduces as it shifts gears. It would be good to hear if anyone else hears this or not so I can determine if it's something that's normal or should take in.

Thanks.
That’s turbo whistle, it’s normal, and I hear it on my truck. It‘s from the compressor side of the turbo, and can be heard from the air intake when the throttle body is wide open and the turbos spooled up (i.e. under moderate to hard acceleration).

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Turn on the boost gauge if you have that option and watch boost just to verify that it is the turbo spooling up.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
This is my 3rd Ecoboost engine but my first powerboost obviously. I at times do hear a whine while under moderate to hard acceleration that is not the turbos. I've chalked it up to the hybrid drive for now but I'm keeping my ears on it to see if it ever changes.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CardsFan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
Thanks everyone. I will for now just chalk it up to normal. Not sure if it is audible from outside the vehicle, but definitely inside I hear it. I will see if I can keep it in the same mode I am in but change the display so that it shows the booster to see if it is spooling up when I hear the sound.

Thanks,
Tim

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
Not sure if it is audible from outside the vehicle, but definitely inside I hear it.
Perhaps it’s something other than turbo whistle then, because that noise is a “swooosh” sounding whistle that comes from the engine bay and will be louder outside the vehicle. When checking to see if the noise corresponds to boost pressure, also check if it’s louder with your window open.

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Oilfield
I dont know what it is but is sure as hell annoying, I assume it is the electric motor or generator.
Almost as annoying as the backup beeping.

OP
OP

CardsFan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
Yes, you have the ability to customize the 2 center gauges. With your vehicle on, you can go to:
  1. Hit the Menu button on your steering wheel
  2. Scroll to Settings and press OK
  3. Scroll to Configure Gauges and press OK
  4. You can choose Left or Right Selectable Gauge
  5. Scroll to the boost selection and click OK.
I haven't had a chance yet to see if the boost is kicking in when I hear the whistle, but will do that sometime today and report back.

Sponsored

Clsam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Hi All,

Thanks.
Any luck nailing down what this may be? Just got my ‘21 Powerboost, and around hitting a couple of hundred miles mine started making a noise just like you have described. I’m almost certain it wasn’t making the noise when I first brought it home.

Clsam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Any luck nailing down what this may be? Just got my ‘21 Powerboost, and around hitting a couple of hundred miles mine started making a noise just like you have described. I’m almost certain it wasn’t making the noise when I first brought it home.
It's definitely inconsistent - didn't make the noise on my way to work this morning, noise was back as I drove home for lunch. Real high pitched, gets higher pitched as I accelerate & gears shift up, lower pitched as I let off the gas.

The Rod

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Hi All,

Thanks.
I know exactly what you mean. It sounds almost like a vacuum leak. It is NOT the turbo. I had mine in the shop a few weeks ago and they couldn't figure out what it was. Mostly hear it when I'm in electric as well.

Bandito

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited PowerBoost
The electronics, in particular the high-voltage components, do make noise. I could easily hear them in my Toyota Highlander, but I don't hear a similar high-pitched whine from my PowerBoost.

At any rate, you could just be lucky enough to have good hearing in the high-frequency range that allows you to hear more of this type of noise. Just a thought.

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, Powerboost Hybrid
I know exactly what you mean. It sounds almost like a vacuum leak. It is NOT the turbo. I had mine in the shop a few weeks ago and they couldn't figure out what it was. Mostly hear it when I'm in electric as well.
Well, the same whooshing noise started for me at about 900 miles. I can hear it anytime I'm traveling above 45MPH. I've rolled the windows down so I could hear the noise better and I actually think the noise goes away. With the windows up it sounds like its coming from the passenger side front of the vehicle. This is my second ecoboost F150, its definitely not the turbo's spooling up.
Sponsored