Powerboost whistle?

amatofilms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
I have a thread going on the facebook group as well. A user there says the front pillar speakers and rear door speakers on the unleashed are direct from the head unit. The other speakers are on the amp in the backseat. I pulled the connections off the backseat amp and the noise continued. So I'm guessing the noise might be from the head unit since those speakers in the pillar go right to it.

jmh686

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost, BAP, 502A
I have a thread going on the facebook group as well. A user there says the front pillar speakers and rear door speakers on the unleashed are direct from the head unit. The other speakers are on the amp in the backseat. I pulled the connections off the backseat amp and the noise continued. So I'm guessing the noise might be from the head unit since those speakers in the pillar go right to it.
@amatofilms, would you mind pointing me to the fbook group to follow?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Hey @Ford Motor Company what's the service level agreement on your customer service cases? I've sent a few follow-ups and no response. Case #CAS-38482144-W1B6M9 if it helps.
It took about 4 days from the initial contact before the Ford Customer Care rep to contact me when I contacted the Ford rep account on here.

On a side note, if you have not taken it in to the dealer the Ford customer care rep will probably Log the issue (useless as far as I'm concerned) and close the case.

You're better off taking it in and having a tech or shop foreman ride with you so you can replicate it for them and see what they say. It's not something all PB do so don't accept that. Then if they are unable to fix it Contact Customer Care directly and open a case or refer to this one so they will re-open it and go from there. Typically you can get them to contact the dealership and they will usually push for them to contact the phone support engineers if the techs are unable to identify the problem. I have had multiple dealings with Ford Customer care over the 20 Ranger and persistent leak issue. So I know their procedures fairly well. It's a pain in the ass but as long as you stay calm and polite with the Ford Customer Care reps they will usually bend over backwards to make you happy if the issue remains unresolved for a prolonged period of time and especially if the truck sits at the dealership for more than a couple of weeks. With all the leak issues with the Ranger and took multiple trips to the dealership just to locate the first leak after three failed attempts to fix it it sitting for months waiting on parts Ford really out did themselves. When it was all said and done, the rep reimbursed me for three months worth of payments to a visa card when i mentioned it had been sitting there for that amount of time with no loaner and I was still making payments. They also gave me Ford Premium Care on the truck for free when I finally got it back after waiting for parts for 3 months.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jmh686

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It took about 4 days from the initial contact before the Ford Customer Care rep to contact me when I contacted the Ford rep account on here.

On a side note, if you have not taken it in to the dealer the Ford customer care rep will probably Log the issue (useless as far as I'm concerned) and close the case.

You're better off taking it in and having a tech or shop foreman ride with you so you can replicate it for them and see what they say. It's not something all PB do so don't accept that. Then if they are unable to fix it Contact Customer Care directly and open a case or refer to this one so they will re-open it and go from there. Typically you can get them to contact the dealership and they will usually push for them to contact the phone support engineers if the techs are unable to identify the problem. I have had multiple dealings with Ford Customer care over the 20 Ranger and persistent leak issue. So I know their procedures fairly well.
I've had it in to two different dealerships, done ride-alongs etc. One (largest volume dealer, not necessarily shop, in MI) had 2 other vehicles in with the same complaint. They deemed it "normal for now until Ford issues a bulletin." I have no clue if they actually contacted the tech line or drew their own conclusion.

I had one comm from Ford CS to ask if the truck was currently in the shop, it's not. That was 9/7, crickets ever since. I haven't seen notice of case closed, which is why I was curious what the SLA is. If they are waiting for additional reports I get that, but silence leads to longer forum threads and negative NPS...

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I've had it in to two different dealerships, done ride-alongs etc. One (largest volume dealer, not necessarily shop, in MI) had 2 other vehicles in with the same complaint. They deemed it "normal for now until Ford issues a bulletin." I have no clue if they actually contacted the tech line or drew their own conclusion.

I had one comm from Ford CS to ask if the truck was currently in the shop, it's not. That was 9/7, crickets ever since. I haven't seen notice of case closed, which is why I was curious what the SLA is. If they are waiting for additional reports I get that, but silence leads to longer forum threads and negative NPS...

The 'Normal operation" dismissal is such a crock of shit. When they pull that line on me is when I usually go to the service manager and then their boss if needed. The trick is to remain firm but not lose your cool with them. They will instantly go on the defensive if you come across all agitated. Large volume dealerships are (at least down here in Houston) are usually the worst ones to go to for service as they don't want to invest the time diagnosing what they consider to be a minor noise complaint. You're probably going to have to take it in to another dealership for the noise complaint. I know it's a pain in the ass but until one of them doesn't instantly dismiss it as "normal operation" Explain to them about it being in multiple times already for this and it's not normal. Push for them to contact the support engineers or the field engineer to see if they can diagnose it.

The rep assigned may be on vacation (happens a lot) and your case was pushed to a backup rep who either sucks or has not had a chance to get to you. I would call in or email once a week to the reps. Not to be annoying, but more of 'hey, it's still not fixed and where are we going with this' You can also push for them to reach out to the field engineer on the issue, but hard to say if they will. Especially since this is not directly impacting drivability, instead just a noise issue.

jmh686

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 'Normal operation" dismissal is such a crock of shit. When they pull that line on me is when I usually go to the service manager and then their boss if needed. The trick is to remain firm but not lose your cool with them. They will instantly go on the defensive if you come across all agitated. Large volume dealerships are (at least down here in Houston) are usually the worst ones to go to for service as they don't want to invest the time diagnosing what they consider to be a minor noise complaint. You're probably going to have to take it in to another dealership for the noise complaint. I know it's a pain in the ass but until one of them doesn't instantly dismiss it as "normal operation" Explain to them about it being in multiple times already for this and it's not normal. Push for them to contact the support engineers or the field engineer to see if they can diagnose it.

The rep assigned may be on vacation (happens a lot) and your case was pushed to a backup rep who either sucks or has not had a chance to get to you. I would call in or email once a week to the reps. Not to be annoying, but more of 'hey, it's still not fixed and where are we going with this' You can also push for them to reach out to the field engineer on the issue, but hard to say if they will. Especially since this is not directly impacting drivability, instead just a noise issue.
We are well aligned in approach! I even got the "Huh, I hear that too, that's definitely not right" comment from the Service Manager at the shop. I live 25min from Dearborn...maybe I'll just drive up to HQ or the assembly line ;)

amatofilms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
I just pulled the wires off the amp in the back seat and fuse 15 for the SYNC system and the sound is still there. Maybe the amp for the pillar speakers is on a different fuse but 15 killed the screen just didn't stop the sound.

Sponsored

LtPickleRelish

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Powerboost XLT
Reading through this thread and listening to the video of the sounds posted… have any of you owned electric/hybrid vehicles in the past?

They all make an electronic “whine” while driving/regenerative braking. I hate to take Fords side on this, but my Powerboost makes those same noises. I have the pedestrian alert silenced and hear it often, but that’s just part of owning a Hybrid.

amatofilms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
Reading through this thread and listening to the video of the sounds posted… have any of you owned electric/hybrid vehicles in the past?

They all make an electronic “whine” while driving/regenerative braking. I hate to take Fords side on this, but my Powerboost makes those same noises. I have the pedestrian alert silenced and hear it often, but that’s just part of owning a Hybrid.
I'm totally OK with the pedestrian warning system, electric motors, regenerative breaking sounds. What I'm not OK with is my "upgraded" stereo sounding like a 1980 ford with a bad alternator causing ground loop like noise. I've been in the lightning and other Hybrids and none make this noise.

amatofilms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
Also the dealership has my truck for another 4 days this week for more testing. They acknowledge the sound isn't right but don't know what it is or why it's making it.

Bigpb21

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Sales
I think my dealer has figured out the high pitched whistle. This time they had the truck on lifts with the trucks “driving” through the gears so they could try and pinpoint the whistle. They said my blow off valve which is more of an regenrator for the turbo was stuck in the open position because the solenoid was faulty. They say that is exactly where the sound is coming from. They have parts ordered to repair and once I get it back I'll let
You all know if that finally fixed the whistle.

jmh686

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think my dealer has figured out the high pitched whistle. This time they had the truck on lifts with the trucks “driving” through the gears so they could try and pinpoint the whistle. They said my blow off valve which is more of an regenrator for the turbo was stuck in the open position because the solenoid was faulty. They say that is exactly where the sound is coming from. They have parts ordered to repair and once I get it back I'll let
You all know if that finally fixed the whistle.
🤞🏻
Sponsored