Powerboost whistle?

mj1angier

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Power Boost
Okay, I guess I have powerboost whine. Driving this week on deer hunt with windows down, guys ask what that whine is. Shift to park, it goes away. Ridding of my but insures..
Sponsored

mwhuskers

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I have this same whistle. Didn't show up until I had 500 or so miles. I've had a few ecoboosts and this is not the turbos. Seems like it does it whether running on gas or electric. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the transmission. It's driving me nuts.

MitchCox

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
Hey guys, you may be referring to the fake electric "engine" noise put out the front speaker. I made a video of the noise with the speaker enabled and then disabled the speaker to show you how quiet your powerboost should be. Watch the video below, is this the noise you are referring to?

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Yes, you have the ability to customize the 2 center gauges. With your vehicle on, you can go to:
  1. Hit the Menu button on your steering wheel
  2. Scroll to Settings and press OK
  3. Scroll to Configure Gauges and press OK
  4. You can choose Left or Right Selectable Gauge
  5. Scroll to the boost selection and click OK.
I haven't had a chance yet to see if the boost is kicking in when I hear the whistle, but will do that sometime today and report back.
For some reason my November 2021 build doesn't have that menu option under Menu\Settings.

Ford F-150 Powerboost whistle? 1645105614108

mwhuskers

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
No. I was watching my gears today and the whistle is the loudest right before it shifts, then comes back quieter and louder again before it shifts. This is in the bottom gears, no turbo boost.

Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I'm pretty certain it's the electric motor creating the noise. Don't hear it in Park - only drive gears. Don't hear it at higher speeds, where wind, tire, and engine noise(s) are dominant.

thicctacoboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
No. I was watching my gears today and the whistle is the loudest right before it shifts, then comes back quieter and louder again before it shifts. This is in the bottom gears, no turbo boost.
I have the same whistle/whine. Sounds like it's coming from the footwell/driver door area. Not turbo wine. I also have assumed it's from the electric motor, but when it's not being used, thinking some kind of whine associated with the electric motor rotating between the Engine/Trans.

No idea if that is actually how it works, just guessing. I have been waiting for an extra powerboost to be on my dealer lot to test out while getting scheduled maintenance, but they have had none.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
This is my 3rd Ecoboost engine but my first powerboost obviously. I at times do hear a whine while under moderate to hard acceleration that is not the turbos. I've chalked it up to the hybrid drive for now but I'm keeping my ears on it to see if it ever changes.
My 3rd ecoboost. I think my f150 is better insulation from sound than my previous expedition and flex. Turbo whine is there . Usually more audible in cold air .. i have the powerboost and when electric only it has a different whine that is a bit lower pitch than the turbo spooling sound . Ive been electric only on highways at close to 60 mph when long downhill grade and the electric sound is very hard to hear when at speed

amatofilms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
This sound has been driving me nuts. It is not the turbos or the pedestrian warning system. Sounds like it's coming from the driver foot well. Dealership tells me it's the electric engines but it comes and goes. Super annoying when it's quiet in the truck. Anyone had any luck finding it?

OP
OP

CardsFan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
Been a while since I have been on the site. I still have the sound. Dealership hasn't been helpful in determining what it is. They also haven't had a Powerboost on the lot long enough for me to drive it to see if it makes the same sound. I agree that it seems to be coming from the driver foot well. I am assuming it is something with the electric engine, but not a sound that I would have expected. While I have mostly gotten used to it, it still is annoying.

Sponsored

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I have the 5.0 but I can also hear a slight whine when the windows are down and I am on the accelerator. I always assumed it was from the transmission so maybe that's what it is. When the windows are up I don't hear it, just the Coyote howling. :)

shall

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB Lariat 502a
About 700 miles in - just started noticing the Powerboost whine. Primarily in electric mode and stops when the truck is in park.

Anyone have luck with the dealership/ford?

MitchCox

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
Pretty sure it’s the fake “engine “ sound they pipe out the front speaker. So the truck makes a noise while moving. Is that not the noise your referring to?

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
Do the Powerboosts use the 10 speed transmission? If so, it could the transmission whine. My 5.0 has it and it's driving me crazy when my windows are open.

amatofilms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
Well after 4 days at the dealership they are saying it’s the regenerative breaking system charging the battery. Don’t believe we are talking about the same sound but they say they drove 2 other powerboosts on the lot and don’t hear any different sounds on my truck vs theirs. The hunt continues….
Sponsored