Powerboost vs ecoboost

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
What I'd like to find are two (or 3 or 4?) trucks that are all optioned the same except for the towing package selected. (Nothing, Tow Tech, Trailer Towing, & Max Tow) Then find a parts guy willing to look up an entire parts list for every VIN and compare them just to see what parts are different. I feel like that's the only way we'll get a true answer to what is different because Ford can't give a straight answer in any literature.
Go to the ford site and find some trucks that are optioned the same... get the VINs. Then go to

https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculator

Good luck. I can't tell you how many dealers I went to trying to get this info.... It should be part of the Ford build site.
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Go to the ford site and find some trucks that are optioned the same... get the VINs. Then go to

https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculator

Good luck. I can't tell you how many dealers I went to trying to get this info.... It should be part of the Ford build site.
What I was talking about is the actual parts differences between the various tow packages. For other trucks, it's more obvious what the differences are, but the one document I saw, the Powerboost gets most of the towing parts already with no packages add.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
What I was talking about is the actual parts differences between the various tow packages. For other trucks, it's more obvious what the differences are, but the one document I saw, the Powerboost gets most of the towing parts already with no packages add.
I agree - my dealer even had the Service mgr in the conversation and they both could not identify anything different between the Tow pkg truck vs one w/o the tow pkg when the base truck was XLT/302a with the PB - it seems the PB adds many of the components that provide the extra Tow capacity in the Tow Pkg - now the Service Mgr did NOT do a detailed part number by part number comparison so maybe there is something but he did not know what it could be

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Sport Powerboost
Occupation
Energy
My first post here. I have been dead set on the PB since it was announced. But the more and more I look at it I realize I don’t really need it if I won’t be using it like a generator. The gas mileage compared to the 3.5 ecoboost doesn’t offset the price increase at all. Is there any other reason people are wanting the PB?
Hey man nice to meet you, I’ll just list
In no priority some of the reasons I went with this Powerboost over a 3rd ecoboost for me. (2012 3.5; 2016 3.5; 2021 3.5 PB)

1. Generator
2. Horsepower/ Torque ++
3. Extra weight (especially in the ass)
4. Sync 4
5. 10 speed transmission
6. I sold my 2nd car cause my Ford MME was supposed to show up the next day, so in lieu of waiting and renting and the abundance of unknown I seen that Ford was making this hybrid F/150 and I got lucky on a unit available in Washington state that just showed up on their lot and was almost exactly how I would have ordered it. The stars aligned the XLT rebates, discounts, Xplan, incentives it all was too good I had to call their bluff and turns out they weren’t bluffing. It’s in my garage now. ?

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy
I ordered the PB because of the fuel savings. I currently have a 2018 5.0. It gets around 21 on the hwy with a tail wind blowing, more like 14 in the city.
It also has a 144 litre tank. It costs me around $150 to $170 fill from empty. Canadian money, so $10 bucks US ?.

My calculations show that I will save 30 to 50 dollars per tank just in the fill up and I should go just as far. It looks like it will work out to $120 to $200 dollars per month in fuel savings alone.

I won't be using the generator all of the time, but camping and if the power goes out, I can power most of my house in an emergency.

My problem is going to be trying to stay out of the Boost. Apparently, it's going to be a rocket.

Have a great Thanksgiving.
That it is, a rocket.
I never really pay attention to my actual mileage, because I’m a lazy pig. However, knowing what it’s capable of and me driving it like Ricky Bobby, I feel like piece of mind that I made a great purchase.
I watched a YouTube video or two and I thought all PB were 700 mile to a tank or so, that’s my naive failure not to dig, my truck filled up is like 500 miles to a tank.
I still have my 2016 Ecoboost 3.5 with the tow package 3.55 gears and 36 gallon fuel tank and that thing not towing was more like 600 miles a tank or more.
Other than that I got more options on this XLT then my last two XLT 3.5 and I am so happy I got a sport appearance package this time. I’m sure my wife was tired of all the plasti dip on my last two. ?

Sponsored

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy
I liked the PowerBoost, but went with the 3.5 EcoBoost instead. For me, the PowerBoost only offers 30 more horsepower, and the likelihood of being difficult to modify later down the road if you’re into that. The standard EcoBoost also allows you to tow more.

I was also a little hesitant about this being the first year of the PowerBoost and the potential problems associated with a first year run of brand new technology.

Both are great in my limited experience and it really comes down to what you want to do with the truck.
I haven’t triple checked but my PB has like 570 lb-ft torque = 12.400 lbs towing.
And for a fact I know I like towing with the PB much better due to the extra ~600+ pounds that keeps it’s ass planted.
But dude for sure either one is BA and I’ve had 2 Ecoboost before this one all 3.5 and 3.55 gears.
Great daily driver and never a question if there’s enough power towing my little camper Uphill in the left lane.
what Package did you get with your 3.5?

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
If you're towing a horse trailer, then go with Max Tow... If a travel trailer, leave off max tow.... It really depends on your target payload capacity number that should drive the decision.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
If you're towing a horse trailer, then go with Max Tow... If a travel trailer, leave off max tow.... It really depends on your target payload capacity number that should drive the decision.
Can you go into a little more detail on your reasons for max tow with a horse trailer non-max with a TT? IS it because of togue weight?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I haven’t triple checked but my PB has like 570 lb-ft torque = 12.400 lbs towing.
And for a fact I know I like towing with the PB much better due to the extra ~600+ pounds that keeps it’s ass planted.
But dude for sure either one is BA and I’ve had 2 Ecoboost before this one all 3.5 and 3.55 gears.
Great daily driver and never a question if there’s enough power towing my little camper Uphill in the left lane.
what Package did you get with your 3.5?
4x4 with 3.55 axle ratio. I’m trying to let it break in, but getting on the gas in this thing is absolutely nuts! It makes everything else I’m used to driving seem slow. I get on it anywhere in the rev range, and I’m simply gone! The truck is deceptively quick. I love it!!

prairieguy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
I think you mean $4850 more for PB and it does come with the 2.4 kw pro-power on board. What exactly comes with the “Canadian” 302a package that our neighbours to the south don’t get?
up here a 302a comes with the trailer tow pkg, 36 gal tank and rear power sliding window.
the PB is a $5750 option and does not come with the propwer. well it does but its an additional 2k
it shows up in the msrp.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
4x4 with 3.55 axle ratio. I’m trying to let it break in, but getting on the gas in this thing is absolutely nuts! It makes everything else I’m used to driving seem slow. I get on it anywhere in the rev range, and I’m simply gone! The truck is deceptively quick. I love it!!
Wait for the full EV F-150 to see what torque really feels like. The Powerboost is amazing - FOR an ICE-based vehicle. It is doing runs in the 6.06 0-60 range, which is great for any truck (faster than the last-gen Raptor). Motor Trend says the Powerboots does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, but no one else has been able to reproduce that. In any case, my Tesla SUV, a 2019 Model X Performance, will get to 60 in less than HALF that time - 2.6 seconds. That's an amazing feeling - makes passengers sick. When Ford releases the full EV F-150, we're going to see REAL acceleration.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Wait for the full EV F-150 to see what torque really feels like. The Powerboost is amazing - FOR an ICE-based vehicle. It is doing runs in the 6.06 0-60 range, which is great for any truck (faster than the last-gen Raptor). Motor Trend says the Powerboots does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, but no one else has been able to reproduce that. In any case, my Tesla SUV, a 2019 Model X Performance, will get to 60 in less than HALF that time - 2.6 seconds. That's an amazing feeling - makes passengers sick. When Ford releases the full EV F-150, we're going to see REAL acceleration.
That is a plus with electric vehicles. All that torque and power available from 0 rpms and anywhere is the power band. It’s uses a ton of juice, though, at least for where vehicle batteries are currently technology wise.

I also saw that video a few weeks back. The PowerBoost gaps that Raptor!!

Trashman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I'm 1000 miles in on my Limited Powerboost and have been babying it with City (town) and Highway miles and getting 18.2 overall. Mostly in Normal mode. Curious of what Ecoboosts are getting with similar driving? My '11 V8 for 100,000 miles overall was getting 15.5 with less babying. I think I was expecting 20+

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I'm 1000 miles in on my Limited Powerboost and have been babying it with City (town) and Highway miles and getting 18.2 overall. Mostly in Normal mode. Curious of what Ecoboosts are getting with similar driving? My '11 V8 for 100,000 miles overall was getting 15.5 with less babying. I think I was expecting 20+
That is not good for babying it. My average since I've owned it is higher than that and I've pulled my boat several times.

Was trying to post a photo I had on my phone but something is messed up.

Anyway I have almost 1600 miles and my overall lifetime average is just shy of 20 MPG. I have only added 87 octane fuel also.

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Holy crap! Before authenticating this world record with Guinness, we need to see the round trip average. One direction can be aided by wind or slope. The only way to even this out is a trip that finishes where you started! Please also enable bread crumbs on your map showing a full loop so we can send you your certificate of authenticity with the board. :ROFLMAO:
Well to and from work with stop on way home to tims. :coffee::cool:. Highway kms and 80 kms zones and two towns to travel 50 kms back town had 3 plus traffic lights . Can you get this with your eco powered engines? I think not.

Ford F-150 Powerboost vs ecoboost IMG_20210408_1917147

Ford F-150 Powerboost vs ecoboost IMG_20210407_2333119
Sponsored