First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Mechanical Technician
Did you see my experiment for freeway speeds? I tested 10th gear and found an equation:
1617057049155.png

55mph is where I can "run up the scoreboard" at 28MPG but it is also a very annoying speed unless you are on a 2 lane highway. And I lose about 1/2MPG for every MPH above that. I haven't done further testing below 55mpg or where it switches to 8th or 9th.

In town I can "run up the scoreboard" on fairly smooth surface streets where 25-40mph is normal and there aren't too many full stops. The alternating between electric and hybrid really optimizes gas on these things in that speed range. 40mph in 8th gear seemed pretty efficient but I didn't do official tests, things kept knocking me out of 40mph by getting in my way.
[/QU

I haven't done any testing, so to speak. However, I have noticed some differences in the shift scheduling between this new PB and my previous truck. Which was an 18 3.5l eco with a 10 speed. I've noticed that my new truck doesn't "skip shift" anymore and that the new truck also seems to try and get to 10th gear as soon as it can. I've also noticed what appears to be a "sweet spot" in the rpm range. It seems to stay at about 1400 rpm a lot. Like it will put the engine at that rpm and add or subtract electric motor to keep the desired speed. Maybe a coincidence, I don't know. I do like the truck a lot. I can't wait to see how it tows my travel trailer. I pretty much purchased the truck for the 7.2 KW generator alone as there are a couple of places each year where I use the trailer with no electric hookup. No more loud a$$ generators! Lol!

Pete
Sponsored

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Took trip to Canadian tire today and decided to follow speed limit there, just normal drive mode. To my surprise it was mostly in electric mode. So to all you that decided not to get the powerboost, here's the results , for you Canadians and Americans.

Ford F-150 Powerboost vs ecoboost IMG_20210330_1557267

Ford F-150 Powerboost vs ecoboost IMG_20210330_1556269

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Took trip to Canadian tire today and decided to follow speed limit there, just normal drive mode. To my surprise it was mostly in electric mode. So to all you that decided not to get the powerboost, here's the results , for you Canadians and Americans.

IMG_20210330_1557267.jpg

IMG_20210330_1556269.jpg
So not only d

IMG_20210330_1557267.jpg

IMG_20210330_1556269.jpg

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
So not only do the powerboost have the most hp when needed it has by far the most mpg of any truck until we get full electric truck.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

IMG_20210330_1557267.jpg

IMG_20210330_1556269.jpg
Holy crap! Before authenticating this world record with Guinness, we need to see the round trip average. One direction can be aided by wind or slope. The only way to even this out is a trip that finishes where you started! Please also enable bread crumbs on your map showing a full loop so we can send you your certificate of authenticity with the board. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Holy crap! Before authenticating this world record with Guinness, we need to see the round trip average. One direction can be aided by wind or slope. The only way to even this out is a trip that finishes where you started! Please also enable bread crumbs on your map showing a full loop so we can send you your certificate of authenticity with the board. :ROFLMAO:
I forgot to look at it on way there. This was my return trip. I will do another trip again this week but I will go farther distance to and from. Just to see if I can get better or worst results. I'm getting much better mpg after I got my retrax bed cover put on. Only 75ks with cover.

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
this was before retrox cover.
Ford F-150 Powerboost vs ecoboost 1617145489777

petervenkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat Powerboost
does anyone have the powerboost with max tow? i placed my order and considering taking max tow off to save a bit of money.

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
The powerboost gets 24mpg. 3.5 eco gets 20.

Lets use 15,000 miles per year. And gas at $2.50 a gallon.

Powerboost
15,000/24=625 gallons of gas
625x2.50=$1562 per year on gas

3.5 Ecoboost
15,000/20=750 gallons of gas
750x2.50=$1875 per year on gas

1875-1562= $313 per year difference in gas

Adding the Powerboost instead of the Eco is an increase of $1722. So divide that by the fuel savings per year. 1722/313=5.5 years.

So you dont break even on fuel savings until 5.5 years if you drive 15,000 miles a year. And by that time the 80,000 mile warranty is up on the battery. Because you will be at 82,500 miles when you break even on fuel savings. Its not worth it to me in terms of fuel savings
One comment to all - Ford is purposely positioning this PB feature for the generator feature first and with the 'oh by the way - you get these additional bonus features such as "extended range, better MPG and increased torque". My personal view in my analysis is that if you're determining the value of PB vs EB purely based on the MPG savings - it's a hard ROI. You have to be getting value out of the generator feature and the convenience it lends in order to justify the cost. When I did the math on a Lariat PB vs EB, there was about $800 I couldn't recover based on fuel savings based on mileage alone. However, it's a price worth paying in my case for the convenience of having the on board generator for some of my weekend adventures!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
One comment to all - Ford is purposely positioning this PB feature for the generator feature first and with the 'oh by the way - you get these additional bonus features such as "extended range, better MPG and increased torque". My personal view in my analysis is that if you're determining the value of PB vs EB purely based on the MPG savings - it's a hard ROI. You have to be getting value out of the generator feature and the convenience it lends in order to justify the cost. When I did the math on a Lariat PB vs EB, there was about $800 I couldn't recover based on fuel savings based on mileage alone. However, it's a price worth paying in my case for the convenience of having the on board generator for some of my weekend adventures!
Yep! My 4x2 EB had fantastic MPG so the savings in gas doesn't justify it alone. The MPG is just a fun thing for me. I booked a weekend of "dry" camping already, at a local lake 42 minutes away that is very hard to get into. Can't wait to go and give this genny a test run!

Sponsored

pricetyler

First Name
Sterling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Constrution Executive
Do you feel like the powerboost accelerated much faster than the regular 3.5 ecoboost. I’m hearing the powerboost is quite a bit heavier also
My Powerboost is extremely quick and much more powerful than my 2019 3.5 ecoboost was. I’m also finding that in city driving that about a third of my miles are being done electrically. Better than what I was expecting.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
does anyone have the powerboost with max tow? i placed my order and considering taking max tow off to save a bit of money.
Well I have been trying to find out what exactly the Tow Pkg and/or the Max tow pkg provide that you don't get with the PB alone - it seems the Max tow adds a rear brake upgrade - good luck finding anything else provided (please comment if you do). That said the tow ratings do increase but my dealer thinks that is just a spec item as he also could not identify anything that gets added other than extra $'s to the price.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
What I'd like to find are two (or 3 or 4?) trucks that are all optioned the same except for the towing package selected. (Nothing, Tow Tech, Trailer Towing, & Max Tow) Then find a parts guy willing to look up an entire parts list for every VIN and compare them just to see what parts are different. I feel like that's the only way we'll get a true answer to what is different because Ford can't give a straight answer in any literature.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Did you see my experiment for freeway speeds? I tested 10th gear and found an equation:
1617057049155.png

55mph is where I can "run up the scoreboard" at 28MPG but it is also a very annoying speed unless you are on a 2 lane highway. And I lose about 1/2MPG for every MPH above that. I haven't done further testing below 55mpg or where it switches to 8th or 9th.

In town I can "run up the scoreboard" on fairly smooth surface streets where 25-40mph is normal and there aren't too many full stops. The alternating between electric and hybrid really optimizes gas on these things in that speed range. 40mph in 8th gear seemed pretty efficient but I didn't do official tests, things kept knocking me out of 40mph by getting in my way.
I have a PB, but in Texas, my freeway speeds are all pushing the right side of your chart pretty hard just trying to not get run over. So I don’t see the advertised highway mileage.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
Well I have been trying to find out what exactly the Tow Pkg and/or the Max tow pkg provide that you don't get with the PB alone - it seems the Max tow adds a rear brake upgrade - good luck finding anything else provided (please comment if you do). That said the tow ratings do increase but my dealer thinks that is just a spec item as he also could not identify anything that gets added other than extra $'s to the price.
I finally found this site after blindly ordering and taking delivery. As best I can tell Max tow gets you a HD rear diff. I think payload goes down a little as this axle is heavier. Try it yourself

https://fordfleetlive.com/#/TowingCalculator

If I read these correctly a Platinum with PB/+Tow/+Max Tow handles 7000/11,000/12,400.

Ford F-150 Powerboost vs ecoboost 1617250162111
Sponsored