Powerboost vs ecoboost

OP

Mabes

Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
I would agree, but from what I understand this hybrid design is very similar to the Fusion Hybrid and its been around for years. They give you 8 yrs 160 thousand mile warranty, that should more than cover any issues (at least that was what I was told). That is even more coverage than the regular ECOBOOST engine and regular transmission at 100000 mile. (I think my warranty numbers are correct).
I just checked again. Its 8 years 100,000 mile warranty for the powerboost

SBrentnall

Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
@Mabes It also depends where in the country you live. I'm in Los Angeles, and the average price of a gallon of regular is $3.15, so the PowerBoost pays for itself more quickly.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Tahoe, 2014 Mazda3
There are certainly a lot of variables in a cost/benefit analysis. Trailer owners who like to escape RV parks and boondock will place a higher value on the Powerboost (2.4 or 7.2 KW) because of that unique use. The hwy/local driving mix is another good example. I don't drive my tow vehicle (a Tahoe) due to its lousy gas mileage...but I'd prefer driving it to our Mazda around town, despite it's bulk, because it's more comfortable. So a PB 150 would probably fit that bill - for me. The GVWR of the PB 150 is 300# more than the other 150 models (plus it eats up another 170# in lost payload weight) to cover the 35KW motor, the 1.5KW battery and the very heavy high-voltage cabling. So that will translate to more tire wear and perhaps other weight-related wear and tear, before you put one additional pound aboard. Also worth mentioning is that many 3.5L EB owners fail to get their promised gas mileage simply because they enjoy the power of the powertrain. Will that happen with a PB owner? With me? Hard so say.

It's tempting to get down in the weeds with all this pro & con stuff. The good news IMO is that there are two excellent choices (at least) available to the consumer.

Jack

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
There are certainly a lot of variables in a cost/benefit analysis. Trailer owners who like to escape RV parks and boondock will place a higher value on the Powerboost (2.4 or 7.2 KW) because of that unique use. The hwy/local driving mix is another good example. I don't drive my tow vehicle (a Tahoe) due to its lousy gas mileage...but I'd prefer driving it to our Mazda around town, despite it's bulk, because it's more comfortable. So a PB 150 would probably fit that bill - for me. The GVWR of the PB 150 is 300# more than the other 150 models (plus it eats up another 170# in lost payload weight) to cover the 35KW motor, the 1.5KW battery and the very heavy high-voltage cabling. So that will translate to more tire wear and perhaps other weight-related wear and tear, before you put one additional pound aboard. Also worth mentioning is that many 3.5L EB owners fail to get their promised gas mileage simply because they enjoy the power of the powertrain. Will that happen with a PB owner? With me? Hard so say.

It's tempting to get down in the weeds with all this pro & con stuff. The good news IMO is that there are two excellent choices (at least) available to the consumer.

Jack
When I see those mpg numbers I don't see them as a spec, but as a CHALLENGE. Like Ford is daring me to try to beat their crappy number. So I will not be having my fun with the turbo-ing I will be having fun trying to beat that 24mpg. There will be a lot more tools with the live fuel consumption, eco mode, and practicing electric only driving. I will be geeking out playing with it!

I ran my cost/benefit at $3 and $3.50 per gallon (california here) and still came out to about 50-60k miles before breaking even. However, one factor that could sway this big time is people that WOULD have bought a generator and took it along for dry camping. That adds maybe a hundred lbs back if you got the ecoboost, plus those dollars spent on the generator add to the EB cost of ownership. But only IF you would need a generator. If you are like me, you would never have bought or brought a generator, so the PB just adds capability to pull over at any truck stop, BLM land, walmart, cabela's, etc, and have power for microwaves, TV, gaming, charging, cpap machine, you name it.

Overall, I agree it is "hard to say" since not everything you give up or gain has a direct $$$ value.

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Platinum; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller
When I see those mpg numbers I don't see them as a spec, but as a CHALLENGE. Like Ford is daring me to try to beat their crappy number. So I will not be having my fun with the turbo-ing I will be having fun trying to beat that 24mpg. There will be a lot more tools with the live fuel consumption, eco mode, and practicing electric only driving. I will be geeking out playing with it!

I ran my cost/benefit at $3 and $3.50 per gallon (california here) and still came out to about 50-60k miles before breaking even. However, one factor that could sway this big time is people that WOULD have bought a generator and took it along for dry camping. That adds maybe a hundred lbs back if you got the ecoboost, plus those dollars spent on the generator add to the EB cost of ownership. But only IF you would need a generator. If you are like me, you would never have bought or brought a generator, so the PB just adds capability to pull over at any truck stop, BLM land, walmart, cabela's, etc, and have power for microwaves, TV, gaming, charging, cpap machine, you name it.

Overall, I agree it is "hard to say" since not everything you give up or gain has a direct $$$ value.
I have started getting a little better mileage on mine lately. I’m averaging about 21-22 mpg. That maybe a combination of it starting to break in and me, like you, taking it as a challenge to get the higher figure. I have to be a little judicious with the slow, easy starts with traffic behind me. I don’t want aggravate other drivers too much.

Advertisement

Advertisement