Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Yeah they had same recommendation on my motorcycle. I don't go out of the way to get extreme mileage on oil. It just needs to get to the miles the oil monitor tells me to change it. It's always been capable of going far beyond that mileage but I don't see the point.
The tribologists would tell you that so long as the basics of the oil are good it can be used "forever." Well... don't really feel comfortable with that one. In the early life of the family Suburban I've mentioned, I changed oil (synthetic) & filter every 3,000 miles. When I discovered Blackstone and started doing that, I realized I was throwing away good oil at 3,000 miles. So I began playing around and 10,000 to 15,000 is comfortable. In the end that seems to be where TBN gets below 1.0 and that's a change threshhold for me. In the case of the turbo charged engine I now have, I'll just have to watch things more closely. :)
Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Have read several that always cast the discussion in terms of "saving a buck." That is not my thinking. Based on experimentation where I sampled every 3,000 miles and let the sampling tell me when to change I concluded that changing oil every 3,000mi or whatever wasn't called for. What I have chosen to do is treat the oil like any other component, brakes, alternator, etc. You run those until something tells you replacement is called for. That's how I treat the oil sampling, it tells me when a change is called for. One entry above talked about oil sampling giving you 2,000 mi more on a 3,000 mi change and that being more expensive. That cost analysis is flawed in that you'll find oil sampling & analysis can give you far more than another 2,000 mi. For reference, on another car, with sampling every 3,000 mi, I got out to 21,000 mi when I said enough was enough.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
BTW That was a normally aspirated engine. A turbo charged engine may well call for different intervals.
This is a fascinating question for several reasons, all of which apply to the 3.5L gen 2. On one hand, the bearings in the exhaust turbo are about as oil sensitive as anything, BUT the gen 2 turbos have water cooling as well. Third counterpoint: the Powerboosts AGGRESSIVELY cycle the engine off even during heavy use (my ICE kicked off while decelerating from 75 to 60 MPH and stayed off for 5-15 seconds last night while cruising at 55-60), and while the thermosiphon is supposed to help with that, it seems like an almost perfect environment for oil coking in the turbo bearings.

I have been wrestling with putting turbo blankets on mine for over a year, and even knowledgeable folks are kind of stumped on the right course of action because of all of the factors pushing and pulling in opposite directions. With oil changes, it seems like the cost/benefit favors changing your oil more often and doing it yourself if you want to save money.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
This is a fascinating question for several reasons, all of which apply to the 3.5L gen 2. On one hand, the bearings in the exhaust turbo are about as oil sensitive as anything, BUT the gen 2 turbos have water cooling as well. Third counterpoint: the Powerboosts AGGRESSIVELY cycle the engine off even during heavy use (my ICE kicked off while decelerating from 75 to 60 MPH and stayed off for 5-15 seconds last night while cruising at 55-60), and while the thermosiphon is supposed to help with that, it seems like an almost perfect environment for oil coking in the turbo bearings.

I have been wrestling with putting turbo blankets on mine for over a year, and even knowledgeable folks are kind of stumped on the right course of action because of all of the factors pushing and pulling in opposite directions. With oil changes, it seems like the cost/benefit favors changing your oil more often and doing it yourself if you want to save money.
Well, the question is simple: does changing the oil more frequently than the tribology calls for improve things? The answer, as I see things, is simply no. Why do I say that? Well what 's important is the lubricating ability of the oil. That is governed by the ash content, and the chemical condition of the oil. If the chemical content is good with reserves and the oil isn't carrying a load of ash, then there simply is no reason to change it. Coking of the oil in the turbos can occur regardless of new oil or older oil. It occurs when the oil flow is so low as to allow the heat of the turbos to "burn" the oil because it cannot carry away the heat intended. This is unrelated to the newness of the oil (so long as its chemistry is good). BTW good filtering is important also. In researching filters years ago I found a company making 8 µ rated full flow filters along with 1 µ low flow filters. I have put both on my truck with the 1 µ one as a bypass filter. On another hybrid engine I installed a small oil pump set up to run when the engine itself was in the off cycle. I used a small 24 vdc pump and set up to just maintain maybe 10 psi in the system. A 24 vdc motor was used on the 12 vdc system to reduce the pump output by half. That hybrid is still going strong after 17 years. I'm considering how to put one on this truck. Maybe an Accusump instead... still deciding. Also, turbo charged aircraft pilots are advised to take at least 5 minutes to taxi back before shutdown specifically to allow their turbos to spin down after cruise since their turbos operate full time in cruise. So the point about how our turbos operate is important. I suspect that's partly why Ford split for water cooling to them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Oil analysis costs 35$ and an oil change done by me costs 32.36$ for Mobil 1 and 5.33$ for a Ford factory filter, total 37.69$. I just change at 5k and don't worry about it. Might do an oil analysis at 30k miles.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
If we're concerned about viscosity reduction due to excessive fuel contamination why not run full synthetic 10W-40 or something? If it's not a big deal then why are we running oil analysis on a proven engine like the 3.5L twin turbo? I'm seriously asking and not trying to be a jerk.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I've said if your goal is to get to the next trade-in, say 3-5 years, that works just fine. No criticism intended on my part. I've said that if your goal is to keep your truck far longer than that, oil analysis should be part of your plan. At the end of the day, you can run your oil like any other component, when it meets criteria for changing... do so. Even if you're running hard these days, a 3,000 mile oil change is very likely unnecessary. To my way of thinking, and something I've done on a previous vehicle, is to take a sample every 3,000 miles. When the results tell you to, change the oil... I'm gearing up to start that.

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ F150 Powerboost Lariat
This may be a bit off topic. I’ve recently stocked up on Penzoil 5w-30 platinum full synthetic and a bunch of Fram oil filters.

I’d like to alternate between the dealer changing my oil and me changing my oil.

I plan on changing my own oil every 3500-5000 miles and letting the dealer change after another 3500-5000 miles.

I will keeping a log in the truck tracking my own oil changes (date, mileage, what was used/done).

Is a hand written log sufficient for warranty compliance purposes? Or is there some other official process other than resetting my oil life on the truck?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You can upload your self-service maintenance with receipts using FordPass or the Ford website in a browser.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost UOA Kirkland 5W-30 @ 9,900 mi -- Blackstone Oil Analysis Report Screenshot_20230604_215716_FordPass

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
If we're concerned about viscosity reduction due to excessive fuel contamination why not run full synthetic 10W-40 or something? If it's not a big deal then why are we running oil analysis on a proven engine like the 3.5L twin turbo? I'm seriously asking and not trying to be a jerk.
I wouldn't do that. I'm guessing that dilution is factored in and the tolerances are probably closer to that of a 5w-20 engine. Unlike other ratings that are trying to steer consumers into upgrades / higher trims, the engine guys aren't doing that. The spec is the spec and sans the engineers behind the motors making suggestions, I wouldn't be moving to a higher viscosity for feelgoods.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
You can upload your self-service maintenance with receipts using FordPass or the Ford website in a browser.

Screenshot_20230604_215716_FordPass.jpg
$3,280 for HVAC? Good God did you mount a 3 ton in the bed?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Well... It depends on your long range plan. Many simply want to get from trade-in to trade-in, say every 3 to 5 years... They change the oil at a given interval. No sweat. But, these trucks can get to far longer lives. If that's your thinking then oil analysis and changing oil when the chemistry calls for it should be part of your plan. Another element of such a plan should be better filtration and maybe a bypass filter installation. Another piece of long lived trucks should be changing out lubricants shortly after delivery (this to get out manufacturing debris). Finally, I'd take the truck out on the road and get it good and warmed up and stay at power for a couple hours, this to drive moisture out of the various nooks and crannies including the multitude of electrical plugs.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I plan on using this truck as a wonderful workhorse for years. Amzoil signature series 5w-30 oil and filter change every 5000mi give or take. I think it's overkill and I'm throwing some money away for peace of mind just as I think bothering with oil analysis instead of just changing it is hobbyist tinkering and also a waste of money. You have to package and mail off a sample that you pay to have analyzed. Everyone gets the same results and seems surprised.
Sponsored