Powerboost TSB Harsh 1-3 upshift

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Has anyone felt this on a 22? Im trying to determine if mine shifting from 1-3 almost instantly is the "harsh" shift you all are talking about. I can try to feather the acceleration but it is like 2nd doesnt even exist on my 22 PB.
Yes, my truck is a 2022 built in January, and it's not too smooth.
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Not the same truck exactly (5.0) but mine smoothed out considerably after 5K miles. I barely feel the 1-3 shift now. Maybe those adaptive transmission tables got adjusted, not sure.

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat 502A PB BAP
Has anyone felt this on a 22? Im trying to determine if mine shifting from 1-3 almost instantly is the "harsh" shift you all are talking about. I can try to feather the acceleration but it is like 2nd doesnt even exist on my 22 PB.
It’s not the standard skip shift ‘feature’ with routine transition you’re describing, but when the character of that shift is noticeable “harsh” or rough compared to other gear‘s shift character/ quality. Largely due to PCM programming not timing events well.

as far as getting 2nd to engage, feathering is the wrong direction. You have to to be at a higher throttle setting for it to use 2nd or in other modes, like tow.

skip shift is an unfortunate creation going back 25 years that since geniuses cooked up as an EPA fuel saving measure that is enabled when driving more gingerly. Anyone who had a GM with a 6spd manual in the 90’s knows the joy of hitting that 1-4 lockout. 5 minutes later you’re under the car unplugging the lockout solenoid. Fortunately the modern versions are much improved .

Last edited:

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Pm me if you want to explore updating the module(s) yourself. I don't live in Houston but I'm not far away.

With your VIN I could at least send you a list of all the updates that your truck is eligible for.
Snake, awesome youre helping folks out. Thanks. Curious - do you have a website link we could check on our own? I finally received my first OTA update on my job 2 '21 build. I'd love to know what updates I am missing.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Snake, awesome youre helping folks out. Thanks. Curious - do you have a website link we could check on our own? I finally received my first OTA update on my job 2 '21 build. I'd love to know what updates I am missing.
What did you have to do to finally get an update??

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Not a web site unfortunately.
If you have license for FDRS (Ford Diagnostic and Repair System), you can run it against a VIN and it will look in the AsBuilt records of that truck specifically and then provide access to all the updates available.

Obviously since I wouldn't be plugged into your truck, I could only provide you a screenshot of the updates. If FDRS is plugged into your truck it can apply the updates as well.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
What did you have to do to finally get an update??
Not sure. Nothing intentional. Although, now thinking about it, coincidentally, I disconnected the battery for the first time this week to install a new air intake system. Suppose it's possible the disconnect/reconnect of the 12V battery somehow unplugged the OTA logjam.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Not a web site unfortunately.
If you have license for FDRS (Ford Diagnostic and Repair System), you can run it against a VIN and it will look in the AsBuilt records of that truck specifically and then provide access to all the updates available.

Obviously since I wouldn't be plugged into your truck, I could only provide you a screenshot of the updates. If FDRS is plugged into your truck it can apply the updates as well.
Ah FDRS thanks.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not sure. Nothing intentional. Although, now thinking about it, coincidentally, I disconnected the battery for the first time this week to install a new air intake system. Suppose it's possible the disconnect/reconnect of the 12V battery somehow unplugged the OTA logjam.
Interesting maybe I’ll give it a try! Did you have to reset anything or put in codes when you reconnected? I had an old Honda that used to act up when I did that

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Interesting maybe I’ll give it a try! Did you have to reset anything or put in codes when you reconnected? I had an old Honda that used to act up when I did that
No. But, it's a powerboost so, things may be different for standard ecoboost/coyotes. The dash and all were still powered by the hybrid battery (initially at least). It is odd and unsettling seeing things still powered when disconnecting the battery.

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
The PB has two 12 Volt batteries.

The typical one under the hood, and a smaller one under the rear seat.

So, trying to reset/reboot a PB may be more difficult than just disconnecting the under-hood battery.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Noticed something yesterday, don't know of it was happenstance. Experienced a noticeable clunk in upshift from 1-3. Wondering if there is any relation between the learning tables and transmission modes. Meaning, I wonder if there are separate learning tables for each drive mode. Reasoning below.

I've been diligent the past few months to drive in Eco mode/2H to spare on gas, with occasional switches to sport mode for fun moments.

At the time the clunk happened, I had just started to drive, forgotten to change to eco, and the truck was in normal/4A. Feel like maybe the ECU was expecting the load of 2H and did not shift optimally because it's spent time learning in 2H instead of 4A(?). Side note, my shifts have always been exceptionally rough in sport/4A mode but I've grown used to it given the purpose of the mode.

Just hypothesizing here. Anyone know if the software considers transmission modes in its shift points and learned behaviors? Not an expert here but, I imagine shift points would need to be different between 2- and 4-wheel drive modes given differences of load on the engine.

Last edited:

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Noticed something yesterday, don't know of it was happenstance. Experienced a noticeable clunk in upshift from 1-3. Wondering if there is any relation between the learning tables and transmission modes. Meaning, I wonder if there are separate learning tables for each drive mode. Reasoning below.

I've been diligent the past few months to drive in Eco mode/2H to spare on gas, with occasional switches to sport mode for fun moments.

At the time the clunk happened, I had just started to drive, forgotten to change to eco, and the truck was in normal/4A. Feel like maybe the ECU was expecting the load of 2H and did not shift optimally because it's spent time learning in 2H instead of 4A(?). Side note, my shifts have always been exceptionally rough in sport/4A mode but I've grown used to it given the purpose of the mode.

Just hypothesizing here. Anyone know if the software considers transmission modes in its shift points and learned behaviors? Not an expert here but, I imagine shift points would need to be different between 2- and 4-wheel drive modes given differences of load on the engine.
Not sure how the software is worked out, but most guys on here, myself included, feel the shifting in Eco mode is significantly smoother than in Normal.

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat 502A PB BAP
Not sure how the software is worked out, but most guys on here, myself included, feel the shifting in Eco mode is significantly smoother than in Normal.
^^^ 100%. Posted same about the night and day difference in Eco I found. Shifting almost imperceptible at times, everything seems a little slower in Eco…aka Chill mode.

And happy to add with a bit more learning standard mode has improved.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
I actually dread updates at times because just when my transmission starts to to come not noticeable I get and update and then I can feel that low shifting again..

That said the last two updates to turn on trailers assist with stickers and allowing use of the rear cameras while driving was very welcomed!
Sponsored