PowerBoost Transmission tech manual error

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I have gone around the block with Ford over a noise occuring when the ambient temperature gets low. Specifically a noise would occur on start up until the transmission had warmed enough, something like 4-10 minutes. I believe the cause has now been found. Turns out that when changing transmission oil & filter, oil also empties the lines to the oil cooler in the front of the engine compartment. Effectively draining 6 1/2 quarts of transmission oil instead of just the expected 5 quarts in the pan. Thus when refilling the transmission after a drain & filter change, 6 1/2 quarts of ULV is needed, not 5 quarts as specified in the Ford Tech Manual Procedure. It is notable that this only shows up as the noise of an oil starved bearing or pump when oil is cold soaked. Initially this happened to me around 15ºF and this morning at around 35ºF after another oil & filter change. I've had the oil & filter changed twice now and in each case the fix was to add about 1 1/2 quarts of transmission (ULV) oil subsequent to the 5 quarts called for in the Ford Shop Manual. For you Ford folks that monitor this site: You have an error in your tech manual procedures. It appears that it is unique to the PowerBoost F-150. This error should be immediately changed.
Sponsored