Sponsored

Powerboost Things to consider-After Purchase

TXSTEEL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'm averging over 22 mpg over 7000 miles and that is computer numbers which have averaged about 0.4 mpg over calculated. Trip from Dallas to Galveston I averaged 23.5 while pushing 80 mph. One stretch I averaged ~65 mph over a 100 miles and I was getting 26.5 mpg.

I went from a 2012 Tundra to a 2022 platinum PB and my insurance went up about $500 a year. I also have two teenage boys on my insurance.
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Regarding your first point, of you check Fuelly, the Powerboost is the best option for fuel economy based on user reported data. None of them are matching the EPA sticker, but the Powerboost has the highest average. It's followed closely by the 2.7, which I feel matches Ford's actual ratings. Unfortunately, Fuelly did something with their power train/engine info and you can only really filter based on 2021 data as 2022 doesn't have the same engine choices for some reason.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
It may not be yet, but something to consider. My wife works in insurance and she is having issues finding insurance for people with hybrids, solar panels, home batteries, etc. The fire departments are being required to have special procedures for these situations. Smaller departments (or voluntary fire departments) may have issue meeting these requirements.
Living in Massachusetts when I asked my insurance agent about my homeowners insurance covering the solar panels I put in my roof he told me it was considered attached to the structure and was covered at no additional cost

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
"Insurance Agent: "Heard you bought a Hybrid?"
Us: "Yes sir..."
Insurance Agent: "Welllllll I have some bad news for yo..........."
Us: "....I park outside........"
Insurance Agent: "Oh? Well... erm.... you have a good day...."
"
Sorry, that last line is wrong. Should read:

Insurance Agent: "Oh? Well, in that case we're going to charge you more for parking outside instead of in a garage."

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
Insurance Agent: "Oh? Well, in that case we're going to charge you more for parking outside instead of in a garage."
LOL exactly, higher risk of cat theft

Sponsored

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Pretty sure F150 insurance is high because they are easy to steal. They also have the most stolen cats.

In my experience there is no cost difference between insuring a $70K car vs. a $20K car. I've swapped back and forth serval times and there was never much difference for the same coverage.

Cheapest car to insure was a Corvette. They are barely driven by mostly elderly men and as such have insurance rates cheaper than a Civic. Not joking here.

OneFiddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB BAP
I got a hybrid discount on my insurance. I pay less than an all gas F150.

My New Baby

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
I went from a 2011 Lariat Ecoboost to a 2022 Lariat Powerboost and my insurance went up $300/year.
As for milage, I'm getting around 16mpg with the new truck vs 15mpg with old truck in town. Haven't had the new truck on the highway much (yet), but the one time I did, I kept it at 70-75 mph and got almost 30mpg.
I'm planning a trip to Wisconcin in may pulling a 6000 lb trailer. That should tell me if the extra money for the Powerboost was worth it or not. The 2011 got 12mpg pulling the same trailer in the mountains.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I got a hybrid discount on my insurance. I pay less than an all gas F150.
Who do you have insuring your truck? I have USAA and the 6mo. premium is painful to say the least.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I went from a 2011 Lariat Ecoboost to a 2022 Lariat Powerboost and my insurance went up $300/year.
As for milage, I'm getting around 16mpg with the new truck vs 15mpg with old truck in town. Haven't had the new truck on the highway much (yet), but the one time I did, I kept it at 70-75 mph and got almost 30mpg.
I'm planning a trip to Wisconcin in may pulling a 6000 lb trailer. That should tell me if the extra money for the Powerboost was worth it or not. The 2011 got 12mpg pulling the same trailer in the mountains.
16mpg with a PB? That's strange. I would have to keep it in sport mode and blast from light to light to try and get it that low. 20mpg is not hard to reach at all.

Sponsored

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
16mpg with a PB? That's strange. I would have to keep it in sport mode and blast from light to light to try and get it that low. 20mpg is not hard to reach at all.

Yeah, I agree that does seem strange. In almost all circumstances (with the exception of cold weather and/or very short trips) I get much better mileage around town. I typically get 21-25 city and around 20-21 highway (~75 mph)....Maybe that's atypical?

My New Baby

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
I think it may because of my altitude. I'm at a mile high. I also only have 600 miles on the truck.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Yeah, I agree that does seem strange. In almost all circumstances (with the exception of cold weather and/or very short trips) I get much better mileage around town. I typically get 21-25 city and around 20-21 highway (~75 mph)....Maybe that's atypical?
That's my range not babying at all. If I take it easy, which is for me is difficult, then it rises higher.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
That's my range not babying at all. If I take it easy, which is for me is difficult, then it rises higher.
Full disclosure- I've got 34's on mine (5 lbs. more per corner)- so I'm down about 1 mpg from the stock Hankooks. Also- looks like you're in Florida- here in Ohio much of that history was temps in the 40-50's which my truck definitely doesn't like as much as the 60-70's we've had here the past week or so.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I think it may because of my altitude. I'm at a mile high. I also only have 600 miles on the truck.
Hadn't thought of altitude for mpg, but I'm sure it's colder than Fla., so less electric only and more engine warming time for you. Perhaps if you drove around town long enough it would improve.
Sponsored