Sponsored

Powerboost squeak

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
The pedestrian sounder beeps when in reverse and makes a gods awful fake engine sound up to 20-25 mph. One of the first paid mods I did on mine was the speaker bypass.
I hate the noise but I'm slowly getting used to it. 20 year-ago me would have said fuck it, but too much to lose in my later life.

'Oh, you hit an underage nun carrying triplet baby seals, AND you disabled a safety device??..'
Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
The only sound my PB makes is a very faint whistle when it up-shifts (turbos I assume). I only hear it some of the time, and only at slow speeds.

Wolverine7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2023 Tesla Model Y LR
My 2021 PB used to have the squeak issue. There are some other threads that talk about it here as well. One of the common problems is what they call an exhaust heat exchanger extender valve that makes the squeak. When the truck goes in/out of hybrid mode, there is a diversion of coolant fluid to the battery packs. The chirp/squeak right as RPMs go to 0.0 is a sign that you might need this replaced.

I finally got the dealer to hear and acknowledge it, and they replaced under warranty a couple months ago. Dealer commented that the part was more expensive than he expected (I think ~ $1200), but it was replaced under warranty. No issues since then and enjoying the silent transitions back and forth from 0 RPM :)

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F150 Screw, 2019 Camaro ZLE
Occupation
Engineer
Check your axle bolts if you have the 3/4 float axle. The noise will sound like a baby pterodactyl after a while, particularly under slight electric accel/decel. It gets worse over time.

Fairlanefan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum High, FX4, Max Tow
I am pretty sure my chirp is the wastegate linkage.

I tried some dry graphite lube on the linkage today. I will let you know if I hear it again.

Sponsored

Fairlanefan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum High, FX4, Max Tow
Heard it again…. It’s pretty frequent.

CLT-PB

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4, 1974 Chevy C20
Mine has been making the squeak since I got it (only 700 miles ago). I took it in this week and showed the service manager a video, and gave them the part name and number that people have been citing on the forums (exhaust heat exchanger valve or whatever). Manager said the tech couldn't hear the noise, so I sent them video of it clearly audible. I talked to them today and he said the tech heard it and they have determined it is "normal hybrid operation" bc other PBs on the lot make the same noise. I told him to have them specifically get under the truck and listen at the exhaust where I told them, which they're supposedly doing today. We'll see, but I'm not optimistic they'll do anything. I may just have to live with it, which is not cool for a $70K truck.

Jeff1779

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 powerboost
My 2021 PB used to have the squeak issue. There are some other threads that talk about it here as well. One of the common problems is what they call an exhaust heat exchanger extender valve that makes the squeak. When the truck goes in/out of hybrid mode, there is a diversion of coolant fluid to the battery packs. The chirp/squeak right as RPMs go to 0.0 is a sign that you might need this replaced.

I finally got the dealer to hear and acknowledge it, and they replaced under warranty a couple months ago. Dealer commented that the part was more expensive than he expected (I think ~ $1200), but it was replaced under warranty. No issues since then and enjoying the silent transitions back and forth from 0 RPM :)
I had the same issue I think around 30,000. Mine was the heat exchanger but other found it was the turbo actuator. Hope you get it fixed!

Last edited:

ProHERO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost
There’s a couple threads regarding this issue. It’s more than likely one or both of your wastegate actuator arms. If you take a took at your turbos with the ICE on then when it switches to electric and squeaks, it’s the wastegate actuator arm. I took my PB to the dealer a couple times only to be told it’s a normal operating characteristic. One time they threw some grease on it and the noise came back a couple days later. Unfortunately it might be a noise you will have to live with.

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
I have had the sound for 8-10 month. Started a little over a year in. Began out of the blue one day while I was letting her run to hear the radio while I wiped her down. Truck runs fine and coolant levels remain stable. It comes and goes with weather and how warn the engine is.

I have Geico mechanical breakdown coverage for 7/70, Premium care for 8/100 and road side assistance through both Ford and AA so I am letting it roll for now. May bring it up at an upcoming service visit to document it but I don't expect them to be able to easily replicate it or start throwing parts at it without some discussion.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CLT-PB

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine is the exhaust exchange thing that has been discussed previously. It took some convincing, but the dealer is replacing it Tuesday. At first they said they didn’t hear it, then they said it’s normal. Then I told them to check that specific part and they agreed to replace it. Hopefully this fixes it.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems

CLT-PB

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m curious. Keep us posted if it fixes it.
Well, now for the last several days my truck has not made the squeak at all, after consistently making the noise for the first 1,500 or so miles of driving it. My wife drove it this weekend to tow horses, so maybe she accidentally fixed it. I don’t know what to make of it.

I cancelled my appointment and am gonna drive it for another week and see if it comes back. If the problem seems to have fixed itself, I don’t want to tempt fate and have them put on a new part that itself could be faulty since it seems like a good number of these parts make the squeak. You think that’s the right call?

Jeff1779

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 powerboost
Hopefully it stays gone for good. Mine has been good since the part was changed. I heard it was an updated part. For a while they were backordered because so many were failing. I think the majority of those were from them leaking coolant and some for the noise. No harm in waiting I guess.
Sponsored