Sponsored

Powerboost squeak normal?

ProHERO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost
So a couple weeks ago I noticed a squeak when going from ICE to electric. Immediately I knew it was the exhaust heat exchanger. No leaks or codes thrown, just the annoying noise. I scheduled an appointment at the dealer to have it checked out and a couple days later they called and said everything is in normal operating condition. I have 3 different clips of the noise on 3 different days but of course they don’t want to hear them. Attached is one of them so I’m not sure how this noise is considered normal.

Sponsored

bluebeeryale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I have a squeak in the opposite transition: battery -> ICE. I have not yet taken to the dealership, but I pity the person there who tries to tell me that is “normal.”

Fox146

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
My 2021 has recently started doing this as well. There are some others here in the forum with similar issue, seems it may be related to a coolant heat exchanger valve on the exhaust ( might have a slightly different name).

OP
OP

ProHERO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a squeak in the opposite transition: battery -> ICE. I have not yet taken to the dealership, but I pity the person there who tries to tell me that is “normal.”
Now that you mention it, I have a squeak as well when going from battery to ICE as well, but not as pronounced as ICE to battery. I bet if I go back to the dealer to have them start a couple of their Powerboosts they won’t be making the same noise mine makes.

OP
OP

ProHERO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My 2021 has recently started doing this as well. There are some others here in the forum with similar issue, seems it may be related to a coolant heat exchanger valve on the exhaust ( might have a slightly different name).
I believe that’s the issue with mine. Every time it opens and closes it’ll squeak. I’m thinking the dealer doesn’t want to touch it since I’m not throwing any codes. Eventually it will and I’ll get overheating messages then go into limp home mode.

Sponsored

HANCOCK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 powerboost
Yes definitely the sounds coming from the heat exchanger Have the same problem took me some time to figure out where it was coming from .Had to have someone step on the gas and let off the gas to make the sound. Servo in the heat exchanger. right now i Do not have any time to bring it to the dealer. One of many problems I have . There was someone on this Forum I'm not sure who it was had theirs replaced and it Solve the problem

Ford F-150 Powerboost squeak normal? 1644978318697

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Several fellas had their exhaust heat exchanger (mid pipe assembly) replaced when the bad batch of leakers popped up suddenly about a year ago. Ford hadn't yet made the plastic coolant tubes available separately, so the complete assembly was replaced instead of the $5 part.

The malfunctioning servo/valve eventually reared its ugly head, but Ford hasn't found a way to address it as a serviceable part. So again, requiring the whole assembly to be swapped.

I don't think a noisy (squeek) valve is guaranteed to malfunction and/or throw a code. Similar to a noisy blend door that continues to function without ever hanging open or shut. But I'd certainly push for a replacement if I was under warranty.

OP
OP

ProHERO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes definitely the sounds coming from the heat exchanger Have the same problem took me some time to figure out where it was coming from .Had to have someone step on the gas and let off the gas to make the sound. Servo in the heat exchanger. right now i Do not have any time to bring it to the dealer. One of many problems I have . There was someone on this Forum I'm not sure who it was had theirs replaced and it Solve the problem

1644978318697.png
I would have thought Ford would have gotten their act together with all the issues and complaints with the heat exchanger that they’d have solved the squeak too. It’s hard for me to believe the dealer said they couldn’t reproduce the squeak when it happens every single cold start. Since there is nothing wrong mechanically, they probably don’t want to touch it.

OP
OP

ProHERO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several fellas had their exhaust heat exchanger (mid pipe assembly) replaced when the bad batch of leakers popped up suddenly about a year ago. Ford hadn't yet made the plastic coolant tubes available separately, so the complete assembly was replaced instead of the $5 part.

The malfunctioning servo/valve eventually reared its ugly head, but Ford hasn't found a way to address it as a serviceable part. So again, requiring the whole assembly to be swapped.

I don't think a noisy (squeek) valve is guaranteed to malfunction and/or throw a code. Similar to a noisy blend door that continues to function without ever hanging open or shut. But I'd certainly push for a replacement if I was under warranty.
I have yet to hear of anyone getting a malfunction or code after hearing a squeak. I’ve heard of a few people on here that have gotten the mid pipe replaced for just the noise and have not had an issue since. If I recall correctly when I first picked up the truck it was a completely silent transition from ICE to electric and vice versa. I’ll go back to the dealer and might have to be there when they look at it to ensure they are hearing the same thing I am.

Broomsky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PB FX4 Avalanche
Not sure if my video will upload correctly, but I am having what I think to be a similar squeak. Is this the same as what you are experiencing? It happens every time the ICE kicks in or when it cuts back to EV mode. Don’t have to apply the brakes to have it happen and it occurs every day regardless if it’s hot or cold. Dealer originally told me it was brakes from sitting on the lot for a month but that’s BS and I thought someone on another post had a similar sound and said it was an actuator?

Sponsored

OP
OP

ProHERO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not sure if my video will upload correctly, but I am having what I think to be a similar squeak. Is this the same as what you are experiencing? It happens every time the ICE kicks in or when it cuts back to EV mode. Don’t have to apply the brakes to have it happen and it occurs every day regardless if it’s hot or cold. Dealer originally told me it was brakes from sitting on the lot for a month but that’s BS and I thought someone on another post had a similar sound and said it was an actuator?

Yes, that is the same noise as what I’m getting. Just like you, I’m getting squeaks regardless of going to ICE or electric but it is more distinguishable when going to electric. When I get up to operating temperature, the noise can be barely heard. I can’t recall if it was a completely silent transition when I first got the truck as I always had the windows up and the radio on but I don’t think the squeak was there before. I’m thinking the dealer won’t touch it unless they know something is broken or I’m throwing a code. I might try my luck with a different dealer and be present so there is no question the squeak is there.

Broomsky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, that is the same noise as what I’m getting. Just like you, I’m getting squeaks regardless of going to ICE or electric but it is more distinguishable when going to electric. When I get up to operating temperature, the noise can be barely heard. I can’t recall if it was a completely silent transition when I first got the truck as I always had the windows up and the radio on but I don’t think the squeak was there before. I’m thinking the dealer won’t touch it unless they know something is broken or I’m throwing a code. I might try my luck with a different dealer and be present so there is no question the squeak is there.

Yeah, I have just over 1K miles and asked the selling dealer what it was and they gave me the bs excuse it was the brakes wearing off the surface rust. Mine happens regardless of the car being warm or cold and happens consistently to where there is no way I couldn't duplicate it. I have another appointment I made for next week with another dealership and requested I show them the sound before leaving it. It was the first thing my wife asked me when I brought it home "why is it squeaking".. which that sucked to be her first impression of a $65K truck.

The more I listen to your video--yours sounds slightly different than mine so maybe mine is this actuator that I read from another post and not the heat exchanger item. Either way, I am hoping someone chimes in and says OH that is 100% the .... lol (I can hope I get a response like that)

OP
OP

ProHERO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I have just over 1K miles and asked the selling dealer what it was and they gave me the bs excuse it was the brakes wearing off the surface rust. Mine happens regardless of the car being warm or cold and happens consistently to where there is no way I couldn't duplicate it. I have another appointment I made for next week with another dealership and requested I show them the sound before leaving it. It was the first thing my wife asked me when I brought it home "why is it squeaking".. which that sucked to be her first impression of a $65K truck.

The more I listen to your video--yours sounds slightly different than mine so maybe mine is this actuator that I read from another post and not the heat exchanger item. Either way, I am hoping someone chimes in and says OH that is 100% the .... lol (I can hope I get a response like that)
I know I have heard of different terms such as actuator/servo/bypass valve to describe the mechanism in the heat exchanger. I’ll be interested to know what the dealer says about yours. Let me know how the appointment goes.

Fox146

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
I’m following along as well. Mine squea isn’t as bad right now, and I’m already dealing with a couple other things. Don’t want to overload the the dealer lol, but when/if it gets worse it’s going in

Broomsky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I know I have heard of different terms such as actuator/servo/bypass valve to describe the mechanism in the heat exchanger. I’ll be interested to know what the dealer says about yours. Let me know how the appointment goes.
This was the forum post where I got the idea of the actuator. I wrote the part number down and printed the post so I can straight ask the tech “check this exact part to see if this is the issue” lol literally trying to make it as easy as possible. Otherwise, love the truck just the squeak has to go as none of the 4 in our work fleet that are all PB’s have this issue.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/squeak-chirp-going-in-to-electric-mode.9452/
Sponsored