Sponsored

Powerboost questions

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Not hybrid stuff but I didn't know this. My 18 didn't have it not sure about the 20s.

Note:When active drive assist is active, in
certain crash or near crash-like situations,
such as an air bag deployment or hitting a
road obstacle, camera data may be
recorded through the vehicle event data
recorder. See Event Data (page 27).
Note: No data is recorded under normal
driving conditions.
Someone will figure out how to hack it for some angry girlfriend/wife/husband/congressman.
Sponsored

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
As Terry already stated.

Also the amount will not be huge and will be dependent on your driving style, how much regeneration you get etc. I've had several early hybrids and you can get some pretty good distance on just ele but it is really not a large enough battery to go more than a few miles with easy accelation.

The take offs on ele will help a great deal with fuel consumption and will at times, while under heavier demand (uphills etc), also have gas power and ele at the same time, again, to help with fuel consumption.

I believe I also read the start stop feature the older F150s had would be different on the hybrid. Still turn off when stopped but take offs would be primarily battery then engine, won't use the starter.

That is just some of the stuff I have picked up.
There is no start-stop per se, I mean the engine does shut off when you're at lights, and if you take off pretty gently you can get to around 11 to 20 miles an hour depending on grade. Best thing is to accelerate 5 mi over speed limit then gently tap on the brakes to kick it back into electric, you can use the drive for a mile to several miles depending on grade and how much you're using your HVAC. Turning up the fan to Max usually kicks the engine on a lot more. I've gotten around 30 mpg in City, of course that depends on several situations, but it's an awesome vehicle overall. Especially sitting in the parking lot with the HVAC blasting ice Cold Air with the engine off. Ice will kick on for about 42 seconds every 16 or so minutes.

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP
My question is about the powerboost itself.. Will it run on Just electric, say city driving, and if so, how far?Seems to be alot of mixed info on the net about it.
Mike, my experience living in metro Atlanta GA is as follows.
I believe the climate control is on is own belt drive that is separate from the engine. The AC runs just fine all the time. It does not behave like the auto-stop engines that limit the AC when the engine is not running. Absolutely no issue here on hot summer days.

use of electric only drive does not take you very far. It is about 1 mile give or take. It does switch back and forth quite a bit. It is not designed like a "normal" hybrid with large batteries that can go 30 plus miles on battery alone. Engine on and/or braking, charges the battery, then switches to electric for a bit. I get about 25% of my miles on electric in suburban traffic. On a rare good day I can get 33% electric. the sweet spot MPH wise is around 35 to 55.

I believe the PowerBoost design it to use the electric motor to boost the engine performance giving a little better MPGs and power vs. get about 50% more MPGs.

hope that helps.

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
My question is about the powerboost itself.. Will it run on Just electric, say city driving, and if so, how far?Seems to be alot of mixed info on the net about it.
I know you've already got pages of answers. Bottom line, the answer to your question in no. The Powerboost is piss poor at being an electric truck.

While the Powerboost is a hybrid truck, the hybrid system is far more for power boosting than for fuel efficiency.

I have found the best thing about the truck for me is being able to sit and "idle" endlessly without hardly using the I.C.E. and all the while having full electrical power (especially for the AC). In fact, Ford recently said they're stopping Explorer hybrid sales to the public and only selling to the police for this very reason. The police often idle endlessly.
Sponsored