First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired
My question is about the powerboost itself.. Will it run on Just electric, say city driving, and if so, how far?Seems to be alot of mixed info on the net about it.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
My question is about the powerboost itself.. Will it run on Just electric, say city driving, and if so, how far?Seems to be alot of mixed info on the net about it.
Do you mean a switch to force electric? I am not sure that is a good idea for safety reasons like if you are stuck in an intersection you need to accelerate...

But yeah info is all over the place and I can't remember where but I believe someone mentioned that if you are not a leadfoot, you will be MOSTLY electric driving in city up to about 35-40mph? It was mentioned somewhere here or on the [checks to make sure no one is watching me] other forum.

jabrego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4X4 Lariat 501A Sport
Occupation
Engineer
There’s a video on the forum under the title “ interview with f-150 lead engineer “ where he talks about driving in just electric.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
As Terry already stated.

Also the amount will not be huge and will be dependent on your driving style, how much regeneration you get etc. I've had several early hybrids and you can get some pretty good distance on just ele but it is really not a large enough battery to go more than a few miles with easy accelation.

The take offs on ele will help a great deal with fuel consumption and will at times, while under heavier demand (uphills etc), also have gas power and ele at the same time, again, to help with fuel consumption.

I believe I also read the start stop feature the older F150s had would be different on the hybrid. Still turn off when stopped but take offs would be primarily battery then engine, won't use the starter.

That is just some of the stuff I have picked up.

OP
OP
mike001va

mike001va

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired
As Terry already stated.

Also the amount will not be huge and will be dependent on your driving style, how much regeneration you get etc. I've had several early hybrids and you can get some pretty good distance on just ele but it is really not a large enough battery to go more than a few miles with easy accelation.

The take offs on ele will help a great deal with fuel consumption and will at times, while under heavier demand (uphills etc), also have gas power and ele at the same time, again, to help with fuel consumption.

I believe I also read the start stop feature the older F150s had would be different on the hybrid. Still turn off when stopped but take offs would be primarily battery then engine, won't use the starter.

That is just some of the stuff I have picked up.
so what does the AC run off of.. only in engine, or off the battery when engine is in pause?

Sponsored

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
The battery is pretty small at 1.5kw. Some electric bicycles are over 1kw now.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
so what does the AC run off of.. only in engine, or off the battery when engine is in pause?
I haven't read all those details yet. Engine won't be off that long to be honest. The manual is up and ready for download, I need to read some more of it. Much of it will be the same as the 18 so I can skip to the good parts.

I know the steering is electric but don't know about the compressor yet. Would be nice if it was electric too.

OP
OP
mike001va

mike001va

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired
I haven't read all those details yet. Engine won't be off that long to be honest. The manual is up and ready for download, I need to read some more of it. Much of it will be the same as the 18 so I can skip to the good parts.

I know the steering is electric but don't know about the compressor yet. Would be nice if it was electric too.
Had a friend who came down to visit..has a 2019.. every light we stop at..the ac turn off with the engine...ugh..my question pertains to rolling in traffic and under electric power..what does the ac do

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
The battery is pretty small at 1.5kw. Some electric bicycles are over 1kw now.
He he, my Mountain Bike has a 750 Watt battery on it.
I continue to wonder WHY FoMoCo chose to install such a TINY little electric battery in our new trucks. I am sure there is some compelling reason, but it does seem incredibly small..

Sponsored

OP
OP
mike001va

mike001va

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired
I continue to wonder WHY FoMoCo chose to install such a TINY little electric battery in our new trucks. I am sure there is some compelling reason, but it does seem incredibly small..
Lol..we call those DUI bikes down here

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Weight and cost.

Plus, it's a hybrid not an EV. They just needed enough size to use for short times and have enough storage to capture engine and regenerative energy and then spit it back out.

In out, in out, in out... hummm

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Had a friend who came down to visit..has a 2019.. every light we stop at..the ac turn off with the engine...ugh..my question pertains to rolling in traffic and under electric power..what does the ac do
That is a great question! The the auto-stop kills the engine the A/C compressor in my ecoboost obviously turns off but the fans keep blowing and getting slower.

But the hybrid battery must be strong enough to run the A/C with compressor right? Otherwise that would mean in Phoenix you basically will always run on gas in city driving.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
This is from the manual, looks like the AC is off the engine.

Conditions that may cause the gasoline
engine to start or remain running include:
• Considerable vehicle acceleration.
• Driving uphill.
• The high voltage battery charge level
is low.
• Heating or cooling the vehicle interior
in high or low outside temperatures.
• The gasoline engine is below normal
operating temperature.
• Towing a trailer.
• Certain selectable drive modes could
cause the engine to run.

What is Low Engine Use Mode
Low engine use mode maintains proper
engine lubrication at sufficient temperature
and activates when you drive your vehicle
with limited engine operation.

OP
OP
mike001va

mike001va

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired
That is a great question! The the auto-stop kills the engine the A/C compressor in my ecoboost obviously turns off but the fans keep blowing and getting slower.

But the hybrid battery must be strong enough to run the A/C with compressor right? Otherwise that would mean in Phoenix you basically will always run on gas in city driving.
As here.. We have very few day without the need of ac..
This is from the manual, looks like the AC is off the engine.

Conditions that may cause the gasoline
engine to start or remain running include:
• Considerable vehicle acceleration.
• Driving uphill.
• The high voltage battery charge level
is low.
• Heating or cooling the vehicle interior
in high or low outside temperatures.
• The gasoline engine is below normal
operating temperature.
• Towing a trailer.
• Certain selectable drive modes could