Powerboost probably slower than Ecoboost

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
I couldn’t imagine a Whipple on my 5.0 Coyote. I’d love it though! I’ve gotten on it twice and both times it made the bed hop and spun wheels to the point traction control had to kick in. You’d have to 4WD launch it or ease into the pedal in 2WD.

I am ecstatic with this engine stock. Ford really worked some magic on this 4th generation of the 5.0L. They brought the meat of the torque band lower in the revs with lower lift profile on the cams while simultaneously adding top end horsepower by extending our redline and giving the VCT more actuation like the 1st generation version. Really improved both low end and top end over the 3rd gen used in 2020, can’t ask more than that on a naturally aspirated mill. The only thing is the 400 horsepower is @6,000 RPM, so I am not sure why Sport Mode has it go right up to 7,000 RPM. It feels like it wants to go to 8,000! Power doesn’t seem to fall off so it must carry that 400 horsepower up to 7,000 RPM.
Shoosh, don’t let ‘em in on our secret

It’s a shame the new Coyote is a oil drinking, low rpm=low torque, auto start/stop, cylinder deactivating, gas guzzling dog😜
Sponsored

OP
OP
dmac

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
I would think a street trim 3.5 would be faster than the pb. I also think There was one in the 11s already. I don’t know of a pb in the 11s yet.

Mpg, generator, good stop/start, less turbo lag is pb selling points. Faster, no

I’d say the pb is faster than a tremor and raptor tho
Yeah, that was kind of my point I was trying to make. If someone wanted to get the faster stock truck, it probably would be a stripper 3.5 (vs stripper PB).

Though I had a PB for a while, and I totally loved the generator, no engine idle, and instant torque in sport mode.

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I couldn’t imagine a Whipple on my 5.0 Coyote. I’d love it though! I’ve gotten on it twice and both times it made the bed hop and spun wheels to the point traction control had to kick in. You’d have to 4WD launch it or ease into the pedal in 2WD.

I am ecstatic with this engine stock. Ford really worked some magic on this 4th generation of the 5.0L. They brought the meat of the torque band lower in the revs with lower lift profile on the cams while simultaneously adding top end horsepower by extending our redline and giving the VCT more actuation like the 1st generation version. Really improved both low end and top end over the 3rd gen used in 2020, can’t ask more than that on a naturally aspirated mill. The only thing is the 400 horsepower is @6,000 RPM, so I am not sure why Sport Mode has it go right up to 7,000 RPM. It feels like it wants to go to 8,000! Power doesn’t seem to fall off so it must carry that 400 horsepower up to 7,000 RPM.
Did you have a 2020 5.0 F150? Mine was a bit soft down low (3.55, 32" tires) and sounded like a diesel with piston slap that was pretty bad between the 1-2 shift. It drank oil too.

I'm not saying this to dog on the 5.0 - I'm glad to hear they improved it. Had I known I would have looked into it when buying my 2022 but my experience left a bad taste.

Gives me more reason to park a s650 5.0 Mustang next to my EcoBoost F150 someday :).

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Did you have a 2020 5.0 F150? Mine was a bit soft down low (3.55, 32" tires) and sounded like a diesel with piston slap that was pretty bad between the 1-2 shift. It drank oil too.

I'm not saying this to dog on the 5.0 - I'm glad to hear they improved it. Had I known I would have looked into it when buying my 2022 but my experience left a bad taste.

Gives me more reason to park a s650 5.0 Mustang next to my EcoBoost F150 someday :).
It is largely a different engine than a 2020 5.0L. Different camshafts, valves, oil pump, VCT’s, throttle body, oil control rings the list goes on. I didn’t own a 2020 but my buddy had a 2018, he actually had a 2018 3.5 EcoBoost and 2018 5.0L at the same time for his roofing company. He had a lot of issues with both engines, it kind of helped sway me to the new ones instead of those years. He does the lease deal so he didn’t care too much, I bought it so when the warranty is up I certainly care lol.

Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost sold, 2023 Tremor 5.0 now
When you compare things always look for the differences. Not all magazines and reviewers test the same way.
Ford F-150 Powerboost probably slower than Ecoboost IMG_1511

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
What's the best way to launch a PB? I mean to launch with the battery at full capacity.

I've been intrested in Livernoise tune but I can't find out if they were able to pull Xtra power from the batteries. Another 20% would be awesome.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Not trying to ruffle feathers, but C&D tested these 2 trucks:

F-150 Tremor Ecoboost with 612lbs of options vs a base 145" 4x4 ecoboost (5562 vs 4950lbs). On heavier 33" off road tires.

F-150 Powerboost with 274 lbs of options vs a base 145" 4x4 Powerboost (5794 vs 5520lbs). On lighter 32" goodyears.

They both got basically idential performance numbers from CarandDriver's testing.

300lbs of added options and 1" larger, heavier tires should make any truck measurably faster.

PB is a great choice, but Ford knew what is was doing sending a high payload/light optioned PB in for testing.

Screenshot_20230318-124116.png

Screenshot_20230318-124113.png
The Powerboost, Tremor, and Raptor are very close together in 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance. They vary in weight and power output, but all 3 benefit from low rear ends. 3.73 for the PB/Tremor and 4.10 for the Raptor. Smoke em if you got em.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Im pretty sure C&D tries different modes, ect to get best times. And they are probably about as accurate as we can get. Maybe a couple tenths variation here and there...

But 300lbs less options and smaller, lighter tires should be close to half a second imo.
The PB still outweighed the Tremor. I don't understand the need for mental gymnastics just to make a guess at the end.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
The PB weighs more, is more powerful, and is considerably quicker than every EB and 5.0 except the Tremor/Raptor/RaptorR. Bonus it gets great gas mileage in all trims. I think it's a wonderful addition to the F-150 family. Ford dominance continues!

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I doubt C&D are monitoring pids though.

This could get you say 60ftlbs less torque off the dig

20230318_160911.jpg

Than this might

20230318_160852.jpg

It's not exactly predictable, based on various conditions, but haven't you ever noticed how your Powerboost sometimes catches you by surprise and you ask yourself "dang, what got into the beast that time?"
Thanks for the info Snake! What brand OBDII are you using? I'm interested in purchasing one to better understand my PB. I plan on towing a 26' 7500lb. GVWR tandem axle RV trailer soon. The more I can understand now, hopefully the better and safer our experience will be when we're far from home.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Thanks for the info Snake! What brand OBDII are you using? I'm interested in purchasing one to better understand my PB. I plan on towing a 26' 7500lb. GVWR tandem axle RV trailer soon. The more I can understand now, hopefully the better and safer our experience will be when we're far from home.
That’s the popular OBDLink MX+. I use it as well, although my dashboards don’t look nearly as good as @Snakebitten

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I doubt C&D are monitoring pids though.

This could get you say 60ftlbs less torque off the dig

20230318_160911.jpg

Than this might

20230318_160852.jpg

It's not exactly predictable, based on various conditions, but haven't you ever noticed how your Powerboost sometimes catches you by surprise and you ask yourself "dang, what got into the beast that time?"
100% that’s why I think “tow/haul” mode is getting the best times. It runs ICE while stationary which allows the state of charge to reach 50% allowing for on demand torque from the electric powertrain, ice at idle also makes sure oil pressure is high enough to bring turbo boost in on throttle input rather than the ecu cutting boost if oil pressure and temp isn’t within normal operating ranges.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
That’s the popular OBDLink MX+. I use it as well, although my dashboards don’t look nearly as good as @Snakebitten
You know that you are more than welcome to my gauges. (dashboard)

I can create an OBDLink export and you can import. (attached below)
Sometimes the scaling will be a little off between two different devices, but easy enough to drag or re-size.

Note that I have to rename the file extension to pdf for the forum to allow the upload. So you would download it and then rename the extension to stg (native format for OBDLink app)

Also note that when you import, you can choose to include the "user defined pid", since my OAR pid is not one that is included with the app.

Attachments

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
You know that you are more than welcome to my gauges. (dashboard)

I can create an OBDLink export and you can import. (attached below)
Sometimes the scaling will be a little off between two different devices, but easy enough to drag or re-size.

Note that I have to rename the file extension to pdf for the forum to allow the upload. So you would download it and then rename the extension to stg (native format for OBDLink app)

Also note that when you import, you can choose to include the "user defined pid", since my OAR pid is not one that is included with the app.
You, sir, are awesome! Thanks!
Sponsored