First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 5.0L Supercab
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
If I don't have a transfer switch yet what can I do in the event we lose power at some point?
This is what I do with a portable generator. The truck would take the place of my portable generator… First, remember to turn off the feed from the street. (The power that comes into your fuse box or breaker box. It’s usually a large rocker switch on the outside of the box. Some boxes can’t be opened without the “main” being turned off.) This isolates your house from the street, it prevents you from back feeding the electrical grid. Then get yourself a heavy duty extension cord and either replace the female end with a male end or splice a male plug onto it at the female end. (That way you haven’t destroyed a perfectly good cord by making it a “double male”.) Use a cord that isn’t insanely too long for the job… meaning if you are only 10 away don’t use a 50 ft extension. Plug in the extension cord to the generator and choose a wall plug that’s on the same side of breaker box as what it is you want to supply power to. In my case, I chose the side that has my furnace. Plug in a TV and a coffee pot and I can stay warm and informed!
Sponsored

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
This is what I do with a portable generator. The truck would take the place of my portable generator… First, remember to turn off the feed from the street. (The power that comes into your fuse box or breaker box. It’s usually a large rocker switch on the outside of the box. Some boxes can’t be opened without the “main” being turned off.) This isolates your house from the street, it prevents you from back feeding the electrical grid. Then get yourself a heavy duty extension cord and either replace the female end with a male end or splice a male plug onto it at the female end. (That way you haven’t destroyed a perfectly good cord by making it a “double male”.) Use a cord that isn’t insanely too long for the job… meaning if you are only 10 away don’t use a 50 ft extension. Plug in the extension cord to the generator and choose a wall plug that’s on the same side of breaker box as what it is you want to supply power to. In my case, I chose the side that has my furnace. Plug in a TV and a coffee pot and I can stay warm and informed!
Double Male plug= date with your maker!

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
hullguy's assertion of a violation of the NEC by removing the neutral-ground bond in the house panel is wrong. So long as the neutral-ground bond is maintained in the truck's generator and the ground to earth in the house is sound, the NEC is complied with. The NEC requires a neutal-ground bond in only one place. Since the PB generator has that and since the earth ground is proper, the NEC is satisfied.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost