Sponsored

PowerBoost primary coolant res level is below minimum

RociPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-F150-XLT-PowerBoost
I noticed this while washing out my engine bay just now, and I am shocked that there isn’t a system prompt when it gets close to the minimum operating level. I assume this is because my exhaust gas heat exchanger has a leak, given how many posts there are about that issue already. hybrid cooling Loop seems to be running normally. How is there a notification pushed to my phone when the washer fluid res is low, but not the main cooling system? Doesn’t make sense, but this is unacceptable on a truck with 24 k miles.
Ford F-150 PowerBoost primary coolant res level is below minimum A4512978-7963-46AC-81D0-46BB3A81A6CF

Ford F-150 PowerBoost primary coolant res level is below minimum 64E33C83-CB91-4BAA-AF59-2C0CD19E3BBE
Sponsored

jeepin95

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502A
I think it is crazy they don't notify on low coolant also. When my heat exchanger was leaking I got a warning that pro power wouldn't work (it wasn't in use) and heard the fan running which I normally don't hear, but no alerts. When I got home I read codes thinking it was a pro power thing and had a pending over temp code twice but hadn't lasted long enough to trigger check engine light. I looked at the coolant level and it was empty then found the leak. The reservoir was empty but still enough in the system because it leaked all night.

OP
OP
RociPB

RociPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-F150-XLT-PowerBoost
I think it is crazy they don't notify on low coolant also. When my heat exchanger was leaking I got a warning that pro power wouldn't work (it wasn't in use) and heard the fan running which I normally don't hear, but no alerts. When I got home I read codes thinking it was a pro power thing and had a pending over temp code twice but hadn't lasted long enough to trigger check engine light. I looked at the coolant level and it was empty then found the leak. The reservoir was empty but still enough in the system because it leaked all night.
That’s interesting that you had PPO error messages because of the coolant issue, because I’ve had intermittent issues where PPO would be totally offline and unable to be reset. That has pretty much stopped and I can’t remember the last time I had a error message. But I’m knocking on wood now because I have a feeling that this problem will rear its ugly head again in the future.

OP
OP
RociPB

RociPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-F150-XLT-PowerBoost
So I think Ford might be seeing my posts or something, because the issue I said was finished happened first thing this morning. No codes, and no way to prove to the ford dealer techs that it’s happening. Really shitty that they can’t believe the word (or photos) of their customers.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost primary coolant res level is below minimum 12FCEB5B-3282-4F60-98AC-0DDB1304CD6D

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I noticed this while washing out my engine bay just now, and I am shocked that there isn’t a system prompt when it gets close to the minimum operating level. I assume this is because my exhaust gas heat exchanger has a leak, given how many posts there are about that issue already. hybrid cooling Loop seems to be running normally. How is there a notification pushed to my phone when the washer fluid res is low, but not the main cooling system? Doesn’t make sense, but this is unacceptable on a truck with 24 k miles.
A4512978-7963-46AC-81D0-46BB3A81A6CF.jpeg

64E33C83-CB91-4BAA-AF59-2C0CD19E3BBE.jpeg
Was this checked at HOT or COLD engine temp? It makes a difference.

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Ford F-150 PowerBoost primary coolant res level is below minimum 1677178784380

I had mine showing low when it was hot, but settled in nicely when it was cold. Which makes absolutely zero sense in my head.

Check it cold. too.

Just because you checked it hot doesn't mean that you may not have an issue, tho.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
A4512978-7963-46AC-81D0-46BB3A81A6CF.jpeg

64E33C83-CB91-4BAA-AF59-2C0CD19E3BBE.jpeg
Interesting how one reservoir is yellow, and the other appears to be orange. Almost looks like different coolant was used.

My MY22 PB looks exactly the same.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Owners manual says to check level cold.

Sponsored

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
My 22 had the exact same issues and I think there is an underlying problem based on what my dealer said. My truck has been in for nearly two weeks waiting on a part to fix the slow leak. The parts are back ordered until mid March and the dealer said that there are hundreds of orders for this part waiting. Something about a heater pipe.

I had the exact symptoms listed above with the first problem being that the pro power would fault out. Then started hearing the engine fan going to full blast and eventually the engine started overheating.

This truck yells at me every 15 sec to keep my eyes on the road, throws a warning every time I put it in reverse with a trailer that reverse breaking is off but it cant Sense something useful like low coolant???

jeepin95

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502A
So I think Ford might be seeing my posts or something, because the issue I said was finished happened first thing this morning. No codes, and no way to prove to the ford dealer techs that it’s happening. Really shitty that they can’t believe the word (or photos) of their customers.

12FCEB5B-3282-4F60-98AC-0DDB1304CD6D.jpeg
I know this has been awhile but this was the message I got back when I had my leak last summer. When I got home and read the costs I had a developing code for over heating that wasn't lighting the MIL because it was intermittent apparently. At the time I guessed that the leak had started at work sometime after lunch, so it hadn't been empty long. I pulled in to the same parking spot I left from to get lunch and probably would have noticed a puddle of coolant since I pull through into the spot. I also didn't have a coolant spot at home in the driveway until the next day after it finished draining. It took right at 1 gallon if I remember correctly to fill back up so I could get it to the dealership.

OP
OP
RociPB

RociPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21-F150-XLT-PowerBoost
The color just seemed odd. Had analysis done on coolant. Here're the results:
Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 3.31.34 AM.png
Great work, getting your coolant tested is probably the easiest and most effective way to determine the integrity of the entire system, especially oil contamination leaking from a failing gasket. My one question now is whether or not they realized that the exhaust gases that flow through the heat exchanger are downstream of the catalyst(s) which burn out pretty much everything except CO2 and CO gas. Another thing worth noting is the relative pressure gradient between the coolant loop fluid and the exhaust gas stream. If the coolant is always at a higher pressure than the exhaust, you would expect leakage to occur in only one direction, and that would also keep the coolant from absorbing exhaust gases as readily. I have not used the heater at all since i discovered this potential issue, I hope that eliminates some of the risk of wearing out the exchanger if its on the verge of failure.
Sponsored