First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
From what I've read, the engine is running when using the generator.. The 400w inverter is different, but anything from the plugs in the bed would require the truck to be running from what I've seen..
Do you know where you read that?

My assumption would be like 05RubiconLJ said, that if the battery is fully charged, and you plug something in with the engine off, the appliance would use the battery alone until the computer decided the battery charge hit a lower threshold that would start the gas engine to charge the battery.
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
From my reading only the non-hybrid engines would have to run. The powerboost will not because it is the only variation with the large battery.

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
Do you know where you read that?

My assumption would be like 05RubiconLJ said, that if the battery is fully charged, and you plug something in with the engine off, the appliance would use the battery alone until the computer decided the battery charge hit a lower threshold that would start the gas engine to charge the battery.
Man, I dunno at this point.. I hope it does work without running the engine..
I mean it has a 1.5kwh battery so it can run a few things for a while..
But who knows.. :)

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
I'm just waiting the epa number to decide if ii worth to pay 5,500.00 for the PB or 3250 for the 3.5 EB. If the epa is about 25 usmpg in town i'll go for the PB. Just remember that you obtain a 2.4 kw generator and with the EB you have to pay 1200 more to add that feature. So the fuel economy will be important.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maybe this will help, main parts below, full article in the link
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a32970167/f-150-generator-pro-power-onboard/

Ford only expects about 10 percent of new F-150s will be hybrids, so it was important to offer Pro Power with the conventional drivetrains. That, Sultana says, was much more complicated. The standard 12-volt electrical architecture couldn't provide what they needed, so Sultana and her team designed a whole new 24-volt electrical system, using two conventional 12-volt batteries in addition to the standard battery.

In addition to those batteries, Pro Power-equipped non-hybrid F-150s get a second alternator. Thus equipped, F-150s with the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6, 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, or 5.0-liter V-8 can power a full tailgating setup with a TV, speakers, and a mini fridge. The generator system is completely separated from the rest of the vehicle's electrical system, adding a layer of safety and ensuring that any Pro Power system problems will not impact the drivability of the truck.

Pro Power is smart. The system can be enabled or monitored through the FordPass smartphone app or via the truck's infotainment system. If you try to pull too much power, the system disables itself and sends you a notification. And on hybrid models, Pro Power will automatically turn on the gasoline engine as needed to ensure consistent power flow without draining the battery. (On non-hybrid F-150s, the engine has to be running for Pro Power to work.)

Surprisingly, the generator system even works while the truck is moving, so you can power your fridge on the way to the tailgate or keep your power tools charged as you drive between job sites. Ford won't comment on how Pro Power use affects fuel economy, but we suspect that keeping power-thirsty items plugged in while driving will lead to a measurable drop in MPG.

When the new F-150 arrives, Pro Power will be available on all grades of F-150—optional on conventional models and standard on all hybrids. Ford expects 17 percent of F-150s will be sold with Pro Power when the redesigned pickup goes on sale this fall.

Sponsored

igor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost
Maybe this will help, main parts below, full article in the link
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a32970167/f-150-generator-pro-power-onboard/

Ford only expects about 10 percent of new F-150s will be hybrids, so it was important to offer Pro Power with the conventional drivetrains.
To me - that's the biggest surprise. Only 10%? Maybe once you start taking fleet into account.....I just expected higher (esp. if you poll the crowd on this forum.....).

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
I am waiting to get a confirmed answer on the gooseneck hitch compatibility with PB before placing an order. I wonder how to get a reliable answer, ideally from Ford itself.
My local dealer couldn't say for sure, but he did sent this schematic and said that the batteries aren't under the bed, so a gooseneck hitch might be possible.

Ford F-150 Powerboost or standard 3.5 1602013628183

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Here is a question, if the system has a 'high voltage air compressor to accommodate engine-off situations' does that mean that when you are idling (say on a job-site working in the cab), the truck turns off and on automatically to support the air-con? I have driven a vehicle with start/stop at lights and such, but never noticed during long idles (while in park) if it cycles through.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
To me - that's the biggest surprise. Only 10%? Maybe once you start taking fleet into account.....I just expected higher (esp. if you poll the crowd on this forum.....).
I agree with you on that!

SBrentnall
Don't know if you have seen these photos of the chassis without the body. To me I don't know why it would be a problem but I don't know what it takes to a goose neck hitch but in the photos it looks like plenty of room. You can see the battery case sits below the cross frame member, I assume that is where a goose neck hitch attaches.

Maybe this will help.

Ford F-150 Powerboost or standard 3.5 2021 F-150-Powerboost-Frame-6

Ford F-150 Powerboost or standard 3.5 2021 F-150-Powerboost-Frame-4

Ford F-150 Powerboost or standard 3.5 2021 F-150-Powerboost-Frame-1-2

Ford F-150 Powerboost or standard 3.5 2021 F-150-Powerboost-Frame-3

Last edited:

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Here is a question, if the system has a 'high voltage air compressor to accommodate engine-off situations' does that mean that when you are idling (say on a job-site working in the cab), the truck turns off and on automatically to support the air-con? I have driven a vehicle with start/stop at lights and such, but never noticed during long idles (while in park) if it cycles through.
Most typical hybrids work that way, extended idles with either the heater or the air conditioning running will kick the engine back on periodically. I assume the PB will be the same.

Sponsored

fg3

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
I really hope that the electric motor assists in smoothing out A.S.S. as opposed to using the starter. One (maybe the only) benefit of the 'mild hybrid' in the RAM is that it makes A.S.S. imperceptible (which you certainly can't say for Ford's current implementation of A.S.S.).

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I really hope that the electric motor assists in smoothing out A.S.S. as opposed to using the starter. One (maybe the only) benefit of the 'mild hybrid' in the RAM is that it makes A.S.S. imperceptible (which you certainly can't say for Ford's current implementation of A.S.S.).
I had a 2018 also and was pretty smooth actually.

I don't really like having my truck turn on and off so I bought one of those electronic things that made the truck hold you last setting. I kept mine off all the time.

When I sold my truck I took it off. Hope it will work on the 21.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Don't know if you have seen these photos of the chassis without the body. To me I don't know why it would be a problem but I don't know what it takes to a goose neck hitch but in the photos it looks like plenty of room. You can see the battery case sits below the cross frame member, I assume that is where a goose neck hitch attaches.

Maybe this will help.
Thank you - this is very helpful! It's certainly looking hopeful for a gooseneck hitch. Perhaps they'll be able to give you a definitive answer at the test drive event.

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
Man, I dunno at this point.. I hope it does work without running the engine..
I mean it has a 1.5kwh battery so it can run a few things for a while..
But who knows.. :)
From what i read about that is when the battery comes with low power, the engine will start by itself. All is managed by the computer. You do not have to intervene in the process. And with the 7.2 kw it will be able to have 36 hours of running with a full tank.
Sponsored